Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

The last of the winter projects:

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 09:22 PM
Banned
TFisher is on a distinguished road
Default The last of the winter projects:

As my Christmas break (more like a month off) draws to a close, I am finding that the project I wanted to do is going to be displaced by a project I have to do:

I was sent 100 miles north to a retirement community to retrieve a 1996 Chrysler Town and Country. I had one he** of a time getting back as my GPS said "You can't get there from here" and I was confused by the weird road layouts.*Just a side note, I would like to apologize to the people whose right-away I may have taken, to those who I refused to let merge and to those who just hate it when teens peel wheels behind their houses, trying to follow a bad driver in rush hour is a task that even Jeff Gordon would have trouble with, especially when your van goes 75 and your mom who you are following is in a car with way more engine than she can handle* But that's not the highlight, this particular vehicle that I was putting the hardest miles it would ever do on has a purpose and a history:

This soccer mom ready 1996 Chrysler Town and Country has about 59K on the odo and is all stock. Prolly hasn't had anything other than oil and filter changes done to it and has been driven by a lady who has driven a horse and buggy. Needless to say it has lived a life of luxury. But all good things must come to an end. The original owner is just a little too seasoned to drive anymore and didn't want it to go to waste. So, she kindly is giving it to her daughter of 70 years. The van has a few problems, some to be expected and some just weird:
The gasket around the windshield is shot
After a big rain, if you make a left turn, the owner says water will gush into the cab
The fuel gauge will sometimes start rapidly going down and then the low fuel light comes on, but then everything goes back to normal.
It has not top end power, and not a whole lot of low end power, but it moves when I ask it to.

The body is in great shape and the engine runs perfectly. Everything works on the inside, except for the radio -- the volume **** is possessed by the devil and needs an exorcism.

The purpose is to make this a second car for her daughter. However, it has a ways to go. To get it up to spec, I have been given the keys for as long as it takes and so I am putting this project front and center. It's got a good track record, the owner says it's the best car she's ever owned. I definitely felt potential as I drove it, could it be more comfortable? Yes. Is it a Blazer? Not even close. Could it be a nice car? I think yes.

My questions for you are:
1. How many miles can be expected out of this vehicle?
2. Are any needed fixes worth the cost?
3. What are your general thoughts?

I posted this in the lounge because it is off topic as far as the make and model are concerned, but Blazers were produced in '96 and it is an automobile that I will be getting maintenance done by yours truly.

P.S. Long car trips suck! I understand why they invented the plane!

Regards,

Thomas