Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Hurricane prep

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 01:49 AM
ComputerNerdBD is on a distinguished road
Default Hurricane prep

Hi everyone. I am at my off campus apartment and I am starting classes on Monday. It is in upstate NY in the hurricane's path. While it might be downgraded to a tropical storm by the time it gets here, is there anything special I should do to prepare the truck for the storm to prevent or mitigate any damage (other than obvious stuff like not parking near trees or power lines) when I park the truck for the storm? I have no garage here, so it will be outside. The apartment seems to be outside of the flood zones on maps, so I don't foresee the truck getting damaged or swept away by flood waters (or I wouldn't be typing this message now and I would be evacuating the area).

Should I be doing stuff like putting a grocery bag over my air filter to keep water out or putting duct tape on the windows to keep them from shattering in a million pieces if something hits them or sealing the windows and doors with tape (I know there is a leak from the rear somewhere. Unknown where, but high pressure spray from the car wash makes the rearmost part of the headliner damp. I resealed where my Sirius antenna comes in via the stoplight with Max Black RTV to see if that is where.) or other stuff like that?

To top it off, I need to make sure that any preparations can be undone so I can drive the truck in the conditions if I need to get out of here. Also, I don't foresee the college cancelling classes on Monday even if the conditions are still bad (they have classes even with feet of snow on the ground or flooding. Since they assume most of the students live on campus, they don't care about people who know dorm life isn't for them and commute to campus, so they put all of the commuters at risk. Thank god I have gotten good at controlling this truck in dangerous weather.).

Old 08-27-2011, 01:55 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

there is nothing much we can do i dont think cobleskill should flood but yea stay away from holes and power poles /lines

Old 08-27-2011, 09:32 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Fill it with fuel. Check tire pressures to make sure you dont have a flat. Make sure the battery is good. Check fluid levels. Just prep it like youre going on a trip. Put some water on board with non-perishable foods. Extra clothes, sleeping bag ect.

Goto FEMA.GOV for disaster preparedness information. They are the experts.

Good luck. Be safe.

Old 08-27-2011, 01:37 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by kristoph30
Fill it with fuel. Check tire pressures to make sure you dont have a flat. Make sure the battery is good. Check fluid levels. Just prep it like youre going on a trip. Put some water on board with non-perishable foods. Extra clothes, sleeping bag ect.

Goto FEMA.GOV for disaster preparedness information. They are the experts.

Good luck. Be safe.

I agree I did fill up my parents and my truck

I didnt think of clothes but yea thanks for the idea kristoph

Old 08-27-2011, 02:44 PM
Starting Member
darknight is on a distinguished road

Very good ideas everyone.. and good luck men!!!!

Old 08-27-2011, 03:10 PM

Thanks guys. I put gas in it a couple days ago and it is mostly full, but I am going to top it off now. I got a case of water in it and I am gathering my camping equipment in case I have to leave.

Kristoph30: Tires were just rotated and I just topped off the pressures, battery was replaced in June because the last one that was only 3 months old failed (obviously replaced with different brand), fluids are good and mostly new. Thanks for the tip.

Old 08-28-2011, 06:58 AM
kristoph30 is on a distinguished road

Not doubting your intelligence. But sometimes the obvious is forgotten in times of stress.

Old 10-26-2012, 01:28 AM

Here we go again with hurricanes in Upstate NY. I realize this thread is over a year old, but I think I should revive it since it is basically the same thing, but this time it is more serious. After seeing what happened with Irene and Lee last year with the extreme flooding and winds, I am going to prepare the truck the same as I did last year, but considering that they are expecting Sandy to be something like the "Perfect Storm" with high winds and rain with billions more in damage, what else could I do to keep this truck safe from damage? I don't have a garage available and while my apartment was not in the flood zone last year, I am concerned about the winds and possible debris strikes with windows and possibly things falling on it. Should I like cover the windows in plywood somehow? Or maybe I should get out of town and get a hotel room for a couple days until everything in this county calms down? They still haven't completely recovered from last year and now we have a bad storm that is going to possibly collide with another system and make an even worse storm.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 AM
ImageDynamix is on a distinguished road

Getting out of town wouldn't be a bad idea. Just get a bag ready before hand, that way you're not stressing while the storm is dropping buckets on you.

Look into building a bug out bag - something you can grab or already have in your Jimmy when crap hits the fan. Keep your Jimmy fueled up and ready to go. Make sure everything works properly, gas, oil, lights, horn, WIPERS, etc.

Make sure you have some cash with you, as well. Non perishable food wouldn't hurt, either

Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
Super Moderator
rexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura aboutrexmburns has a spectacular aura about

I'm just gonna go buy a new chainsaw and make some money cleaning up tree damage for all these sorry rich people that live around me

Quick Reply: Hurricane prep