Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Harbor freight

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2013, 08:43 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

I have a harbor frt welder. Its ok for small jobs. I have used it on body work and lawn equipment. But yes no heavy duty work. Play big get big tools. Small jobs harbor frt works fine.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:30 AM
1sttimejimmyowner is on a distinguished road

I picked up a 3 ton low profile rapid pump hydrolic jack there last week for about $75 onsale.Im very happy with it so far.

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

if any 1 has big welding jobs Come over Ill be glad to help =P

I also have a small miller mig. The HF ones look ok but I doubt they would be very good for large jobs like stated above.

Attached Thumbnails Harbor freight-pict1605.jpg  
Old 01-27-2013, 05:03 PM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

Take the money you have saved and look for a Miller or Lincoln or even a Hobart on craigslist. Also keep an eye out for auctions of farms, shops, and any business that deals with metals or fabrication. Alot of times you can get really good deals. A buddy picked up a Miller engine drive ARC unit for under $150 at an auction last year. Tuned up the motor, a set of leads, and it works like a new unit.

Old 02-24-2013, 05:17 PM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road

gio, if you lived closer, I would love to take you up on that offer.

Old 02-24-2013, 06:23 PM
rockp2 will become famous soon enough

I have a Lincoln MIG, Hobart Stick & HF TIG/Stick. I do some gunsmithing and needed a TIG quick one day. The Lincoln MIG does a great job. The Hobart Stick (AC/DC)does an awesome job. The HF TIG/Stick sucks (though it does have a high duty-cycle). Do yourself a favor and save for a Lincoln MIG at a minimum. They only have about a 20% duty-cycle at max amps but the welds are clean and you get good penetration. It is a great welder if you are a beginner and unless you are building trailer frames or something, 20% duty-cycle serves a "weekend warrior" fairly well. For heavier stock, I highly recommend the Hobart AC/DC Stick welder or a 240 MIG.

Bottom line, though I do a lot of shopping at HF, I'd stay away from their welders and spend the extra money to get a reliable machine.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:25 PM
Beginning Member
rockbuggy4x4 is on a distinguished road

i've gotten quite a few tools from HF. never had issues. i would get a dual voltage a tight budget. that way its small, portable, and you can plug it into any 110 outlet. (great for small stuff) or you can run a 220 outlet in your garage to weld slightly larger stuff. that way you can still weld almost any automotive part that you need to and still have a low budget. also get the warranty just in case.

Old 02-25-2013, 02:31 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

I will be getting a harbor freight welder in the near future, dont know how to weld but will learn quick

Old 02-25-2013, 05:50 AM
Starting Member
kenny100034 is on a distinguished road

Newguy, I think that you are the closest person to me on this forum. I'm between the hf welder and the tractor supply job smart or Hobart 125 ez hobarts 200 more than the others but also more respectable name.

Old 02-25-2013, 06:52 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by kenny100034
Newguy, I think that you are the closest person to me on this forum. I'm between the hf welder and the tractor supply job smart or Hobart 125 ez hobarts 200 more than the others but also more respectable name.
For me, I`ll be learning on it. Get a cheap one to learn on, if I suck at it no big loss. And we have a pro one at work, but just want one for small stuff at home

Quick Reply: Harbor freight