Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Particles found to break speed of light

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2011, 03:31 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about
Default Particles found to break speed of light

So I'm a bit of a science enthusiast and a friend of mine posted this on my facebook and I thought I'd share and see what you all thought.

Particles found to break speed of light | Reuters

Old 09-23-2011, 05:02 AM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

just when we thought we knew it all, nature schools us hard.
i read that too, very interesting stuff.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:26 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

Makes you wonder what we really know. Who knows how much we "know" that isn't true.

Old 09-23-2011, 05:38 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There still have to be follow up experiments that verify their results. Given the scale of measurements that are taken, there could be measurement error... Its not clear how they compared the speed of light to that of the neutrinos. Unless the experiment was a side by side comparison with the light traveling in a vacuum tube, it may not be apples to apples with Einstein's Theory of Relativity. Making a vacuum chamber 500 miles long might be a bit of a challenge though.

A discovery like this will turn the science world upside down as it can potentially disprove some of the fundamental assumptions that have been made at the core of what we thought to be how it all works.

Old 09-23-2011, 09:01 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

i think the more we find the less we know.
yup if they verify this, who knows??

Old 09-27-2011, 10:41 PM
BF Veteran
Rottidog has a spectacular aura aboutRottidog has a spectacular aura about

"the more we find, the less we know" <---- not much of anything is truer than that.
never put a man on the moon.
never break the speed of sound
the only transmissions will be analog & short bleeps (morse code)
a microwave oven - heating food without heat
plastic - look around, how would our life be without plastics?

There's a TV show that I love - Inventions That Changed the World. So many things we take for granted that were thought of & then put to reality but Joe Regular (or Jane Regular).

They measured that in what was it - 60 nanoseconds faster than the speed of light?!

Tiny for sure BUT lets see where they go from there & prove it without a doubt, make it fact.

Star Trek is becoming more real life every day.