Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

My latest build (somewhat blazer related)

Old 04-21-2011, 10:18 AM
AuSSenseiter is on a distinguished road
Default My latest build (somewhat blazer related)

My latest mash-up is an '81 chev Citation XS. It was my DD until it blew a head gasket and I was even driving it with the blown gasket (no harm done). Ran great. While fixing it up, I decided to swap in an old edelbrock torker intake and holley 4160 6407 carb I just happen to have laying around for many years. These were listed as belonging to an '82-85 S10 p/u & blazer with the 2.8v6 (told ya it was blazer related).
Heres the issues I'm having right now and need help with; first, after putting the heads, intake & carb on, I test fired the engine and succeeded in setting the whole front of the car on fire!!! Thankfully there was no damage done. But I've got fuel pissing EVERYWHERE. I mean it came out the vent tube and was gushing out of the front exhaust manifold (err, in blazer speak, out the drivers side manifold). But heres where it gets odd, the rear bank (err, pass. side) is completely bone dry!! WTF? So the problem is obvisiously with the carb. Does anyone here have expierence with these bitches and be willing to give me some tuning advise? Yes, the carb is fresh rebuilt but there seems to be no info about the initial float settings or where the idle set screw is supposed to be or anything. For such a "world class product" these holley's suck *****.

The next issue is going to be cooling this monster. On the stock set-up (because the motor sits sideways), the t-stat is at the rear of the engine. With the "new" set-up, the stat is going back where it belongs. Problem with that is the new coolant pipe will be going across the front of the car to meet up with the rad. (or in blazer speak, the pipe will come off the stat, wrap around the engine to the drivers side and go to the rear to do a 180 and hook into the rad.). Ordinarily this would not be a problem except the alt. & a/c compressor are mounted in a totally bastardized way that will not allow the pipe to pass. So what I am needing is multipal pics of early s-series 2.8 set-ups from different angles so I can see & get inspiration on how to rig this up. If nothing ends up working, my only other option will be to have a custom rad. made and reverse the inlet & outlets and put the custom copper pipe on the bottom (which I dont want to do because I want the copper to shine and be seen).

Any help would be appericiated. TIA.