Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

ls based 4.3

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 06:42 PM
Starting Member
greenjimmy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default ls based 4.3

hey guess, this has been bothering me for the longest time. why hasn't GM made an ls version of the 4.3? if they did, i am pretty sure it would be about as strong as the 4.2 straight six(horsepower wise) but would be a torque monster engine. don't get me wrong, i love my 4.3 in my truck, it just seems alittle strange that GM wouldn't make an ls version. it would have been a better choice than the silly I5 in the colorado. what do yall think?

Old 01-07-2009, 03:48 PM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: ls based 4.3

why ?

Old 01-08-2009, 09:35 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

i heard the I5 in the colorado was supposed to be hella good on gas.....maybe thats why.....

Old 01-08-2009, 10:14 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

EPA 2WD = 16/22
EPA 4WD = 15/21

Nothing great there.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Starting Member

just wonder what you quys would think if gm came out with ls version. the I5 is a nice engine(for a base model), yeah it has more hp than our 4.3s but where it falls is in the torque range. i have been in a few colorados(extended and crew cab models) with the I5 and it just seems gutless.

and for the epa gas numbers for the colorado, i get better than that on a bad day. i average 21 mpg mix driving and i will generally get 19 in the city and 23-25 on the highway(depending on the wind speed, number of time the truck downshifts, and how much faster i am going over 70mph.)

Old 01-08-2009, 12:18 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

ORIGINAL: greenjimmy
just wonder what you quys would think if gm came out with ls version...
Since the 4.3 is a dead duck for GM, I can't imagine why they would do such a thing now. It is, after all, a V6. If GM wanted that type performance in a S10, they would have simply stuck a V8 in them.

Old 01-08-2009, 01:26 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Should have!

Old 01-08-2009, 07:15 PM
xmradioguy is an unknown quantity at this point

The colorado and canyon can be purchased with a V8 in them already

Old 01-08-2009, 08:03 PM
BF Guru

True, it's the 5.3L, but not the Active Fuel Management version like in the full-size trucks.

Old 01-08-2009, 11:25 PM
Starting Member

i just think its alittle over kill on the V8 part. the 4.8 V8 would have been a better choice. but then again, the 4.8 5.3 and 6.0 use the same block. anywayz, what i am trying to get at is that i think gm should have put a v6 in the colorado and canyon. yeah, it might as well be called an s-10, but atleast it would have power and have more of a competitive in the mid-size truck market.

so why are they killing off the 4.3?

Quick Reply: ls based 4.3