Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

How do TV shows know how many viewers they have?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 11:17 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point
Default How do TV shows know how many viewers they have?

I was just thinking about how TV shows know how many people are viewing their program so they can rate it and what not... I'm sure it's simple but just wondering.

Old 12-20-2009, 11:28 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

Well, told me:

Computers.

Direct tv, comcast and your local cable company, run their entire operation through computers. one, to control paying customers and non-paying customers. two, computers keep tabs on what channel and what programs you are watching. this is money for the cable companies.

Television stations pay money to the cable companies for this information. television stations base their commerical fees on this information. this is a win win situation for the cable companies. this is also how a television station can declare that they are number one in news, weather, etc.

also, since this is a Blazer Forum, you might want to throw a bowtie on the old direct tv dish,,,,

Old 12-21-2009, 07:08 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

I have always wondered that, but have been to lazy to search and find out why.. hahhaha

when they say #1 show i always ramble off some lude comments and change the channel, unless its something actually worth watching haha

Old 12-21-2009, 08:33 PM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

That Neilson guy tells them. He knows what you've been watching... muwhahahahahahah!

Old 12-21-2009, 08:40 PM
oisinirish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by LuvMyTJ
That Neilson guy tells them. He knows what you've been watching... muwhahahahahahah!
Who? Leslie? Or his AKA Frank Drebin?

Last edited by oisinirish; 12-21-2009 at 08:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2009, 09:17 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road

In the old days, they had to get statisticians to go out and get a representative sample (say 1000 Neilsen houses in the suburbs, 1000 in the cities, 1000 in the country etc.), then you calculate the average, standard deviation and variance, then I think you use a Z-test to project the numbers out to the whole public. That gives you a range (i.e. you say I want to be 95% accurate, so the Z-test returns: Between 5 and 10 people are watching Al Gore's speech [just a joke!] or if you want to be 99% accurate then it would be a wider range, say between 1 and 15.) And because all data is eventually empirical, it's a pretty darn good chance that the exact answer is smack dab in the middle of that range.

Source:
I got a B in the highest level of Statistics my HS offered, so at least 80% of that should be correct -- Or your money back

Regards,

Thomas

Old 12-22-2009, 12:18 AM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

So the moral is: Take care when watching the **** channels - big brother knows who you are & what you're up to! LOL

Old 12-22-2009, 06:14 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about

lmfao!!!!!!!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:34 AM
Starting Member
taba5 is on a distinguished road

roflmao

Old 12-22-2009, 08:19 AM
LuvMyTJ is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by TFisher
In the old days, they had to get statisticians to go out and get a representative sample (say 1000 Neilsen houses in the suburbs, 1000 in the cities, 1000 in the country etc.), then you calculate the average, standard deviation and variance, then I think you use a Z-test to project the numbers out to the whole public. That gives you a range (i.e. you say I want to be 95% accurate, so the Z-test returns: Between 5 and 10 people are watching Al Gore's speech [just a joke!] or if you want to be 99% accurate then it would be a wider range, say between 1 and 15.) And because all data is eventually empirical, it's a pretty darn good chance that the exact answer is smack dab in the middle of that range.

Source:
I got a B in the highest level of Statistics my HS offered, so at least 80% of that should be correct -- Or your money back

Regards,

Thomas
Actually, they didn't send anyone out, they sent you a card and you filled in what you watched. When I was about 13 or so, my family was one of the family's chosen to poll. After a set period of time, you send the card back to them and they tally them all up and make a report.

Quick Reply: How do TV shows know how many viewers they have?