Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

My cross Canada Road Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:32 AM
Starting Member
carterx is on a distinguished road
Default My cross Canada Road Trip

Well ...... trip has not started out all that great. We left BC and just got to Alberta, Canada then stopped for a few mins to notice fluid pouring out onto the ground.

Lifted the hood to find antifreeze pouring out. The radiator cracked

Got the truck & trailer towed to the next town (Banff Alberta) but shops are closed. So now in a hotel waiting for morning to get truck to shop and see what the damage is.

I have a feeling that the rad is not fixable and will need it replaced. I want to start trying to do my own work once I'm home, but when it happens in the middle of know where kinda sucks.

So ya, first day of the trip was great. Have pics but will post once I get home. Trying to find a shop now

Old 06-05-2009, 12:36 AM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

ouch...sorry about the radiator man hopefully its repairable or atleast it wont cost an arm and a leg to replace so you can get back on your trip.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:14 AM
Starting Member

The crack is at the very top. I have no idea if it can be patched or not. I was going to use JB weld on it as that's what I used on my race bike and work no prob. when it was cracked. Once cured it patched the hole and I'm sure with my bike being cranked open wide on the race track would get hotter than the truck rad..... but anyways, for some reason one tube was missing so could not do a patch repair on the road.

Old 06-05-2009, 08:05 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

That sucks man, sorry to hear.
I had the top of my old car's rad crack and we tried everything to seal it. No matter what it couldn't handle the pressure (even a rad repair kit with the fibreglass) so I ended up replacing it. It sucks that you're on the road though, because you can pick up rad's from Canada autoparts for pretty cheap compared to in a garage.
What tube was missing?

Old 06-05-2009, 08:18 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

That's no fun!

Old 06-05-2009, 08:45 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

The worst part is there's not really any preventative maintenance for something like that. I'd hate to have something like that happen to me.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:30 AM
Starting Member

They are trying to track down a rad now. Worst part ...... it's friday and shops are closed on the weekend. If I can get the part, may have a tech that will come in on his day off to help. But gotta get the part first.

Old 06-05-2009, 12:26 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Good luck. let us know

Old 06-06-2009, 03:12 PM
calgsblaza is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah to bad you broke down in Banff, but at least it's not the worst place to be stuck for a weekend lol

Old 06-07-2009, 01:07 AM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

Follow the only road!.....at least till the top end of your radiator cracks, that sucks. I had a Belt tensioner go on me wile I was traveling from Michigan and it took forever

Quick Reply: My cross Canada Road Trip