Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

How's Work Going?

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2011, 10:26 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road
Default How's Work Going?

Just wondering how things are going for all of you, where the work is, where it is slow, and where things are going good?

Please state a general location and what you do for a living with your response.

Here in central Florida its a mixed bag, some people can't find a job at all, for some have changed to completely different carrers to make ends meet, and some are too busy to keep up.

Personally I am a plumber (commercial new construction) and we are very busy nothing major but lots of smaller jobs $10k or less bid price.

It really started picking back up around Sept. last year.

Before that I was working nights unloading trucks from around May of 2009 to make ends meet

Old 07-30-2011, 11:08 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

i live upstate ny and im a computer technician any ways its slow here since im livein pay check to paycheck i found a great deal for tires for my truck but im short on money =( these are them http://utica.craigslist.org/pts/2499575161.html

any ways i also found out my truck needs a cap and a rotor yay me an other thing to add to my todo list

Edit: i think this is just a rant Sorry =(

Last edited by xgiovannix12; 07-30-2011 at 11:36 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:37 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

I live in akron,ohio (wish it was florida lol). i work at American medical response, and im a service support tech, i get the ambulances ready to hit the road. It did get semi slow due to contract changes, but its really picking up now. Im this biz theirs always a super busy then in about 2 years it gets slow...just whenever the next contract is up and when they get a new one.

Old 07-31-2011, 05:26 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by red06sc
I live in akron,ohio (wish it was florida lol). i work at American medical response, and im a service support tech, i get the ambulances ready to hit the road. It did get semi slow due to contract changes, but its really picking up now. Im this biz theirs always a super busy then in about 2 years it gets slow...just whenever the next contract is up and when they get a new one.

Yeah I understand about contracts my wife works for EMS and they are losing one of the two counties they cover, alot of paramedics and 911 operators are up for the axe in october.

Old 07-31-2011, 07:32 PM
Starting Member
btmbass is on a distinguished road

I work in a call center in NW burbs of Chicago. I'm a level 2 technical support rep for a computer that primarily has upgrades and accessories for Apple computers. We have been super busy since Apple is going to so strong.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:36 AM
Starting Member
red06sc is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by kevlar974
Yeah I understand about contracts my wife works for EMS and they are losing one of the two counties they cover, alot of paramedics and 911 operators are up for the axe in october.
Hey if worse comes to worse, they have american medical responce aka AMR down in Florida, just not sure if its in your area.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Beginning Member
racer1044 is on a distinguished road

I live just south of jax florida. Moved down here after attending UTI for diesel repair. I couldnt find a job for that when I moved down here. A couple of smaller shops offered me jobs changing tires and stuff for minum wage but I found a job at advance auto running the commerical counter. Im transfering up to marquette MI in two weeks and from what I have heard things are really slow in the U.P.

Old 08-01-2011, 10:55 AM
litterbug will become famous soon enough

i live in southeastern wisconsin. and i have been working at Lakeshore Inc. which is a company that does yacht care, carpet and upholstery cleaning, and flood damage restoration. mainly they have me on carpet. last summer i spent all my time on the boat side. business is kicking up here seeing as i am working 5-7 days a week sometimes. pay is good too seeing as how i am still living with my father.

going to school in the fall and spring for HVAC or heating and ac. mainly night classes so i can still keep my job.

Old 08-01-2011, 12:00 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Sat through ISO Vibration Certification level II training last week. Was very informative and will help with my product line responsibility. Now I need to get in some ANSYS Modal Analysis courses so I can get ahead of some of the questions I take on a fairly routine basis.

Spent 35 minutes in a burning building this morning (4hrs total on scene that started at 1AM). Got a slight burn on my face from the radiant heat coming off my mask after leaving the building & shutting my air off. Slight burns on the tips of my fingers from removing my SCBA mask as well (took my gloves off before taking my mask off ). My coat was steamy for 10-15 minutes after we came out! It was cookin'!

Old 08-01-2011, 12:31 PM
leeclark is an unknown quantity at this point

i'm a welder/ fitter here in central VA. things are going pretty good for me. i'm normally working 48 hrs every week as i've done all yr long. probably be workin 7 days a week somtime this month till the end of the year.

Quick Reply: How's Work Going?