Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

little over 60

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2009, 01:05 PM
Beginning Member
Jaxxon is on a distinguished road
Default little over 60

I came across some old back up CD's the other day and came across a pic that I thought I had lost. I'll tell you the story. My last car in the UK was a Seat Leon 2.0 TDI and I loved it but, it was either a Friday afternoon or a Monday morning made car. I had lots of problems with it to start with and it took a long time to get them all sorted out but the dealers where good and always sorted me out a car to use while mine was away. Well one of these times the dealer knew my car would be away for a while so got me a bigger then normal car to use

Now this was a quick SW. 150BHP 2.0 TDI and I know it is a Skoda but it's basically a VW Passat in a different body. This car was quick and after having it a few weeks I had to goto Germany for a week or so for work. So I packed a few things and took a friend of mine and off went. Well after a few days I decided I needed to see what this car could do, so, we found an autobahn with no speed limit and off we went this is the result.

Yes that is in MPH and no I did not take the pic, I was driving and sorry it's not good quality but it was taken on phone but you should just make out the speed I was doing.

This was a hire car so I know it was standed and when I got it, it only had 800 miles on the clock. I had it for 7 months and it went back with 27,000 on it.

Old 08-15-2009, 11:11 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Wow, you were moving, Stiggy would be proud lol.
I'd be afraid to get my Blazer up to that speed, I don't think it'd be too stable.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:13 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

I assuming the 2.0 TDI is the same as the VW. I drove an 05 VW Jetta wagon when new with a 5 speed. That thing was fast, smooth, & quiet. I couldn't believe its performance. I was entering the freeway & I was talking to the owner who was in the passenger seat, & accelerating normal, not winding it through the gears or anything & as I entered the freeway I looked at the speedo & was doing 85 mph. I was blown away. So to see that speed doesn't surprise me it just confirms they are fast. Not to mention 50-55 MPG on fuel.

Old 08-16-2009, 01:04 PM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 4x4blazerguy
I assuming the 2.0 TDI is the same as the VW. I drove an 05 VW Jetta wagon when new with a 5 speed. That thing was fast, smooth, & quiet. I couldn't believe its performance. I was entering the freeway & I was talking to the owner who was in the passenger seat, & accelerating normal, not winding it through the gears or anything & as I entered the freeway I looked at the speedo & was doing 85 mph. I was blown away. So to see that speed doesn't surprise me it just confirms they are fast. Not to mention 50-55 MPG on fuel.

This had the 6-speed box and according to the trip computer I was doing 18MPG, once I was crusing that is.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:54 AM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Only 18 MPG at 140 MPH? Wow, a 6 speed gear box. NICE. So what kind of fuel mileage would it get at 70 MPH?
I think that is a nice looking car. What are they selling for new? I wish we could get some of the cars built for overseas in this Country.

Old 08-20-2009, 10:38 AM
maximino is an unknown quantity at this point

boy you really were moving, really fast... the thing though when your driving on a no speed limit road is everyone else is driving as fast, or even faster than you are... so it kinda feels ordinary over time..

Old 08-21-2009, 10:50 PM
Beginning Member

4x4blazerguy
The Skoda use to get 60MPG at 70 but at 55 the computer would read 80MPG but only in 5th as you could not use 6th below 65. I don't know what the car would sell at over here but in the UK a new one would set you back £20,830

maximino
Most are not really going that fast 80-90 maybe so yes that speed does seem fast, but over 9-10 miles you get use to it. I done about 30-35 miles at that speed and still had cars over taking me, including a Ford GT and a Murciélago. The Murciélago over took me and was gone, I'm not kidding he had to be doing 180+. This is not the fastest I have ever driven either. I have driven a race prepared McLaren F1 at over 200MPH at Brands Hatch and a race prepared Porsche 911 GT1 at Silverstone in 1999. I use to have a racing licence (I use to race rally-cross http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rallycross) and in 1999 got the chance to work with the owner of the McLaren for the British GT Championship. I helped set-up, test and run the McLaren and when we raced at Silverstone I had the chance to have a go of the Porsche. It would have been rude to say no........

I only done it for a year. His last test driver was in an accident and could not run the car and his son had not got his licence as of yet. He had by the end of the season and seeing as it was a private run team, there was no money or space for me. But I knew it was only for a year so I was happy with that and the experience was unreal.