Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Lucas Mucas

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011, 09:57 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by cbr995
Yeah I bet that stuff is as hard as a rock when it gets into the negative temps.
It freezes close to waters freezing temp

Old 02-08-2011, 10:47 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wlorton
It freezes close to waters freezing temp
Now that's something I did not know!

Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 PM
rickm75 is on a distinguished road

I have used lucas oil stabalizer and never had any problems with ,only good things.I have not seen lucas freeze,but if it gets really cold it gets extremely thick,I left it in my garage over night with temps. way below freezing and it didnt freeze.

Old 02-08-2011, 11:34 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

I use Lucas Oil Stabalizer in place of 1 quart of oil with each change. I believe it makes it last longer and go harder, but it's based on nothing more than the feeling it gives me. However close to water's freezing temp is a stretch...

Depending on how close you call 'close'...
This might help show the freezing (melting) point of LOS. 0 F is cold, but is also by no means unachieveable. So now you know...

32° is a stretch for close in my mind... As in; "Its close to 88° outside, let's go swimming!" doesn't work when it's 56°...

stupid ammounts of info on oil if you are interested.

BUT you could also just read the bottle which clearly states "At temperatures below 5°F (-15°C) we recommend using Lucas Pure Synthetic Oil Stabilizer (Part # 10130)

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-09-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:56 AM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ABN31B
However close to water's freezing temp is a stretch...
Ah... I could say I saw 0 Degrees and assumed C but Im not using that system, I was just going off of memory when replacing the coolant and oil last winter, the majority of the water we had was frozen and that stabilizer was rock solid.. just linked the two together in my mind, not really thought about what the temperature was, just water = froze and stabilizer = froze so stabilizer = water.... my bad I should go back to hiding again

Old 02-09-2011, 07:04 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wlorton
Ah... I could say I saw 0 Degrees and assumed C but Im not using that system, I was just going off of memory when replacing the coolant and oil last winter, the majority of the water we had was frozen and that stabilizer was rock solid.. just linked the two together in my mind, not really thought about what the temperature was, just water = froze and stabilizer = froze so stabilizer = water.... my bad I should go back to hiding again
Hey man I look like an idiot for my comment "oh I didn't know that" haha

Old 02-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

The only time I would put anything like Lucas Oil Stabilizer in my crankcase would be on an extremely worn out, tired engine that had some ticking, smoking, or both. All it basically does is thicken up the oil. There is no need for that stuff in a perfectly running motor.

Old 02-09-2011, 10:35 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

says it eliminates dry starts which is probably true considering how it sticks to everything.

I put some of the lucas trans stuff in my tranny years ago and havent had a problem, fluid is still nice and orangy pink after being used for 5 or more years......

I just brought it in from outside, was out there all night and its about -25 out, definatly not frozen, dont know where that came from....thicker yes, but far from frozen

Last edited by blazinloud; 02-09-2011 at 02:04 PM.
Old 02-10-2011, 01:15 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

first, let me just say, this is probably the best additive on the market, and i've tried a few of them in the past. it works absolute wonders on manual transmissions. used it to shut up a really noisy 5 speed in my '92 Jimmy. damn thing made more noise than a M21 before the Lucas. their trans stop leak stuff actually stopped a damaged input shaft seal long enough to complete a 3 1/2 hour drive home.

Originally Posted by blazinloud
off topic: Just seen yesterday we finally have sea foam here!! 1st time ive seen it in stores
Originally Posted by jackdough
im pumped about the seafoam too we just got it in ontario.
really? it's been @ my parts supplier since last Spring.

Originally Posted by UberFail
as far as the lucas goes, i've used it in many applications without issues and it cleared up some lifter noise on those motors. HOWEVER i used it on a previous oil change, i started getting the lifter tick in the jimmy from it as the oil was too heavy to circulate in the winter time when i started. waste of a bottle of lucas and the oil i used in it. but thats the first and only issue i've had with it.
like Curtis said, use that Pure Synthetic Stabilizer. works with both conventional oil & full synthetic oil. not sure where he found the part # for it, i can't find it on the bottle i have sitting here. i use the regular stuff during the Summer months though.

Originally Posted by Longer02
There is no need for that stuff in a perfectly running motor.
how so? if it's designed to leave more trace behind for better lubrication & reducing dry starts, how could that not help even a BN engine. i guess the same can be said for running synthetic oil in a BN engine as well then.

Last edited by old skool luvr; 02-10-2011 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-10-2011, 08:08 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

^
Not sure why you mentioned anything about synthetic oil as that really has nothing to do with the topic at hand. Are you implying that synthetic oil lubricates better than conventional?

I have never had any issues with dry starts. When I tore down the LS1 in my camaro to do a cam and spring swap the car had been sitting for 3 months. All the parts were still freshly lubed with oil. I would let that car sit for 4-5 months every winter without starting it. Never once had a problem when I went to start it the next spring.

I was simply stating my opinion and I have done a lot of reading on the stuff over at Bob is the Oil Guy forums. I will never use the stuff.

Quick Reply: Lucas Mucas