Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Opinions on DSLR cameras?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:09 PM
Red 96' will become famous soon enoughRed 96' will become famous soon enough
Default Opinions on DSLR cameras?

Hey guys and gals, I know that there are a few of you out there that are pretty serious into photography. Up until this point, I have been using a point-and-shoot but I've been tempted to get into the DSLR market for a few months. I'm just looking for any tips that you guys have to offer for cameras, both makes and models. Personally, I've been leaning towards a Nikon because a few friends of mine have them and love them. Nikon just came out with a new DSLR, the D5100, which looks to be pretty promising. Before that came out however, I was looking at the Nikon D3100, D90, and the Canon T2i.
Thanks for any of your input, I really appreciate it!

Nikon D5100 and ME-1 external mic coming April 21st, we go hands-on (video) -- Engadget

Old 04-05-2011, 06:17 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I don't have any Nikon vs. Canon input, but I can tell you my Canon hasn't failed me yet, it's a 2yr old Rebel XS which I hope to upgrade to a T2i at some point.

All I can tell you is you won't regret getting into a DSLR, once you learn how to manipulate the settings to achieve different effects you'll be blown away.

Photography forums are helpful, I've gotten alot of little tricks from people there.

Old 04-05-2011, 06:23 PM

There are just so many different things to consider when looking at all these different cameras, it just gets really confusing! I am also considering the T3i, there is just too many lol!

Old 04-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have the T1i and I am very happy with it. I still haven't really used it to its true potential, but I have taken some very nice shots with it!

Old 04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

sorry I'm a sony guy... never had any experience with canons or nikons I've had my alpha 200 it works pretty good had it for 3 years now

Old 04-06-2011, 02:24 AM
TheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond reputeTheBrettster has a reputation beyond repute

I rock an entry level rebel xs and love it.

Takes some great photos.

Old 04-06-2011, 01:51 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Nikon D40 user here.... Best camera ever owned, hands down....

Go to Bestbuy or a local store and try the canon and the nikon out and see which one "feels" better

From there you can always get better lenses......

But be warned in a year there will be something better

Old 04-06-2011, 02:06 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

When it comes to these cameras it's all in the lenses really. The best 100 bucks I've ever spent was on my 50mm f/1.8 canon.

Last edited by oktain; 04-06-2011 at 02:10 PM.
Old 04-07-2011, 01:42 PM

Man, seems as though everyone know personally shoots Nikon, and everyone on the Blazerforum shoots Canon lol. Choices, choices, I guess I've got more research to do. Too bad I'm hundreds of miles away from an electronics store that sell both!

Old 04-07-2011, 09:17 PM
Starting Member
mattjphoto is on a distinguished road

Nikon vs Canon is like Ford vs Chevy....You can't go wrong (well maybe people on this forum will have an opinion lol). I prefer using Canon but that is bc all my photography jobs us Canon equipment and I get paid more to use Canon. As far as Canon and Nikon basic models (D5000,D3000,D3100) models there are a few differences. With Canon there are ISO, WB, burst mode and a few others buttons on the outside of the camera. Which you might not use right away but as you learn more about photography they are a must. Faster you can change the settings the better. Nikon you have to use the mode button to switch between modes. Nikon you tend to get a more cool image as with Canon you get a warmer tone image.
I can keep going so if you have certain models in mind you want to compare let me know. I sell Canon and Nikon so I'm very familiar with them. I also graduated w/ my degree in photography so I am very knowledgeable in the subject.

www.dpreview.com is a great site to do research on.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Opinions on DSLR cameras?