Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Poison Ivy

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2011, 07:23 PM
johntaylor625 is on a distinguished road
Default Poison Ivy

I was setting up a tree stand and came in contact with some poison ivy. Its between my fingers, on my fore arm and a little on my neck and face. Anyone know anything that will help dry it up. Im using calamine lotion but its not helping very much. Any help would be appreciated thanks

Old 07-13-2011, 07:30 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Stay the heck away from me!! I have severe reactions to that stuff.

I use paint thinner if I get it on my hands if it is just there, but if it gets anywhere else, it's a trip to the doctor for some more prednisone.

Old 07-13-2011, 07:41 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

yea id use paint thinner for my hands too but not any where else

Old 07-13-2011, 08:28 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Paint thinner for ivy? Hmm never heard of it. Does it kill the urushiol?

Last edited by chris015; 07-13-2011 at 08:31 PM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:37 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by xgiovannix12
yea id use paint thinner for my hands too but not any where else
Originally Posted by chris015
Paint thinner for ivy? Hmm never heard of it. Does it kill the urushiol?
i actually used to use starting fluid if i only had a little spot of it. if you ever sprayed that stuff on your finger it almost instantly turns it white so it helps dry it out pretty quick... just dont know how safe it is

a few years back i had poison ivy so bad i actually had to go to the ER and get steroids for it. it even came back 2 more times . nothing you can do for that bad,

Old 07-13-2011, 08:40 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I've been to the ER once for poison ivy. We were burning off a hedgerow that evidently contained poison ivy amongst everything else we were getting rid of. I was working in the smoke. I had it EVERYWHERE! I could barely move for 3 days.

Old 07-13-2011, 08:50 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by swartlkk
I've been to the ER once for poison ivy. We were burning off a hedgerow that evidently contained poison ivy amongst everything else we were getting rid of. I was working in the smoke. I had it EVERYWHERE! I could barely move for 3 days.
fun times. smoke will actually give you poison ivy? what about inhaling it?

Old 07-13-2011, 09:08 PM
Administrator

It's the oils off the plant that actually cause the oil from the plants. While burning, much of the oil doesn't burn, but gets volatilized in the smoke. And yes, it was in my lungs.

Old 07-14-2011, 12:18 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

dude, take a sock, and put oatmeal in it and take a bath/shower with it

Old 07-14-2011, 09:27 AM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by m3ch
dude, take a sock, and put oatmeal in it and take a bath/shower with it

that works? lol