The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Lift vs lockers

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 08:09 AM
BF Veteran
newguy will become famous soon enoughnewguy will become famous soon enough
Default Lift vs lockers

lifts are great and look good, but what good is it in mud or snow? I know it depends where you live. But it seems a simple cheap lift and a locker for your stock rearend would get you through an awful lot of conditions. Just throwing this out there and want to hear your thoughts

Old 01-31-2013, 03:28 PM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

depends, if ur stock height with a locker u have a better chance of goin thru things that a stock rig w/o a locker could....but ur heigth would limit u. im runnin 39.5" tires with lockers front and rear and i have troubles goin thru sum stuff. but like u said, depends where u live. i use mine mainly for snow and i have troubles runnin thru 6ft when im pushing 3ft of it. its all different. ur driving ability plays a big role too. just my opinion.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:34 PM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

Lifts give you clearence. Lockers give you traction. You can sit as high as you want, it doesnt give you the traction to get through an obstacle. Same with a locker... you can have all the traction in the world but if you arent able to clear it, it makes it that much more difficult. Its all a balancing act. For offroading I would never go without ATLEAST a locker in the rear differential. As far as lift, like said before, it depends where your going. Oh yea, dont forget tires... you can have all the above and go nowhere with a set of tires that arent proper for your adventures.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:28 PM
BF Veteran

I live in New England and spend a lot of time whitewater kayaking and camping. Not a real off roader person so I think my plan is a 2inch lift 2 inch body lift, lock right locker and 31s

Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

I would do a locker first. Even a gov-lock(G80) is good if you are just doing mild off-road. I have a lock-rite in the rear of my Blazer, and to be honest I wouldn't buy one again, it's noisy and its unpredictable. I would save for a selectable locker(ie ARB). It works great, don't get me wrong, just not great for a daily driver.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM
BF Veteran
Old 01-31-2013, 07:52 PM
Beginning Member
Mossyoaksilverado is on a distinguished road

The G80 wouldnt be a bad idea. I had one in my 2001 2500HD. When I parted ways with the truck at 97000+ miles it was still working great. I did everything from towing, mudding, offroading, and daily driving in that truck and never had a single problem from that locker. It would light up the set of 285s I was running like it was no problem. Some people say they are junk, I personally never had a problem. Then again I knew how to run my truck and its limitations. I never pushed it far beyond the capabilities of each component.

Also, I know everyone wont agree, but I have always tried to stay away from body lifts. Yes they are cheap, but you end up stretching wiring going from the cab to chassis, linkages never seem to operate the same, ect. Id do nice 3" kit with good shocks, some 31's with an AT pattern that has good mileage expectancy, and roll with it.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:10 PM
pj5454302 will become famous soon enough

locker +10000000000, I went places with stock size mudders and my rear locker that lifted jeeps with 33's could.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:27 PM
Diaita will become famous soon enoughDiaita will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by newguy
They work well, noisy and take a bit to get used to in a DD. $.02

I had one of these in my old p/u and it was like it wasn't even there, but decent traction. I installed a this in the rear of my Jeep, and it's quiet and not as unpredictable.

BUT, the Lock-right is cheap, does as it's supposed to, and seems to be reliable so far.

I also don't like body lifts, they only serve to install a slightly larger tire, with no clearance advantage. Only my opinion though...

Old 02-01-2013, 05:38 PM
duxtoyz is on a distinguished road

i have a lockrite in the front of mine and it is noisy when it engauges, but works like a champ. for a daily i wouldnt suggest it, but to each their own. a 2" body lift u should b fine, when u go bigger than that u get into stretching lines and such. i have a 3" on mine and i would of rather of done a 2". 31s are perfect for ur specific application.

Quick Reply: Lift vs lockers