Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Opinions for Yard Taming!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 12:19 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road
Default Opinions for Yard Taming!

So with Winter securely in my rear view 9it has been for a month now actually) i pulled out the yard toys and got them Spring ready:
Lawn Mower - Check (first pull baby!)
Weed Eater - Check
Leaf Blower - Check
Hedge Trimmer - EPIC FAIL!

I had a Poulan (Weedeater) GHT225 that had been serving me well... When I pulled her out of the back shed, i found it had falled at some point and the stop swtich was busted off. I took it appart and attemped to build a (jumper) simulating a closed circuit as if the kill switch were constanly "off" alloing the trimmer to run nonstop once started (until connector is plucked). This failed... Looking at the trimmer, I can honestly say it put in some good work in it's life, but it is time to move on...

Unless someone has a full rear handle assembly they want to give away, I was wondering:

What gas (2 cycle) trimmers are you using? What do you reccomend? What should i avoid?

Anything helps

#playnext=1&playnext_from=TL&videos=n0H2SbpSKLY&v=8tGB-Wpk0Pc
Also ^^^ loolz! nice "tree" guys...

Old 02-23-2010, 02:57 AM
Starting Member
RebelJimmy96 is on a distinguished road

stick with craftsmen thats all i use and if it breaks u get a new one free!

Old 02-23-2010, 07:43 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Geez...I don't had a yard big enough to warrant all of these tools! lol. I have an acient (I think it's one of the first lawn mowers ever made) hand-me-down electric mower for my tiny yard. That's about all I need.
Anywho..I've heard good things about Stihl products. But then again you'll pay with your first born child for those..

Old 02-23-2010, 07:59 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have my 24" Craftsman push mower, 42" Simplicity 16LTH rider, an 18" chain saw, electric hedge trimmer, pruning sheers, large manual hedge trimmer, and a very old John Deere weed eater for my grounds keeping tasks. The push mower was the only thing I have bought new and most everything I picked up at very low cost or got given to me.

Other than carrying around a cord, the electric hedge trimmer I have works great. I think I paid $20 for it at a garage sale. Not as much vibration, way lighter, and no where near the noise that a gasser has. As far as the cord goes, I just wrap the cord through my belt loop and then around my arm to keep it up and out of harms way.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:19 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ABN31B
...What gas (2 cycle) trimmers are you using? What do you reccomend? What should i avoid?...
I gave up on 2 cycle and went with a Troy-Bilt 4 cycle weedeater. It has quite a bit more power than any 2 stroke I ever owned and takes a nice thick string. Plus, you can buy various attachments for it to make it do multiple tasks. Only drawback is that it weighs about 10 pounds, so you really need a shoulder strap if your yard is big.

Old 02-23-2010, 09:48 AM
BF Veteran

hmmm...

Rebel: Good call! I forgot about the Craftsman warranty...

Sisk: Like you said, Stihl <-- good reviews, big sticker price

swartlkk: What electric trimmer are you running? My leaf blower is electric, and while blowing a cord wont kill you, i think i can manage to dodge the cord for a much as I trim hedges (maybe 3 times a year)...

rriddle3: I spent a good deal of my younger years in the Army doing "area maintenance". One thing I learned was how to break the crap out of some gas weed eaters. Now that i own my own, I baby it like it's from the 1st century

Old 02-23-2010, 09:53 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Mine is a Craftsman 79951 - 18" Electric Hedge Trimmer. I am not sure if it is even available anymore...

*EDIT* - It looks like it has been replaced by the Craftsman 79442 - 22" Electric Hedge Trimmer.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:45 AM
bigkhans is on a distinguished road

Get an Echo! That's most of the pro's used. Easy to fix and maintain solid two cycle engines def worth the $.

Old 02-23-2010, 02:51 PM
BF Veteran

Husqvarna Gas

The same one I had

Looks like if I want to pay less than $150 those are the good options.

Also looks like power hedger's are fairly popular... Battery powered and corded. the one you linked looks like the top dog too, swartlkk,Carftsman Electric since all anyone has to say is 5 star rave reviews...

Anyway, thanks for the input all. I am going to do a bit of shopping and see what I end up with.

Last edited by ABN31B; 02-23-2010 at 02:55 PM.
Old 02-23-2010, 05:36 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about

Apartment = no landscaping... = win

Quick Reply: Opinions for Yard Taming!