Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Question for mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2013, 09:40 PM
Bobcat13 is on a distinguished road
Default Question for mechanics

So I'm 18 years old and studying to be an automotive technician. To someone who's experienced, what would you say to someone like me who's up and coming in the field?

Old 12-08-2013, 10:39 PM
BF Veteran
richphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura aboutrichphotos has a spectacular aura about

new cars suck, and are a pain to work on.

Old 12-08-2013, 10:47 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Dont be the ignorant kid that thinks he knows what hes doing. it'll make you look like more of a *** then asking for help. Im 24. the old guys whos experienced hates the new kids who thinks they are better then everyone else. They know you will make mistakes

Old 12-09-2013, 03:19 AM
Starting Member
lugnut38030 is on a distinguished road

Been a Mechanic for 30 years, one thing to always remember, you don't know it all and you're always learning.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:46 PM
WitchingHour is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm a HD truck and heavy equipment mechanic, and wouldn't have it any other way. Go diesel.

Old 12-09-2013, 02:58 PM
LeWhite will become famous soon enough

Study computers first. Bust your brain first then bust your knuckles

Old 12-09-2013, 08:59 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I'm a tech since 2001, decide whether you want to learn all around, or a specific make... IE, general repair shop, or dealership. I had better experience working for a general repair shop than the dealership... The journeyman are paid hourly instead of flat rate and are waaaaay more apt to teach you what they know.

Things to remember, never get lazy, always double check hoists. Lift the vehicle 6 inches and shake it... EVERYTIME. I've seen many cars dropped by lazy techs and never even came close myself.

Don't let those journeyman convince you to sell your soul and go into debt for Snap-On and MAC tool... Craftsman and Mastercraft make EVERYTHING you will need, in just as good of quality, for a fraction of the price. Leaves the job done properly with more money in your pocket for things that actually matter.

Never be afraid to ask for help from your journeyman.

Double check your work, or have your journeyman check it over before you sign off on it.

Be eager to learn. Ask questions.

Trade school sucks and is meticulous, but pay attention and do well anyways.

Old 12-10-2013, 05:33 AM
Starting Member
ol' grouch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Bobcat13
So I'm 18 years old and studying to be an automotive technician. To someone who's experienced, what would you say to someone like me who's up and coming in the field?

Never be afraid to watch how another mechanic does something. They may show you a faster, easier way to do something. I started learning to work on equipment (not just cars) when I was 5. I didn't really FIX anything until I was 10. Keep in mind, that all internal combustion engines are similar. Not the same, but similar. You'll find things that you have a talent for. Personally, I can put brakes on a car that will throw you through the windshield if that's what you want. Automatic transmissions, well, I can put one in and change the fluid but leave the rebuilding to someone who knows what they're doing. Lastly, you'll need to develop an eye for how something functions. How the belts are routed, electrical connections and so on.

Old 12-12-2013, 12:27 AM
Starting Member
lugnut38030 is on a distinguished road

There was some very good advice from some very good Mechanics, Always remember, God gave us two eyes and two ears but only one mouth, I believe there's a good reason for that.

Old 12-12-2013, 08:25 AM
blazer down under is on a distinguished road

have bin qualified at this game 16 years respect your seniors and always listen even when your sure you know better.i am well known in the performance seen and still my seniors take me to school regularly

Quick Reply: Question for mechanics