Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Problem with a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about
Default Problem with a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee

I need some quick help! I hope..

One of my friends drives a 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee. She says the problems are getting more and more frequent in the past month. Whenever she takes a sharp turn the engine stalls and the steering locks up. I gotta talk to her again and see if the steering lock up is just the power steering going away with the stall...or if it's actually a lock. The lockup tends to relate to the sharpness of the turn. She also said it will sometimes stall on hard braking.

She says that when it stalls, she can restart the engine with no problem. She said that 'when this happens, the check gauge light comes on and oil pressure guage is pegged at 0. When I talk to her about the steering, I'll see if it says 0 while stalled, or after start up.

Any ideas? The steering I'm thinking is a failing power steering pump...But could her serpentine belt be old and slipping on the pulleys in the turns/braking?

Thanks for the help as usual

Old 09-26-2008, 05:48 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Problem with a friend's Jeep Grand Cherokee

I would not think that it would be a failing power steering pump causing all of this. I am wondering if it is stuck in 4wd...

Is it a manual?

Old 09-26-2008, 07:55 PM
BF Veteran
WolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura aboutWolfPack has a spectacular aura about

I'm fairly positive its an automatic...but I think the Grand Cherokees still have the manual shifted transfer case.

Old 09-28-2008, 10:56 AM
BF Veteran

Well its an automatic, manually shifted t-case, but it's got 200k miles. She has no idea when a tune up was done last, and said the steering got hard after the truck died.

But she said her parents want her to just take it to a shop. I would hate to see the bill that a shop returns on a 200k mile Jeep [&o]

I'll post back up in case anyones curious about what the problems were.

Old 10-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Rusted Dream is an unknown quantity at this point

well the steering is going to get hard if the truck died, no power steering, so that would kinda rule out the powersteering pump,
and i dont see how the belt slipping would have anything to do with it either, that wouldnt cause the truck to stall,if it was My truck, i would place my bet on fuel filter, going around a curve or stopping causes fuel to move right? well if the fuel is being held up by a bad fuel pump or clogged filter, then its not getting the gas to stay running, stalls, the powr steering would become hard because the pump isnt active, but im no true mech either, but thats just my guess is somewhere in the fuel system

but the steering issue, if its actully LOCKING, my first guess would be a bad steering sector?

im not to good with jeeps =\

Old 10-03-2008, 04:30 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Easy solution to the whole problem have her get a BLAZER...

Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 AM

lol yea, also have her check her tie-rod ends, make sure they are still in working order

Old 10-07-2008, 06:22 AM
BF Veteran
EuroGoldLS is on a distinguished road

I don't see why tie-rod endswould cause the engine to shutter. I'm with Kyle on this, it must have something to do with the 4wd.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM

well, it may not cause it to shutter but still might have something to do with the steering, it might just not be one thing ya know, something may have went out causeing somthing else to go out as well, and i didnt say it was the tie rod's i just said to have em checked in case, to eliminate the simple stuff

Old 10-13-2008, 11:17 PM
BF Veteran

Just an update for anyone interested..

She took it to Meineke (why do people think quick service places are mechanics?), which charged her $600 to replace the fuel injectors and spark plugs and wires. They did tell her that her serp. belt was good though.. $600 later the problem is not fixed. So her parents want her to check with a different Meineke...

I'll keep ya posted [&o]

Quick Reply: Problem with a friends Jeep Grand Cherokee