Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

roof lights...need info asap please

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2010, 01:45 AM
Starting Member
g_mike is on a distinguished road
Default roof lights...need info asap please

hey all,
its not going on a blazer/jimmy, its going on my sisters 2010 Colorado. the brackets are mounted, i know how to connect the wiring harness, question is, how do you get the wires inside the truck cab?
do i really have to drill a hole in the roof? really dont like that idea but if thats how its done i guess i dont really have a choice.
there is a rubber rain gutter i guess you can call it, on the roof and i was thinking about removing that and drilling through there, but i dont think all the wires will fit properly through it and be able to get it back in.
my main reason for wanting to put it through there is that it is more hidden.

what do you think?
i know there are a few guys on here with roof lighting on their blazers, so how did you run the wires?

Old 12-12-2010, 01:52 AM
69chevelle is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by g_mike
hey all,
its not going on a blazer/jimmy, its going on my sisters 2010 Colorado. the brackets are mounted, i know how to connect the wiring harness, question is, how do you get the wires inside the truck cab?
do i really have to drill a hole in the roof? really dont like that idea but if thats how its done i guess i dont really have a choice.
there is a rubber rain gutter i guess you can call it, on the roof and i was thinking about removing that and drilling through there, but i dont think all the wires will fit properly through it and be able to get it back in.
my main reason for wanting to put it through there is that it is more hidden.

what do you think?
i know there are a few guys on here with roof lighting on their blazers, so how did you run the wires?

offroad lights or cab/clearence lights?

Old 12-12-2010, 02:01 AM
Starting Member

these are aftermarket offroad lights on a rack.
the rack bracket is mounted one on each side, the roof light bar rack clamps on the brackets.4 lights, they are wired up in pairs of 2, so there are 2 wiring harnesses.

i know how wiring harnesses work, its just getting the wire into the truck...i really dont like the idea of drilling a hole in the roof of a 1 month old truck...but my sis and her husband really want them on the truck and this is the only way i can see it getting in.

its a 2010 Colorado 4dr 4x4
and yes ill put up a pic once i have them wires up, they also just put a bullbar on it last week. im trying to convince them to get a wench too.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:15 AM

Originally Posted by g_mike
these are aftermarket offroad lights on a rack.
the rack bracket is mounted one on each side, the roof light bar rack clamps on the brackets.4 lights, they are wired up in pairs of 2, so there are 2 wiring harnesses.

i know how wiring harnesses work, its just getting the wire into the truck...i really dont like the idea of drilling a hole in the roof of a 1 month old truck...but my sis and her husband really want them on the truck and this is the only way i can see it getting in.

its a 2010 Colorado 4dr 4x4
and yes ill put up a pic once i have them wires up, they also just put a bullbar on it last week. im trying to convince them to get a wench too.

hmm I will look at our colorado tomorrow and get back to you.

Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 AM
Starting Member

thanks, i appreciate it.
they are dropping the truck off in a couple days, so i cant even really look at it to plan how i am going to do it. i took a really quick look today but i was in a rush.
the lights they got are PIAA, really good quality but the looks of it..glass lenses and metal housings...i was surprised, everything seems to be plastic these days lol

Old 12-12-2010, 02:32 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

*Moving thread to Lounge*

since this thread really has nothing to do with Blazers nor is it a chronological documentation of any real project and if it becomes an actual build thread I'll appologize and move it back. That's a promise

And PIAA make expensive but good quality products. Mostly lighting.

Old 12-12-2010, 03:14 AM

IMO waste of money.... but I am cheap haha.... extremely well made compared to anything else

being a 2010 it should have onstar, which has a hole cut to run the antenna wire through(the black thing on the roof) you might be able to somehow use that hole if the seal is thick enough under it.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:27 AM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

You could also do what I did with my XM antenna. Open the door, run it down the weatherstrip outside and then run it into the kick panel near the botom. I've had an issue before where I ran my XM antenna about midway down and water followed the wire into my truck... took a week for the carpet to dry out it was so wet, and I had to tear the sound deadening mat out from underneath too and let that hang in the sun. I learned my lesson and it's passed through that "union joint" at the bottom where the weather strip is connected to itself to make one piece. You may be able to coax the wire through there depending on the gauge.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:52 PM
Starting Member

Originally Posted by oktain
*Moving thread to Lounge*
since this thread really has nothing to do with Blazers nor is it a chronological documentation of any real project and if it becomes an actual build thread I'll appologize and move it back. That's a promise
i brought it to this forum because the colorado replaced the s10, and this forum seems to have merged towards any build or any chevy truck except avalanches lol.
its kinda of a light build thread thats why i put it there so i could get more input from people that actually do mods. its got a bullbar added, there is a legal trailer hitch bumper splitter going on(hahah). and a wench. interior soft compound bow and cross bow racks are going in, and we may do a full or partial vynal wrap of mossy cammo eventually. im also looking for small projectors that i can ut HID's in and mount on the bullbar (its already got the mounting holes on it,but they are plugged), i want them to have functional fog lights. its not all going to happen at once but it will get done.
but put it wherever you like, doesnt bother me,its your forum.

there is 4 wires total (2 from each harness) they are about double the thickness of the xm radio magnetic antenna wires.
i think he mounted the brackets for the light bar too far forward, they are over the front 2 doors, if they were further back, like at least over the B pillar i could have run them across and down then tuck into the interior b pillar cover. there would have been minimal wires shown and no drilling.

ive got to check to see where the roof antenna is on this truck, and how close it is to the wires i need to fish through...if its close then thats going to be my attempted entry point.
man its hard to visualise how im going to do this without it in front of me!

thanks both of you for your input, ill be sure to post it up before and after as soon as i get my hands on the keys!!!!

Old 12-12-2010, 02:21 PM
BF Veteran

Any build is welcome in the build thread (There's a mini-bike build in there lmao), this thread just seemed more like an open inquiry of "Where should I run this on my Colorado?" instead of "This is what I have done, started with this stock Colorado and made it into a badass little truck." Usually the latter constitutes a build lol.

Post up the process and how you did it and it'll get moved back, OR you can make a new thread in the Build all about your lighting process, that way you won't have a page of our suggestions and it'll be all build related.

If you're not sure what I mean just check out the 2 project links in my signature.

And post pics when you're done, I suggest making a new thread about your project and I love the look of Colorado's done up with offroad lights, bullbars, etc.

Quick Reply: roof lights...need info asap please