Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Getting more MPG than specs state I should :-)

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 10:48 PM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default Getting more MPG than specs state I should

So today we worked on the truck, replaced the rear break shoes which went rather easy ..... well, after I did one went quick for the second and turned out that my front are still mint so left them, just cleaned them up, change the oil, oil filter and air filter.

I have not really checked to see how many MPG I have been getting but as my trip back home was 300km I was able to get an idea of what my highway MPG would work out to.

I got 298km with 28liters which works out to 185.17miles with 7.4 Gallons (US)

In turn I was getting 25.02/MPG

According to http://www.fueleconomy.gov the 1995 Chevrolet Blazer 4WD with Premium Gas should be as follows:

So in 1995 my Blazer being new using Premium Gas I should get 19MPG(hwy).

With my 15 year old Blazer I'm getting 25MPG and I do not use Premium. I use the cheapest regular gas I can get Oh and forgot to mention, during my trip home I had 4 tires on rims which weighted a fair amount and tools in the back which I would like to think without these i would get a mile or two more mpg without the weight.

So anyways, figured I'd share. This week I'm still going to replace my fuel filter and spark plugs so not sure if they will help anymore or not.

Last edited by carterx; 05-25-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 05-25-2009, 11:59 PM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

Hmm, if you did the calculations right, then Congrats! I wish I was getting 25mpg on the highway... I get like 18.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:10 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by okvortec
Hmm, if you did the calculations right, then Congrats! I wish I was getting 25mpg on the highway... I get like 18.
I think I got the calculations right. Can anyone double check.

For being almost a 15 year old truck, you'd think i would be below standard specs.

If I'm right with the calculations, would be nice as I will be towing two motorcycles and a full truck across Canada for about 6200-6500kms. Better my gas mileage the better I will feel when I fork over the cash for gas for the trip.

Old 05-26-2009, 12:27 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Hell yeah! My model cranks out 11.4 tons of Green House gas per year according to that chart! See, I AM helping the environment by driving an SUV. Plants love green houses right?

Old 05-26-2009, 12:55 AM
okvortec is on a distinguished road

I didn't doubt you I was just saying. But since you asked, I double checked and you're right. 25mpg ain't bad!!!

Originally Posted by carterx
I think I got the calculations right. Can anyone double check.

For being almost a 15 year old truck, you'd think i would be below standard specs.

If I'm right with the calculations, would be nice as I will be towing two motorcycles and a full truck across Canada for about 6200-6500kms. Better my gas mileage the better I will feel when I fork over the cash for gas for the trip.

Old 05-26-2009, 01:11 AM
Starting Member

I went through it 4 times just to see if I was doing it right. Horrible trying to convert miles to km and gas etc lol

Old 05-28-2009, 11:04 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I have a little wheel to calculate these things, best I've seen with my 05 5 spd is 28 so I'm happy with that.
Of course that's assuming the wheel is accurate lol...

Old 05-28-2009, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Thats an impressing number...I'm curious to see what mine would be, but the math confuses the hell out of me lol. Not my strong point!

How you liking being back home carter?

Old 05-28-2009, 02:03 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by Sisk28
Thats an impressing number...I'm curious to see what mine would be, but the math confuses the hell out of me lol. Not my strong point!

How you liking being back home carter?
Still here in BC. Hitch up the packed trailer and truck next Thursday and head to NS. Hope to do it in about 4 days. So hopefully into NS late Sunday or early Monday morn.

Will see

Old 05-28-2009, 03:14 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

oh..haha my bad. Thought you were comin back this week for some reason.
I'd be impressed if you could do it in 4 days, although it usually takes me about 2 to get to Toronto...so 4 could be do able.

Quick Reply: Getting more MPG than specs state I should :-)