Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Just scored a "new" Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2012, 09:10 AM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road
Default Just scored a "new" Polaris

Just thought I would share that I just made a deal on a 1995-1996 Polaris Sportsman 500! It is all decked out with 4x4 and goodies like that, even has a "brush guard" on it (don't know if that came from the factory or if it is aftermarket, not that familiar with them) Made the deal for $1000, the only catch is that it doesn't run yet. It runs on ether, which leads me to think the very first thing I am going to be doing is draining the tank and cleaning the carbs. Do you think it is worth trying seafoam before taking the carbs completely out to clean them? I think I got a decent price, even for the condition since it is in great shape otherwise. Here is a pic of one similar to the one that I am getting. The color is the same, but the one I'm getting has that brush guard I was talking about

Old 04-16-2012, 01:06 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Good score. I wouldnt bother with the seafoam, and just get the water out of the carb bowls instead.

Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Drain the fuel, drop the bowls, replace the fuel filter. It's not that expensive and it's just added peace of mind. Maybe a new set of plugs and an oil change too while you're at it.

Good deal

Old 04-16-2012, 04:54 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by ohsofly
Good score. I wouldnt bother with the seafoam, and just get the water out of the carb bowls instead.
Originally Posted by oktain
Drain the fuel, drop the bowls, replace the fuel filter. It's not that expensive and it's just added peace of mind. Maybe a new set of plugs and an oil change too while you're at it.

Good deal
Good advice guys, thanks. Might get around to it this weekend...but that depends on farm work...

Old 04-16-2012, 07:40 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road
Old 04-17-2012, 09:57 AM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
Great way to clean up old carbs
Login

Login
Hmmmm, link isn't working for me...oh well I suppose. Depending on the weather thursday and friday I might be working on it this weekend. First thing I am gonna do is take everything apart and clean it and drain the tank. I will keep you guys posted on how it goes! If we are lucky I might even have pics lol

Old 04-17-2012, 12:09 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Great tip if you wanna try it
I was messing around trying to get a mini-tiller running and opened up several Walbro carbs to get the parts to make one work. All but one had fuel/water gunk in them and the sludge that leave behind.

I was temporarily out of carb cleaner so I saw that yellow can of PB Blaster and thought .. hmmmm...
Try it.. works like a champ!
All that crap in the carb gone away in a minute or two, nice and clean and shiny.

And doesnt screw up your skin, if it's old and crepey like mine.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:43 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by pettyfog
Great tip if you wanna try it
I was messing around trying to get a mini-tiller running and opened up several Walbro carbs to get the parts to make one work. All but one had fuel/water gunk in them and the sludge that leave behind.

I was temporarily out of carb cleaner so I saw that yellow can of PB Blaster and thought .. hmmmm...
Try it.. works like a champ!
All that crap in the carb gone away in a minute or two, nice and clean and shiny.

And doesnt screw up your skin, if it's old and crepey like mine.
Very nice, thanks. Thinking about it, using such a thing as PB Blaster or WD40 makes perfect sense. Plus it is something that is always laying around our shop. And about the skin...everyone will have that in due time, all in due time

Old 04-29-2012, 06:50 PM
Starting Member

Little up date since I worked on the 4 wheeler this weekend, and sorry guys, I miss spoke earlier. It is a Polaris 425 Magnum 4x4 but it is still a beast. But yeah, just as I thought when I tore the carb apart the main jet had only a pin hole opening, so I blew that out and put it back together. Everything else was clean as a whistle. Took a bit to put everything back together because I had to replace some fuel line that was cracked. Once it was back together the thing wouldn't start even with the rope because the battery was so dead it was robbing all the charge from the ignition. Threw the charger on the battery for a bit and then shot some ether in it and pulled the rope and she took right off! I will have to admit that thing can whip me around even for a 425 ha ha

Old 04-29-2012, 09:19 PM
10-78 edac is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 10-78 edac
Great way to clean up old carbs
Login

Login
Sorry for the bad link. I found out that if you pull the carbs, pull the jets, and float. put all the parts in a bowl of "Pinesol" over night. Rinse with water the next day and blow them out real good with air hose. They come out like new. The "Pinesol" will not attack the seals or rubber parts. Did this to a 30 year old motorcycle that was sitting for about 8 years and it still runs tip top. Also had a guy give me a 7.5h.p. power washer, I stored it for 5 years till I got around to it, drained old gas, "Pinesol" soak over night, put it together, and she starts on the first pull every time.

The Pine Sol Degreaser Thread - ADVrider

Quick Reply: Just scored a "new" Polaris