Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Job at 15

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2012, 07:52 AM
Beginning Member
Wyatt Abshire is on a distinguished road
Default Job at 15

I'm 15 and am looking for ways to make some money and I'd love to be able to work around cars and trucks. If anyone has any ideas of place I could work they'd be greatly appreciated! I live in Roaonoke, VA incase any locals know.

Thanks in advance!
-Wyatt

Old 07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I did the RAP program thru my school... Registered Apptenticeship Program. I had a part time job at a repair shop helping the mechanics after school. I was paid, got schhol credits, and hours toward my apprenticeship. Ask your guidance councellor at school about it.

Dealerships, auto repair shops, those are the places you want to ask. Show initiative and go in and talk to the OWNERS about it and tell them what your intent is.

You will start out doing stuff like cleaning parts and shop/tools, changing oils and tires, and being the second pair of hands to the journeymen. Do a good job, have a good attitude, and do what is asked of you, be eager to learn, and you will go far.

Good luck, you could be a journeyman at 20, teaching guys older than you.

Last edited by ohsofly; 07-26-2012 at 09:36 AM.
Old 07-27-2012, 09:27 PM
Beginning Member
forestghost07 is on a distinguished road

Hey Wyatt, I know its way harder now than when I was a mid-teen (early 80's) but you might get lucky like I did - you may have to wait a bit till you're 16 then hit the car dealers.
I got my 1st job at one at 16 1/2. Sorry we're not neighbors - I could use some willing help with my 13 old Blazer and 40 yr old MG lol. Kids in my hood are so ghetto, not 1 bit interested in cars

Old 07-30-2012, 12:04 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

At 15 ya gonna be hard pressed to find much more than burger flipping jobs. Most car dealers and such have machinery and chemicals that OSHA require you to be 18 to work around. Even if they might look at ya to detail cars and trucks its gonna require you to drive them and I doubt their insurance is gonna cover you at 15 even in their parking lot.

Old 07-30-2012, 03:46 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I couldn't get a job involving cars until I was 18 but I work at a body shop now.

Old 07-30-2012, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

i started washing and detailing cars at 15. a friend of mine worked there so he got me in. it was kinda a good slow introduction to cars. we would occasionally do oil changes, some body work and other little minor repairs if the dealership wanted us to

Old 07-30-2012, 10:28 PM
97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough97cherryblazer will become famous soon enough

I highly advise against getting a fast food job (unless you need a job badly then by all means get one) But my first job was working for a contractor doing remodels when i was 15 and i also got a job as a ski and snowboard instructor in the winter and am still doing both today (im 18) and now i also got a job working at Jack in the Box and it is the most annoying thing in have ever had to deal with to put it nicely. The ideas and policies that the stores are run on are astronomically stupid, its a revolving door for employees and its packed full of people who want to do the least amount work possible to get the job their idea of done.

Although if you have to get a fast food job i do recommend working at McDonald's because i never hear a complaint from their employees and they get a lot of benefits. But above all i recommend getting a job doing something you like and if you can show you like what your doing you will find its easier to get a job. I am also going to start searching for a job in a shop because i love working on cars.

good luck

Old 07-31-2012, 12:44 PM
Beginning Member
Wyatt Abshire is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the input! Sorry havent had internet for the last few days (one of the disadvantages of living in the country). I have realised that its difficult to get one before im atleast 16 and am able to drive, and as far as the fast food. My family owns 13 Wendys but I dont think its worth minnimum wage to have to deal with my mom breathing down my neck 24/7... When I can drive im gonna go hit up dealerships or local garages to see if i can do some work for them, Thanks again for all the help!

Old 07-31-2012, 03:30 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

I was raised and still live on a farm. You gonna wind up doing a job at some point in your life you don't like. I can't tell ya how many jobs I've done growing up I hated and pay was nothing more than a roof and meals.

If fast food puts money on the table so be it. The young and inexperienced can't always be picky about the job they can get. If they could I would have taken over an electrical business at 18 instead of spending 6 years going to school, being trained, and testing for a license. The way the economy is right now you better take anything you can get to gain experience and have a good background. You can always look for better jobs while you work.

Old 08-04-2012, 09:55 AM
IanD is on a distinguished road

It's going to be hard finding a job at 15, I just started working this summer doing some work as a farmhand and as a tour guide for a kayak company (I'm 16 turning 17 next month) and really I could find no place to hire me prior to being 16 just because in MD (not sure about VA) once you turn 16 most of the working restrictions lift and you are allowed to work 40 hours a week.

Just as Neo said, you can't be picky about jobs especially being as young as we are - I believe that McDonalds pays $8/hr which is better than minimum (in MD) 7.25/hr

Quick Reply: Job at 15