Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Prices for different types of auto-repair

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2019, 01:27 AM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough
Default Prices for different types of auto-repair

Old 08-14-2019, 06:58 AM
Cimmerian is on a distinguished road

Add an extra zero to everything and yeah that's modern auto repair pricing. A lot of shops won't let you use your own parts either.

Old 08-14-2019, 08:59 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cimmerian
Add an extra zero to everything and yeah that's modern auto repair pricing. A lot of shops won't let you use your own parts either.
Because when customers bought cheap, crappy parts to be installed and then raised hell with the shop when the parts failed.

Old 08-14-2019, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Because when customers bought cheap, crappy parts to be installed and then raised hell with the shop when the parts failed.
Yeah, I love it when Aamco uses the exact parts I wanted to buy new and charges me 20% more than it would have cost if I got it myself.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:10 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I understand your feeling, but Business 101 teaches you that the object of business is to make a profit, not break even. Don't make a profit and you don't stay in business. Sucks sometimes, but there it is.

Old 08-15-2019, 10:22 AM

Nah I understand it. I used to turn wrenches too but the unscrupulousness of almost every service writer I've worked with was off-putting to the extreme. It's just a pet peeve.

Old 08-18-2019, 06:31 PM
odat is on a distinguished road

From my shop ....

Old 08-19-2019, 02:12 AM
GreenBlazer2002 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by odat

From my shop ....
My wife has a similar policy regarding sex 😯

Old 11-10-2019, 06:03 AM
Starting Member
bravo99 is on a distinguished road
Default 20% I wish

I get the markup idea and everybody here does it somewhat. but I just went into a muffler man to get an estimate on the encoder motor switch out and they told me 278 for the part. I played dumb a couple hours later and called the same vendor for the same part and was told 144. like hundred percent markup really??! here's the kicker ask them what their list price is and it will be what the shop quoted you LOL. oh and while we're at it why in all that is Holy is the core charge on the tccm $2 more than the part... $ 202 dollar core charge? no wonder I can't find one new only remanned LOL.

Last edited by bravo99; 11-10-2019 at 06:06 AM.
Old 11-10-2019, 01:13 PM
blazen_red_4x4 is on a distinguished road

Yesterday when I got an alignment at Tire Kingdom, I overhear a customer at the counter wanting to get his front brake pads changed. He told the guy that he brought his own new pads, but the the clerk said that he can't install those due to insurance or some crap, they have to sell and install THEIR pads that Tire Kingdom provides... At probably twice the price than the customer already paid for the ones they bought I'm sure...

I remember when I worked at Jiffy Lube YEARS ago, we would certainly do oil changes for customers that brought in their own oil and filter, but the price of the service didn't change. Basic oil change was let's say $30 if we used our Pennzoil oil and filter, and it was the same base price even if we used the customer's supplied oil and filter.

Any time I've ever done any work for anyone, I've encourage them to buy their own parts lol. At least then if there's an issue with the part and it can be swapped under it's warranty, it's in THEIR name, not mine. I of course give them suggestions on what parts and brands to buy and that sort of thing, but the end purchase is up to them. And for labor, I just charge based on how difficult the job is, not really a flat rate pricing. But, I don't work on peoples cars like I use to... Family and friends sure, but not like I use to when I worked at Advance Auto Parts and would sometimes offer a personal install of something on my off time after I sold a customer a set of shocks or an alternator or something lol.

Last edited by blazen_red_4x4; 11-10-2019 at 01:15 PM.

Quick Reply: Prices for different types of auto-repair