Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Just a box

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 12:44 AM
Beginning Member
SldAxl85 is on a distinguished road
Default Just a box

I made a box i think everyone should have in there Blazer. I got a few pine boards, a couple hinges, a lock, some rope(for the handles) and made a box (kinda like a big dinamite box). I put my axe, rope, comalong, wedge, flashlight, rain coat folded up, 2 pairs of gloves, i got a plastic folgers container and put matches firestarter and lighters in it, chain, tow straps, first aid kit, some basic hand tools, jumper cables, a couple freeze dried meals, water purifier, wisperlight stove and fuel, mini propain tank and small space heater, and a bunch of other stuff i might need when in the woods. Its real nice to have in the back and doesnt take up much room. good to know you have everything you might need.

Just thought id share with you my idea. it could save your life!

Old 05-31-2010, 12:57 AM
Starting Member
EzTec is on a distinguished road

You forgot the mini-fridge, a full size adult cow, butcher, bartender, and the Motel 6.

And of course, the kitchen sink. lol.

That actually is a good idea. I don't know about ALL of that stuff, but definitely the tow straps, first aid kit, jumper cables, flashlight, tools, rain coat and gloves. The rest of the stuff, only if you plan on going Bear Grylls style.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:14 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

I would like to see a picture of this box. I have too many things rolling around in the Blazer. I like my Blazer, but I would do better with a pickup with a tool box. If you found some possible way to make it look decent and still be able to fold down the seats for a nap than show us please!

Old 05-31-2010, 06:21 PM
Starting Member
EzTec is on a distinguished road

For me, I have a 2 door with my spare tire inside, and just behind my spare tire is a compartment (don't know if all of them have it), and this compartment is large enough to fit almost all of that stuff, and then some. So, for me, I don't have to do anything. For the rest, it shouldn't be a big problem to make a box that will stand up and sit flush with the inside panel. I'll try and get a photoshopped mock up.

Edit: Here's that mock up. I did an MS Paint----shopped.

I'm still trying to think about how to get it secured to the inside panel. I was thinking some double sided 3M tape, but something more secure would be something like caulk, or rubber cement.

Last edited by EzTec; 05-31-2010 at 07:04 PM.
Old 05-31-2010, 06:48 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I like the idea but you carry a LOT more than what I do. I have what I call my offroad bag (straps, ****** block, tire repair kit, tree protector, folding shovel/pick/axe and a few other items) plus my tool bag (wrenches [SAE and metric], sockets/ratchet [SAE/metric], allen wrenches [again SAE and metric], plus other stuff) PLUS is have a triage kit and jumper cables stuffed in one cubby hole and electrical tools/terminals in the other cubby hole. When I go to play offroad I'll strap my "offroad box" (MORE offroad/heavier duty gear) in the back and I'm all set.

I don't carry food or survival equipment unless I go hunting. That is a whole other matter!

And Xhowevermuchweareupto on pics of said box and gear.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:39 AM
Joemakerman is on a distinguished road

Yeah Xhowevermuchweareupto plus one, on pics. I think that'd be a good idea but I'm unsure how I'd fit it in the truck. I do like EzTec's idea of the box behind the spare. Perhaps also maybe get some dimensions for the sizing of this box?

-Joe

Old 06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
jdespain is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by EzTec
Edit: Here's that mock up. I did an MS Paint----shopped.

I have seen a tool box of an almost identical design at my local Tractor Supply store. I think it was originally designed for small pick-ups and fits behind the fender well just like pictured. If I remember correctly, the options were plastic or diamond plate. I like this idea.

Old 06-01-2010, 08:49 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Im a cub scout pack leader, I have most of that emergency stuff in a very small package to carry in my backpack. One of our yearly projects is to make an emergency kit to pack along on camps and hikes. Good idea though and some of that larger stuff would sure be handy, maybe this summer Ill try and make a fibreglass storage box like that in mine. Ive been wanting to experiment with fibreglass more in the last years. I worked at a stereo shop that used alot of it to make sub boxes. Stinks, but you can make whatever you imagine with it.

Old 06-02-2010, 11:32 PM
Beginning Member
SldAxl85 is on a distinguished road

Sorry folks I moved and cant find my camera so i had to use my phone wich is my crappy backup because i shatterd mine.. no luck with phones seems like the crappier the phone the longer it lasts!

neways... heres a couple pics of the box i made!

I have all that stuff in the box because I go drive for days in mountains in my Blaze and explore new places I havnt seen so if something were to happen Its not like its a few hours to get help ya no.

I even have an extra battery thats charged with a battery charger pack and it has a power outlet on it and if you can see in the one pic i have a little dc heater i keep in there just incase. If my experience has tought me anything its you never know what to expect so prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

I dont know if you can tell but i made a frame around the bottom of the box (bolted to the box) out of angle iron and on the bottom of it i welded 2 wheels to the one end and on the other end i welded 2 valve springs so it can sit in the back against the back seat and has some 'boyency(sp)' so to speak

Last edited by swartlkk; 06-03-2010 at 06:45 AM. Reason: **Combining Consective Posts** - Please use the EDIT feature to add information to your post if another member has yet to reply.
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM
Beginning Member
Jtizzle is on a distinguished road

I made a box for my car also in the same area but bigger. To keep it down I used Velcro along the bottom and side and it sticks perfectly to the carpet and it also removable if you need space

Quick Reply: Just a box