Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Seriously debating buying a car

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 12:53 AM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sisk
I'm spending upwards of $50/week in gas just going back and forth to work. I can't believe how unbelievably terrible these beasts are on gas.

that's it!?!

when i work a full week (not that often lately) i start with a full can on Monday morning, and by Friday on the way home, i've gone through another 1/2 to 5/8 of a tank. (almost 600K).

and that's why i've gotta get my Jetta fixed (damn injection pump).

but i'm pretty sure Alex is gonna be using his truck to comute on the really crappy days sport_drew.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:03 AM
BF Veteran
ABN31B is on a distinguished road

yeah, but in your day gas was so expensive because not enough of your dinosaur pals had decomposed to goo yet

Old 02-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Starting Member
Dbrown843 is on a distinguished road

Alex! buy my truck
but you would get less gas mileage, but for a damn beast!

Old 02-02-2010, 01:52 AM
papacope is an unknown quantity at this point

I'll trade you trucks Dbrown843. lol

Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Starting Member
DSMayo is on a distinguished road

Before I bought my Blazer I rocked a 94 Toyota Tercel and that was the best car ever. I tossed around the thought of selling it but Im glad I didn't. When I drove the blazer as a DD I had to fill up about every 3 days... needless to say the Tercel is back on the roads!

Even if you spend a little extra cash to get a commuter, it feels good to not fill up so often, just my .02

Old 02-02-2010, 02:08 AM
Jisher is on a distinguished road

Ive been driving a Cavalier and ive been loving it. Im a pretty big guy but it still is surprisingly roomy. Bought it 2 years ago totaled. Put 600$ into it and haven't had a problem yet.

Old 02-02-2010, 06:14 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I HATE Cavaliers/Sunfires. I think they are built like crap and are junk cars...but honestly it's just about the only car that will last a decent amount of time and only costs a few hundred $$.
And Drew, I don't have 4x4 right now (hasn't worked since I bought the truck) and I've never had an issue with getting stuck yet, so I don't see not having 4x4 being an issue. I only ever got stuck once in my driving career with my FWD civic. It was because I was being an idiot and chose not to shovel my driveway.
Dan, I would love to buy your truck. Unforunately I don't think it's in my price range lol

And my overall plan was to pick up a few hundred $$ cavy as a beater or something, and drive the **** out of it. I can barely have fun in my Blazer now because if I spin the tires I burn a 1/4 tank of gas lol.

Chris, $50 a week may not sound bad...but on my salary with only 1 income and being a home owner it's tough, especially in the winter with oil costs. I'm probably just freaking out cause of my latest oil bill lol...trying to find ways to save money. Anytime I have to spend a lot of money like this I tend to try and find ways to cut back. I'm still going to look into getting a car, but the more I think about the 1 time expenses I'll incur for buying one the more I don't think I'll do it. The taxes alone and registration will be enough for me to say screw it. Tax time is coming up too, so I have to start planning for my large tax bill which will be coming in a few months...hmmm. So many factors to weigh in.

BTW - I did a quick (rough) calculation this morning, and if I did it right I'm only getting about 11.5mpg. I travel roughly 30km (~18mi) round trip to work. I put about 60L in last Thurs the 21st. I travelled 297KM to that fill up. So thats 185mi to about 16 gallons. That's about 11.5mpg with very rough calculations. That's crazy bad.

Last edited by Sisk; 02-02-2010 at 06:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 09:17 AM
BF Veteran

11.5 = a problem....

you may have some components going bad on you man

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

yeah unless youre holding it to the floor the entire way to work (or else have a 454 swap you didnt tell us about) then 11.5 is way less that you should be getting

Old 02-02-2010, 09:42 AM
BF Veteran

that would be a tastey swap right there...

Quick Reply: Seriously debating buying a car