Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

ranting....

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2012, 03:39 PM
Starting Member
tripovermyego is on a distinguished road
Default ranting....

Ok so Im trying to start up my own detailing business here in town and I really could use the money. Had someone set up an appt for today and i went go get their vehicle and they didnt answer the door. I even reminded him yesterday. He was all good to go yesterday. His vehicles were there and his front door was open so I know he was home. My cell phone is off. I could use the money to get a few things for the house. UGH. Why do people do this?? And this person is running for sheriff for our county. So I think he just lost my vote cause if hes doing this now, what makes me think he wont do it as sheriff?

Old 04-21-2012, 03:43 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Hang in there.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:46 PM
Starting Member

Thanks petty. It just sucks cause Im trying to start the business but with people like him doing this crap, it really hurts the business. Ive got one to do wed so hopefully she doesnt bail on me cause I have to drive about 15 miles one way to get it.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:16 PM
cochran07 is an unknown quantity at this point

Mobile detailing is a tough business to crack into. But if your good at it and stick with it youll slowly start building a relationship and have repeat customers. Id do the same thing but I live in a college town so none of the kids really care about their cars cause mommy and daddy bought them. Not many was like me and bought all 12 cars theyve owned on their own since they were 16. Just stick with it and you might be suprised at what you can do.

Old 04-23-2012, 12:46 PM
Starting Member
91chevywt is an unknown quantity at this point

Starting a business is rough. Making everyone happy is impossible, and tough skin is absolutely necessary. The public in general is cruel, and will walk all over you if you let them. Hang in there, and if you work hard things will work out.

Advertise services on craigslist, join local forums and make threads showing off your work. Building a customer base is difficult, but if you can make them feel they're getting good value for their dollar, they'll never call anyone else.

Old 04-24-2012, 08:37 PM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

I used to have a tinting business years ago doing jobs for audio shops in town. The money was good, and getting a good rep is easy when you do good work. The problem i ran into was being ripped off by the shops that i sub cobtracted for (car audio pro in ft. sask, ab...) I got the money owed finally when a couple of the goons i did security at the bar came with me to strongarm the owner... Hang in there, and dont waste your time on the scabs. One piece of advice, get paid up front for the firat while. Once you have your own shop, then you can just not let them remove their vehicle till the bill is paid. Also, dont let ANYONE second guess you or undermine and lowball you. Your price is your price, and of they dont like it, let them walk with a smile on your face - they will be back to try you out. Also, dont let people walk allover you, cause most will try. Dont be afraid to tell the scabs to take a hike. And dont ever be intimidated by any customers.

Last edited by ohsofly; 04-24-2012 at 08:41 PM.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:01 PM
Starting Member

Thanks guys!! Yea, it is hard. But Im still trying. Just kinda hard in this economy. Yea, Ive told a couple of people to take a hike because they said that I was too high. $75 for the full complete job is not bad IMO. Ive seen people charge double that!!

Old 04-25-2012, 01:51 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

75.00 to detail!!!
You can do mine....let me know when you wanna come get her.

Yeah, starting and running a business is tough. My dad and i have been landscaping for over 15 years every summer. Last couple of summers we have lost customers to these hacks who cpme in cheap and do lousy work....its great when a couple of customers have asked us to come in and fix the cheap job they got done.

Old 04-25-2012, 01:52 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

75.00 to detail!!!
You can do mine....let me know when you wanna come get her.

Yeah, starting and running a business is tough. My dad and i have been landscaping for over 15 years every summer. Last couple of summers we have lost customers to these hacks who come in cheap and do lousy work....its great when a couple of customers have asked us to come in and fix the cheap job they got done.

Stick to your guns....good luck man

Old 04-25-2012, 02:55 PM
Starting Member

Haha. I even pull the seats out and get under there. The cars look almost brand new when they leave my place.