Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Pics of the Engines I work on and with...

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2011, 04:38 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by chris015
Free front end drop

hahahahha i agree on that one

Old 09-30-2011, 12:55 PM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

Think I could fit that turbo on my civic?

I don't really have a civic but I couldn't help myself.

Old 09-30-2011, 01:16 PM
coolasice will become famous soon enough

Old 09-30-2011, 08:38 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

nice. my dad works at a pumping/sewage type plant and ive scrapped parts off motors like that. even the bolts and nuts are huge.

Old 09-30-2011, 09:34 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Mczuk
Think I could fit that turbo on my civic?

I don't really have a civic but I couldn't help myself.

Cheaper to buy just the nos stickers. you know them things give you 40hp each in those ricers!

Old 09-30-2011, 10:39 PM
mrkevinmjr is on a distinguished road

ok ,,, so does chevy make something similar for my blazer ... u rock dude

Old 10-01-2011, 10:26 PM
altoncustomtech will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys... I enjoy it a lot, there's not a lot of people out there who work on or around these things and it's a lot of fun to explain it to folks, and even more fun to show them... There's nothing like showing someone a 17" diameter piston ring for the first time, lol...

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
thats so cool i worked on diesel engines but not that huge
thanks, you know, if you want to see engines that are even bigger there's a company out there called Wartsila who makes engines much larger than the ones we have... check it out...

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
lol that turbo would squish your truck
dude, you have no idea, the turbocharger in the pictures above that we changed out weighs approximately 9,500lbs...

Old 06-04-2014, 06:03 PM

It's been a long time since I posted anything in this thread, I kinda forgot about it. The good news is I have a lot to share.

These pictures here are of an old Allison Turbine engine and compressor at one of the other locations. The engine is rated for 4,000HP and it just does have an automatic control system on it.

We found a broken head stud on on of our engines so we took that unit down and got prepared to pull the head off to get to the broken stud and work on getting the broken part of the stud out. We were fortunate enough that it wasn't as bad an ordeal to get it out as they can be and have been in the past. Usually we have to drill a hole out in the center and stick big heavy duty easy outs in and try to get them out. This time we got lucky enough to use an air chisel to drive it out. Then of all things to happen one of the guys found another one broke on another unit and using the same principal to remove this one we were able to get that one out and changed without having to shut the unit down.

Anyway, here's some pics of the engine throughout this process. These are pics of the engines at the location I work at everyday. They are Turbo charged, eight cylinder, two cycle industrial recip engines rated at 2,700HP.

Here's a picture of the piston crown in the liner with the head off the cylinder.

It's hard to make out but this is a shot of the broken piece of the stud getting spun out by the air chisel.

Here's the broken piece of the stud from out of the block. That's a 1-3/4" stud and we torque those heads down to 900 ft.lbs.

Here's some down cylinder shots I took while we were inspecting the liner to make sure it was in good shape. These engines have a 17" cylinder bore and 19" of stroke.

Here's some shots from the bottom end through the inspection door at the crank and connecting rod. Also a couple of the bottom of the piston.

This is the tool we use to torque the heads called a RAD Tool. This tool runs on air alone and has a maximum torque of 2500ft.lbs.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:16 PM

Here's some more pictures of the engine parts. We had coolant leak into the oil in the engine. Upon making some inspections we found where some coolant looked as though it had leaked around one of the engine liners and caused our issue. This week we tore into the engine to repair the issue. What we found was a crack in the liner where one of the O-Rings that seals it inside the block goes around it. I got some pictures today of the piston and liner outside of the engine and I'll post a few up of the signs we found that showed us we had an issue with this particular liner (#5 cylinder) and then I'll get some pictures up of some other interesting stuff like the oil filter system for these engines and the 96 filters it holds inside the filter housing.

Here's the evidence we found of the coolant leak inside the engine a couple of weeks ago. You can see the greenish-yellow staining around the bottom of the liner and rust on the bottom of the piston skirt.

Here's the old liner out of the engine block. In the last couple of pictures you can make out the crack that was the source of our coolant leak issue.

Here's a few of the piston and connecting rod from out of the engine and the new liner behind it.

Here's some shots of the engine block where the liner came out of. You'll notice just how nasty it got inside there around the liner thanks to that coolant leak. Tomorrow one lucky member of our team will be climbing down inside, standing on the crank and cleaning all that mess up. I'll try to get some pictures of that as well.

So there's some neat stuff not seen by the average person. Let me know of there's any other aspect of the engines, plant, etc. you'd like to see.

Old 06-04-2014, 06:20 PM

Okay, as promised here's some more pictures. Got one of the where the liner belongs in the block after it was all cleaned up. A few of a co-worker, we'll call him Bill because that's his name, greasing the hole so it's ready for the liner to slide in nice and smooth. Then I got some of the oil filter housing, without and with new filters inside. The last two pictures are of one half of the connecting rod bearing that we also replaced while doing this.

Here's the block and Bill.

Here's some of the filter housing before and after filters were installed.

And here's the lower (cap side) half of the connecting rod bearing.

Quick Reply: Pics of the Engines I work on and with...