The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

New Cars: Ford finally gets their S44t together

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 02:26 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Druidic
Ok... I bought my Blazer for 3600, when it typically is sold anywhere from 5500 - 7200. Whats your point? If you look in the right places, you can get solid deals.
NO
YOU
CANT

That is exactly my point. I looked for over two months. The only early 00 Escapes I could find were dinged up and base models for 6-8 grand. No thnks. 4L Explorers even worse and I couldnt figure out why.

Didnt even think of a Brava, though I'd liked them before when I rode in them.
Till I went by this lot and saw her standing there next to a lesser Explorer with 20k more miles and ratty interior with few options for 1900 more.
I came on here, did my research on the problems I'd have to deal with, figured it was a great deal... for ME.. and bought her.
I aint sorry, either.
Even though within the week the service AWD lite came on and I had the dread hazard sw fail.. which I stupidly replaced the whole MFS.

The difference between you and me is that though I know fords, which DONT have fuel pump fails at 110K or FI injector probs at same mileage, I can AND WILL defend the GM design..

Not so much the intake gasket though I get why. And NOT because I own one. But because I THINK.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-20-2012 at 02:35 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:37 PM
Beginning Member
Druidic is on a distinguished road

Obviously, you can get solid deals if you look in the right place. If you seriously believe otherwise, then you obviously weren't looking very well. I spent quite some time looking up a lot of vehicles online, going to several different sites, as well as looking at a lot of dealerships, and talking with private owners. 12 year old car, 104K miles, with a body that is damn near immaculate, and runs strong, for 3600, that is one hell of a deal. Especially when dealers could easily sell this same car for double or more, what I payed for it. If that isn't a solid deal, then what is?

Old 03-20-2012, 02:47 PM
BF Veteran

Now you're defending yourself by taking generalities.

I KNOW a guy who owns a lot.. I told him what I wanted and the 6 grand price. He told me that IF he found an XLT like that.. he couldnt get it for that 6 grand.
When I showed him the Brava.. he said 'Well why didnt you say so. I can get those at auction any week'

Well this has been amusing... but I'm done. Remember it was about Ford and their styling.

U-u-u-u-u-u-GLY!

FACEPALM Ugly!

Now I know more about you and it's interesting to see that my chevy owner stereotype lives on.

I wont take it from a Ford freak without debate, either. But for some reason recently I've found Ford guys are no fun. They just say 'Whatever ' when this brand bigotry comes up.

ADDED..Adn no.. I am not arguing about MoPar. SOMEONE has to like them

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-20-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:56 PM
Beginning Member
Druidic is on a distinguished road

You obviously didn't pay attention to my earlier post, where I stated I am a Mopar fan

Old 03-20-2012, 03:19 PM
Starting Member
volfan4 is an unknown quantity at this point

This is fun thought I would add to the arguement. I was raised to believe in "live and die in a Chevy". I followed that for the majority of my time behind the wheel. That is until I lost my job of 12 years and hit some hard times. My s10 blew a head gasket during that time. I needed a car and was offered a great deal on a 1992 ford ranger with 72,000 miles on it and it was 10 years old at the time. My father hated seeing me pull up in the drive to visit him. He hated Fords. But I have to say that the Ford Ranger was by far the best vehicle I ever owned it has over 230,000 miles on the motor and transmission. My opinion has changed on Ford but I still love Chevys. I never owed a dodge., but in these tough times in America we should all own cars from the original big three. I know toyota, Nissan and other Japanese cars are made here, but the money doesn't stay here. My opinion not necessarily yours.

Old 03-20-2012, 03:57 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

I know you're a Ford guy Petty, so I guess you remember this incident? Explorers Fall Apart

They had better make Explorers cheaper in price if the tread on the tires separate hahaha!

(No offense to anyone that got injured in any way when there tires failed. Sorry to these people)

Old 03-20-2012, 04:31 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by tibby
I know you're a Ford guy Petty, so I guess you remember this incident? Explorers Fall Apart

They had better make Explorers cheaper in price if the tread on the tires separate hahaha!

(No offense to anyone that got injured in any way when there tires failed. Sorry to these people)
And yet MORE evidence of the Chebby driver stereotype! Links to what you think you know that prove the opposite!!!

Did you read it? Fault WAS Fords for letting Firestones of the era even touch their wheels. Those of us paying attention to what came out of Firestone plants, scab OR union, wouldnt consider using them.

WTF do you think would happen to soccer moms driving Blazers or Suburbans with those tires?!!!!
It is estimated that 119 of the 250 deaths resulted from a crash with a Ford Motor Company vehicle.[3]
This is the part that gets me:

Car and Driver magazine tested a first-generation Explorer with a built-in roll cage and a special device that would flatten the tire at the push of a button. While driven by professionals on a closed track, the Explorer did not flip in any of the numerous tests. However the results of this test were dubious since Car and Driver's test was for a very rapid deflation of the tire, when the accidents were caused by tread separation and not rapid deflation.
That's just idiocy!

Old 03-20-2012, 06:11 PM
Starting Member
wyzardd is on a distinguished road

Well, since this is a Ford vs Chevy thread, count me in!

As much as I agree with the folks that don't want any part of GM (Government Motors) for political reasons, the only vehicles I've owned that I actually disliked were Fords. Three trucks and one car. None of them did anything for me. Toyota has no soul, but at least they're reliable. Ford, meh. Maybe new are fantastic but between 1971 and 1994 they were less than impressive (IMHO).

My first four vehicles were GM - from 1971 GTO 455HO to a 1980 Chevette & they all had some quirk that endeared them to me. Yes, even the Chevette (fold forward seats left enough room in the back for serious, if uncomfortable, hanky-panky).

Mopar are just ugly, with a few exceptions of course (Charger) but that's the only thing really wrong with those I've had.

But I'm heavily biased. The only Ford my parents ever owned was a '54. Uncle was a mechanic and the kindest thing he ever called Ford was "morphodite" - that was in the late 70's/early 80's so it might not apply today either.

Anyway, there you go. Not a Ford fan. If GM doesn't make what I'm looking for, Toyota probably does. And my old Corolla was at least as "Made in USA" as anything out of Detroit.

Old 03-20-2012, 07:57 PM
Jamaroon has a spectacular aura aboutJamaroon has a spectacular aura about

I'm really liking the new fusion.

Old 03-20-2012, 08:04 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Jamaroon

I'm really liking the new fusion.
That's what she said

Quick Reply: New Cars: Ford finally gets their S44t together