Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

"Own the Podium"

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 08:45 PM
BF Veteran
wlorton has a spectacular aura aboutwlorton has a spectacular aura about
Default "Own the Podium"

SO I was watching sportscenter, and they made the comment that Canada say this before the games....

It seems that the games have gotten to be more about a country dominating than athletes performing....

Canada shouldn't have said that (lolz but its funny) and I am not making a Canada suck thread, just a thread saying... "wow" I would not have guessed...

But USA sucks at curling = fact

Old 02-23-2010, 08:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wlorton
...It seems that the games have gotten to be more about a country dominating than athletes performing....
Humph. It's been that way for all my adult life. What else is new other than the Olympics are no longer what they were designed to be - a competition between amateur athletes. I remember when the West used to throw a fit over the Eastern Block countries slipping in 'ringers'.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:50 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

*cough*Dream Team*cough*

Old 02-24-2010, 10:31 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Hey now...let's not go bashing Canada.
Although I don't necessarily agree with the choice to do the whole "Own The Podium" thing you have to understand it was more a showing of National Pride and how proud we were to host the Olympics. I never thought we would be on top as far as medal count goes, so I'm not disappointed not suprised they didn't get to "Own the Podium". I think it was a big far out for them to pick something so strong to say we are going to "Own" it, but even still it was a great way to show our pride.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:58 AM
BF Veteran

TECHNICALLY: it IS your podium: you host, you build, you own it when it's all over I suspect...

As for medal count, America went about it all wrong. We wanted more medals, so we started training in random events so we could pad our medal count... seems kind of blantant, and weak to me.

The Olympics include fun human stories, and insiration, but as far as the events go... *yawn* it seems to have lost it's luster. Like MLB, the NBA, and Boxing...

Old 02-24-2010, 07:21 PM
MrTwister is on a distinguished road

We will never own the podium, and most of us couldn't care less. Mens hockey is the only medal that matters anyway=)

Old 02-24-2010, 07:27 PM
BF Veteran

Right now its 4-1 in the second.. Canada over Russia.... Seems like the loss to US pissed em off.... Rematch in the Gold Match?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:21 PM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Its 7-3 right now....for Canada

Anbd Curtis...this whole basis behind the "own the podium" campaign was to earn the most medals. I don't think it was ever meant to refer to it being on our land. We poured millions (I believe it was 110m$?) into sports over the past few years to try and get as many medal potential athletes in the olympics as possible.

Old 02-24-2010, 08:59 PM
BF Veteran

Originally Posted by Sisk
Its 7-3 right now....for Canada

Anbd Curtis...this whole basis behind the "own the podium" campaign was to earn the most medals. I don't think it was ever meant to refer to it being on our land. We poured millions (I believe it was 110m$?) into sports over the past few years to try and get as many medal potential athletes in the olympics as possible.
They won... and Boyle... what a cheap shot... but the guy did deserve it

Old 02-24-2010, 11:30 PM
BF Veteran

yeah i know "own the podium" meant get 'canucks on the stands and medal it up', but since you are not doing that, maybe the physical ownership of the podium is of some consulation...

Quick Reply: "Own the Podium"