Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Giant Swans in Alberta

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 10:58 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough
Default Giant Swans in Alberta

Sounds like a special news update, but I just wanted to share a cool experience I had today. Some of you may know that I am an Avian enthusiast, and I love everything about birds. Ive driven through Camrose a few times this year and seen these, but always had a trailer on so I cant really stop and investigate. Today I got to bobtail so I stopped!

These are Trumpeter Swans, they are an endangered species. 2 pairs live in this pond area for spring and summer, and the locals tell me the city then recaptures them in the fall and has a place for them to ride out the winter. They have also had babies last couple years, but nobody knew if they flew away in the winter or what happened to them. They also all said they have never seen the birds fly away, they are just always sunning and swimming in this pond till they get captured again. I estimate they weigh 20 pounds at least and have a footprint 8-10 inches long. The metal band on its leg would fall off even the fattest mans thumb I think its about 2" diameter at least. This bird is easily 3x larger than a canada goose and probably very very loud... Hence the name I guess. Some locals said they have heard them singing in the mornings.

From what I have read, the pairs mate for life, and both parents are there for the whole deal. They have young ever 3-5 years, and can live over 30 years. The young stay with the adults for 2 years, then they find their own mate and take off. This is why you most always see swans in pairs. A lone swan is usually widowed, and will slowly will itself to die with no mate. They have a wingspan of over 7 feet and they need alot of "runway" to take off, and they will always be near water cause thats what their runway is.. They eat vegitation and small bugs and fish. They can really move on water with their huge webbed feet.

Camrose Trumpeter Swans 28/08/11 - YouTube

Old 08-29-2011, 01:29 PM
Starting Member
grizzstang is on a distinguished road

And they taste like chicken and are best served with rice.

Old 08-29-2011, 06:02 PM
Beginning Member
Nepa is on a distinguished road

I would like to hear some footage of the honking, thanks for sharing, they look like interesting birds.