Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

New(used) gun

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2010, 01:29 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road
Default New(used) gun

so i bought my first gun since i turned 18 2 daqys ago

it is a Marlin .22 modle 989

put about 60+ rounds thru it

and now i ran into a problem

my bolt goes most of the way back but not enough to the point where it will allow the shell to go into the chamber, im cleaning it out now to see if that helps any, nothing sounds broken i noticed it was doing that to me yesterday got cold and the bolt got sticky hoping its the cold if not im going to call the place where i bought it if i cant fix it< any sugestions on that btw

oh and i payed 75 for it and will post pics when i get a chance if you guys want em lol

edit: well i fixed my bolt problem sprayed nearly an entire can of cleaner thru it, pretty much till it ran clean, and i brang it as far back as i could and let it snap forward...........then i felt a big chunck of something hit my foot and now it works, time to go get some lube

Last edited by m3ch; 12-19-2010 at 02:35 PM.
Old 12-19-2010, 07:26 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Gun pics are always wanted!

Make sure and follow the manual as far as how much and where to oil/grease. Some guns run better without much oil and can jam up more with too much

FWIW, on my Croatian-made XDM (9MM pistol) with upwards of 3000 rounds in the last year, I've used solely non-chlorinated brake cleaner to clean and Mobil1 20W-50 to lube :P

Old 12-19-2010, 08:40 PM

well needless to say i actually got it from a pawn shop, and its actually my first time owning a .22 semi auto at that i shot em before, and my brother let me use his single shot bolt up in canada a few times

i have other guns i havent used oil on or in yet a hipoint 9mm carbine < semi and a mossberg .270 < bolt

i love them both, i have another gun but its useless right now.......a .410 shotgun by new england fire arms something broke on it idk what, single shot hammer style

less than 25 rounds thru it, idk what to do with it lol

Old 12-20-2010, 02:33 PM

well i went into the auto part store today to pick up some oil, when the guy who works there asks me if i need help so i asked him about using oil in my gun, he said it would work but to try the seafoam first (deep creep) he said the oil might attract more dirt and dust and stuff, well im trying it now, put some on the bolt let it sit for a little worked the bolt fired it a couple times out the door lol, spray some more, used some q-tips, sprayed a little bit more, worked the bolt more, and now im letting it sit, but as far as i can tell it is ALOT smoother than when i got it, but im going to take it out in the woods today

Old 12-20-2010, 05:51 PM
BF Veteran
mdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant futuremdehoogh has a brilliant future

Nice! I've seen people on gun forums go into fits of rage when someone mentions engine oil for guns. An engine is much more abusive than a gun so I can't see any reason it wouldn't work. I'm sure there are some firearm-specific products that do a better job but even plain old RemOil is pretty expensive compared to a $9 quart of oil that will last me almost forever.

Seafoam is pretty thin although I'd think it would work. The 20w-50 I use is thicker and seems to last a little longer. The best (and most fun) way to smooth the action though is to go buy a bunch of ammo and fire it a TON.

FWIW, there's an NEF subforum at shotgunworld. I bet someone there could help you determine what's wrong with your .410 if you want to fix it yourself. Or you could take it to a gunsmith

Old 12-20-2010, 10:10 PM

the shell in my .410 isnt getting touched at all but ill go check it out

and as far as i can tell the seafoam is working great, i fired it a few times in my yard (hunting time around here so people just pass it off as that)

nice little gun, i found out that it is a marlin 989 m2

made from like 1965-early 70's i do believe

Old 12-26-2010, 07:44 PM

not sure if she gets to cold but after a few rounds the bolt wants to stick and the trigger does a weird thing if it doesnt close hard enough it will not want to shoot like the trigger gets stuck i sprayed down real good in the woods havent shot it yet but i will see next time i go out

Old 12-26-2010, 08:27 PM
BF Veteran

Does the bolt hang up like that without any ammo at all? Is the magazine damaged at all? My guess is that the shape of the bullet or the magazine itself could be interfering with the bullet on its way from the magazine into the chamber which could explain the sticky bolt. Also as a safety feature, most firearms will not fire without the cartridge seated all the way. If the bolt isn't seating it properly, that could explain the trigger issues.

However, I have very limited experience with bolt action rifles and almost no experience with .22lr so I could be way off.

Old 12-26-2010, 08:29 PM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

word of advise: look for a "how too" on a full take down of your rifle.
take that bad boy appart down to the lowest level you are comfortable (but dont take the trigger group appart unless you have near pro gun skillz)
once it's ALL broken down, get some copper solvent or (i didnt say this) carb cleaner and a stiff bristled brush.
hose it down and scrub scrub scrub.

I'll bet you anything the last owner (and pawn shop) only cleaned the visible stuff and maybe the muzzle and front 1" or 2 of the chamber/bore.

one more thing to help your semi out, is to pull the magazine appart and give the spring a little stretch. leaving rounds stored in it compresses the spring over time and weakens it's ability to feed rounds as fast as the weapon can handle.

basically think of it like a new blazer, first thing you're gonna do is wash it, then check/change the fluids, then needed maintenance, then customize.

Those llittle marlins can be a blast if you get it working right (easy on the shoulder, wallet, and ears)

*EDIT* that scope looks like you have to hold your rifle like a pistol to see through it... WAY BACK on the stock

Last edited by ABN31B; 12-26-2010 at 11:25 PM.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:16 PM

yeah the pawn shop probably dont oil the guns but i got it cleaned a bit better, im more scared of loosing stuff on it lol, but it is a really nice gun, i would have to take it apart, it feels like theres dirt and stuff in the trigger and saftey spot, but other than that it fires straight and no the scope doesnt give me any problems at all, its a little BSA 7x20 i do believe, i want to get a red dot for my 9mm carbine tho those iron sites kill my eyes sometimes lol

Quick Reply: New(used) gun