Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

To heck with insurance companies!

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2011, 09:57 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road
Angry To heck with insurance companies!

So guess what... I found the car ive wanted since i was 12.

A hugger orange 1999 Camaro Z/28 T top.

I have the money and im almost out of school yesterday and im going straight to the dealership. But my mom texts me "insurance company wont cover the camaro."

Because the car is on High performance list, they wont cover it. No higher prices, no restrictions, they just wont insure it. Needless to say, im angry. We get them to reconsider and finally get them to cut us a "deal". We got everything from cars to house on one policy. They say they will insure it for $700/ 6 months if my dad gets on a different plan with him as primary driver and me as part time. When we get to lookin at it we realize i have to pay the $1200 inexperience fee... twice. Since i live in the same house and therefore have access to cars on both plans, I get charged on both plans.

I understand im a high risk driver and im fine to pay more for a fast car. But based on the facts that i have: 14 months experience with no accidents, tickets, warnings, pulls, etc; am an honor student; work part time; and am considered part time driver i think 2400 a year is a little steep.

Im goin on and on about this but my main point is: Does anyone have ideas on how i can get this car insured for less than $2600 extra? Cuz thats more than half of what im paying for the car itself and thats with liability only.

Thanks for the time guys and the space to type furiously, Blazerforum

Old 03-01-2011, 10:00 PM
s14sh3r is on a distinguished road

Check with other insurance companies. Some companies are more strict than others. See what your local insurance agencies have to offer, and check online too. Geico, Progressive, etc...

Old 03-01-2011, 10:20 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

Most states have a low mileage plan that is worth looking into if you drive less than 7500 miles per year.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:32 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

Crazy, we have no options here, we only get screwed for motorcycle insurance in manitoba

Old 03-01-2011, 10:37 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Just so you know, I was paying $3200.00 a year for my 2003 Cavalier that I was ocassional driver on. I'm paying $2600 a year with full coverage including collision on my 06 Sierra as primary.

My blazer was 1900 after I had 3 years of driving with no tickets or accidents, came down from 2300.

I'm 20 and started driving on my 16th birthday.

Old 03-01-2011, 10:56 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough

oh man i always knew you guys in ontario had it rough, same with alberta i hear.
When i was 16 i had my s10 and it ran me 40 bucks a month insured under my name
with the blazer i spend 148 per month with 1mil liability and 200 deductible im.umm..****..i think 23, man i always forget, oh ya 22, goin 23 this year, after im 21 i just stopped caring, and only time i use my age is for cycling racing, and racing age is your age at the end of the year so i always think im a year older than i am.

OK ANYWAYS
148 a month, ive had 2 speeding tickets, 1 at fault accident with the s10 (stupid brakes malfunctioned, rear ended someone). 2 at fault in the blazer (140 damage to the blazer, got into big fight with insurance, should have not been at fault but the **** got one of his friends to say he was a witness). other at fault in the blazer got t-boned by a guy in a cav speeding, but because i was making a left turn i was crossing his lane so i was at fault. No tickets or accidents in last year though.BUT tickets and accidents never had an impact on how much my insurance was, only things i had was a $400 surcharge on my license.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:02 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by offroadwnc
So guess what... I found the car ive wanted since i was 12.

A hugger orange 1999 Camaro Z/28 T top.

I understand im a high risk driver and im fine to pay more for a fast car. But based on the facts that i have: 14 months experience with no accidents, tickets, warnings, pulls, etc; am an honor student; work part time; and am considered part time driver i think 2400 a year is a little steep.
first of all, don't take this too personally, i'm just going on what you have thrown up here already.

you're going to be driving a vehicle that is 2/3 of the weight of your Blazer, with twice the power........you do the math (in their eyes).

so you've been driving for a little more than a year, with nothing attached to your licence.........yet. bnig deal. in the insurance companies mind, it's going to happen, just a matter of when. unfortunately, if you prove them wrong by staying clean, you can't go back to them 5 years from now saying, "look, i've got a 6 star driving record, so i want all the extra money back you over charged me all these years.". it ain't gonna happen.

i'm sure the insurance companies in your State have the same access the ones here in Ontario do, and that's to be able to see just how often you've been pulled over. doesn't matter if you were given a ticket or anything, but every time your name is put into their computers (the cops), it is a record of you being stopped. doesn't matter the reason, the insurance companies use this to their advantage.

i was once stopped 4 times in less than 2 hours one night in my first Dart (21 year old in a muscle car painted vitamin C orange with a black lift off fiberglass hood) for a burned out HL. when my insurance came due for renewall, i was asked why i had been stopped so much. couldn't figure out what she was talking about, 'til she mentioned that it was all within 2 days (first stop happened around 11pm, so they saw 2 different dates).

don't get me wrong, i've gotten screwed before by the insurance companies before, simply because i was a young male that drove something other than a 4 cylinder ricer.

i know it sucks when you'll pay for the car twice within a couple of years (insurance + buying cost), but you need to decide if having your car now is more important than saying "screw you!" to the insurance companies.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:09 PM
Beginning Member
offroadwnc is on a distinguished road

Yea i understand what your saying. I have no problem with paying an inexperience rate and paying more money for a faster car. I just dont see why they should make me pay 2 inexperience rates. It aint like theres 2 of me out there driving.

Unless i can figure out a way around this i have to wait a year and 10 months when my inexperience is off there. At which point ill be (maybe) in college or working full time i dunno. But either way i wont be able to afford just the car by then. And i guess what really gets me mad is that 1) i know 2 people (16 and 18) with v8 sports cars and i wanna know how they afford it. and 2) the kid down the road from me has totalled 3 cars already and can still get a Honda Prelude that is just as quick as a z28.

I am currently having a person a Progressive look over our policy and see if we can find a better company. I know they see me as a wreck waiting to happen but after 12 years with this company and not a single claim, you would think they might do somethin back for us.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:00 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by offroadwnc
i guess what really gets me mad is that 1) i know 2 people (16 and 18) with v8 sports cars and i wanna know how they afford it. and 2) the kid down the road from me has totalled 3 cars already and can still get a Honda Prelude that is just as quick as a z28.
i know, it makes no sense sometimes.

i had some tool in a Civic side swipe my 1st Dart (the orange one mentioned above), and i got blamed for it.

the Civic driver's front bumper made a crease in that started in the rear 1/3 of my passenger door, and went down the whole side of the car, ending @ the front bumper. which in turn hooked his rear wheel well opening, spinning him across the front of my car & caved in his door & rear quarter.

the first cop that came to the collision-less than 30 seconds after the call was put in (long before all of us had cell phones) was pissed off from the start ('cause he was getting a bj down the street) threatened to "tear that POS (pointing to my Dart) off that one, if you don't get them off the street now!"

he ended up giving me a fail to yeild (even though the other guy had parked cars in his lane & was clearly behind me), fail to have proper plates on the car (wasn't transfered over yet, but we have 6 days legally to do so & the car was properly insured). the SOB further screwed me by having a heart attack 6 days later, and never filed his tickets. apparently they have 10 days to do so. but the insurance company didn't care, they had a collision report stating i was @ fault, couldn't go to court to fight the ticklets ('cause he never properly filed them).

insurance almost tripled. went from just over $1300/yr to just under $3200/yr, and that was for a POS Omni! took me almost 3 years to get that corrected, and all they did was correct my driving record. never got a refund for the over charges.

ok, rant over! still pisses me off to this day (happened 18 1/2 years ago)

kinda makes you go, WTF! when you see ***-hats like your buddy wrecking all those cars, and still being able to drive something other than some rust bucket.

i feel for ya brother.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Yeah, insurance price is outrageous mine is $45 a month just for my 84 blazer and I'm 18 and have every discount possible including honor student discount.

Quick Reply: To heck with insurance companies!