Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Need help with Liftgate release PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Starting Member
Rael is on a distinguished road
Question Need help with Liftgate release PLEASE

Hope I have put this in the correct place - sorry if not.

I have a 1996 Olds Bravada which I just purchased. I never checked the rear lift gate window. It will not open so I can not open the tailgate. I have been posting this issue on Olds forums for the past 9 days and have yet to receive one reply. I am at my wits end. I know the parts for the blazer and the Bravada are the same so hoping someone here can help. PLEASE

If I hit the unlock button on dash you hear the lock move - if I hit the key fob button you here the lock move - If I put the key in the hole on the tail gate and turn you hear the lock move. I have checked the #2 20amp fuse and it is fine.

I can pull the inside plastic tailgate cover out far enough to see the lock. There is not a slot under the carpet as there is on the Blazer so I have to reach down behind the plastic cover while pulling it out of the way. I can see the latch that holds the window but I can not push it out of the way to open the lift glass. In order to remove the full inner cover, you need the tail gate open to get to the screws.

Does anyone know how I can release the little lever that hold the window closed manually so I can test the lock/actuator mech? It will not just push backwards out of the way, I have tried.

I did purchase and download a repair manual in PDF form but it only explains how to trace electrical problem once the lift hatch is open. There is not a diag of the actual mech. to show if there is a release or not.

ANY help would be great - Thanks

Old 02-17-2013, 12:09 PM
Karcinagin is an unknown quantity at this point

From another forum
"After a while, the mechanism (actuator) that unlocks and releases the rear glass hatch in
your Blazer or Jimmy will eventually burn out. when it does, there is really no way to open
the glass and lower the tailgate. The dash push button won't work, the rear key lock will
not work, the inside tailgate handle will not work, and you can not remove the interior
tailgate panel to access the mechanism because the screws can only be reach when
the tailgate is down (awesome GM design feature). The only way to replace the burnt
out actuator is to open the tailgate which you can't because the actuator is burnt out.

I've read stories that even the dealers don't know what to do, some have even cut up the
back panel to reach the so-called manual release. Others said they pulled back the glued
on carpet to search for it also.

Well if you don't want to hack up the tailgate panel or rip out your carpet,
here's the easy way to open the glass:

You just pull back the interior tailgate panel right above the bump in the middle
where the latch is. There are no screws or bolts in that area, you can safely pull it back
about 2 inches. Then you'll have to stuck your finger in and push down the release bar.

When you get your finger back there, you should be able to feel for the part that need to
be pushed down. When that part is pushed down, the glass has been unlocked.

Now that the glass is unlocked, it and the tailgate can be opened. Now you can remove the
interior tailgate panel, it has one screw on each side and easily lifts off.

The actuator that needs to be replaced costs $58 from the dealer, so if you don't want
to replace it yet, but still want to open the back, you can leave the panel off and just push the
manual release level.

I haven't replaced my actuator yet, still trying to find it for cheaper than the dealer wants,
but hardly any part store guys know what the hell an actuator is. "
Credit to 96blazer on s10forum

Old 02-17-2013, 12:18 PM
Starting Member
Rael is on a distinguished road

THANK YOU so much for the help

That is exactly the issue I was having and the dealer I purchased
from would not even answer my emails. It is very hard to see down in there with your
head up against the rear glass sideways while holding the panel out (also old eyes really don't help matters LOL)

Thanks again - going out there to see if I can locate the release.

Hopefully this post will help someone else in the future with the same issue.

Thanks again