Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

How do I manage to do this every single time!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 11:08 PM
streblo will become famous soon enoughstreblo will become famous soon enough
Default How do I manage to do this every single time!

I dont know how i manage to do this every single time.
But every single time i go to buy oil for the blazer i stand there and stare at the oil not being able to make up my mind. i think it took me a solid 15 minutes to decide today.

You would think after so many years of doing this i would just walk up grab one and go, but nooooo, every single time its a delimma.

FYI i feel a bit guilty buying the high mileage oil today, but it was on sale 40% off making it 16 bucks.........it was between that and castrol edge full synthetic on sale for 40 bucks regular 50.........I figured that oil change is still 1000km away (went to the store because oil was on sale). and before i head out west with the trailer im going to do an oil change. so on the next oil change im only going to put maybe 2000km...so i figured thats not so bad to run the high mileage oil for only 2000km then replace it with the full synethic, only running the oil for 2000km seems a bit of a waste for a 50 dollar jug.......Still feel that bit of guilt though.

Old 02-03-2011, 11:22 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

I let the dealer decide for me... And there's only one brand I run in my Arctic Cat Snowmobiles, that's Arctic Cat Full Synthetic 2-Stroke oil, designed for use with Exhaust Valves (change the shape of the exhaust port at varying RPM's for better power distribution through the power band).

Same with my ATV's, ARctic Cat Synthetic for me.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:47 AM
Starting Member
Longer02 is an unknown quantity at this point

I usually do the same thing with my everday driver vehicles. It was easy when I had my LS1 Camaro. It always got German Castrol from Autozone and a K&N oil filter for the ease of removal.

I am rocking some Valvoline Maxlife and WIX filter in my Blazer now. I am liking the combo since it was cheap and the oil is good as well. Might start making it easier on myself and keep using the same oil so my oil buying experience doesn't turn into a 15 minure ordeal...ha.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:54 AM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

I always use high milage oil. Always the valvoline maxlife. Always used valvoline for whatever reason and its always done great.

Old 02-04-2011, 09:45 AM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Mobile One Full Synthetic 5W-30 in all my cars. (No matter the mileage)

Old 02-04-2011, 10:24 AM

i usually will go with a full synthetic or semi, but when im only going to be putting 2000km on an oil i might opt for the high mileage stuff..........but even when im looking for the synthetic they always have something on sale and im sitting there stuck between a few...then i read a few oil preferences threads here and think hmm ill try that....AND THEN i go there and one i was going to get is sold out of the 5w 30 so im stuck deciding between a few others. BAH

Old 02-04-2011, 10:43 AM

Now if/when I rebuild/replace my old tired engine then sure Ill happily use full synthetic. But I bought my truck last July with 182k and now its got 192k and I highly doubt full synthetic has ever been used in it so I don't want to switch it this late in the game

Old 02-04-2011, 10:53 AM

Most of the time i would run a semi synthetic. But sometimes i like to give the blazer a treat
But if im doing a 2400km highway trip towing the trailer ill throw in the full synthetic, or if ive been hard on her or going to be ill throw in a better oil.

Think this is why i end up sitting there staring at the oil for 15 minutes every time i go, at least i know the filter number off by heart (3980) usually get the (3980hm) and i just grab that and go.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:34 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

Im a weirdo, I use Amsoil all year long 5W30 and change the filter at 3 months and top up the oil. Discard the oil once a year no matter what the milage. I do this for every car Ive owned. After the year and possibly 30,000+ its still golden and passes an oil exam with flying colors.

7 litres Amsoil + 4 GM filters = about 100 bucks a year.

20 litres reg syn oil + 4 oild filters is about 240 bucks a year...

I save money and use a superior product.

To put it onto perspective, our fleet at work sometimes runs 80,000 KM on the oil in those diesel engines, they get oil analysis done instead of change the oil. We save tons that way, and helps us be a "Green" motor carrier. Even on a hard working tractor, 80,000KM later the oil sure is black, but is just as good as it was when fresh... AND thats on conventional oil, not synthetic

5000KM oil change intervals is a joke in gas engines. Its set up by the people that make oil, if they can get you to change it at 5K instead of 20 or 30, they make 4 to 6 times more money from you.

Run your engine oil for 15,000 and have it analyzed, you will see that there is still nothing wrong with it.

Old 02-04-2011, 07:51 PM

Yeah, When I was active duty and in a heavy mech unit (had bradleys for the infantry guys) they would do the oil analysis every few months on those brads. Granted to change the oil in them you have to pull the whole dang engine and tranny out but that's seriously about a 2 hour job if you have good mechanics on your line.

The valvoline maxlife is a syntech blend oil. I run 10 40 but next time I'm going to step down to a lighter weight I think.

Quick Reply: How do I manage to do this every single time!