Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

So lost a vehicle tonight

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 08:21 PM
cage47 is on a distinguished road
Default So lost a vehicle tonight

Well, sorta. Sorry no pics. But I gave my daughter my Saturn Vue when she sold her avenger. She liked Equinoxes and it was basically the same car. The money is what I used to get my TrailBlazer. Well tonight she lost it when some kids ran a light and she hit them. Cops already said it's their fault. So she'll get the insurance for it. But it did it's job. Grandson was in the carseat and airbags went off. From what I can tell from when I saw it the engine got hit. It was leaking oil and gas. Front right is trashed. All she got was a broken nose and sore jaw from the air bag. Grandson got bruises from the carseat straps. BUt say what you will of those cheap little saturns, it did it's job. A little frazzled but she walked away.

Old 12-14-2021, 09:11 PM
BF Veteran
DonL is on a distinguished road

Glad everyone is OK!

Old 12-15-2021, 11:40 AM

OK So got to it today. You tell me???
Yeah its a mess. And yes that's her off to the side.

Old 12-15-2021, 11:45 AM

And ya know. It wasn't my FAVORITE vehicle. It did the job, nothing fancy. But it's kinda sad to see it like this and see it go like this. I at least got the radio before the lot guy told me I couldn't take parts. Wanted the nearly new battery. But Oh well. I'd put a pic of the engine area but without knowing what the engine compartment of a vue looks like it's hard to see how bad it is. There was soooo much room in there with the little 4 cylinder, but now everything is pushed up on top of it. From what I can see the entire fuel injection hardware was crushed since the radiator frame is right on the engine block itself. And this was at 45 mph.

Old 12-17-2021, 05:56 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Cars/trucks have been designed for years to protect the passenger cabin with multiple crush zones to divert direct force away from the cabin. Looks like your old Saturn did exactly what it was supposed to do. Glad your daughter and grandson walked/crawled away with only minor injuries!

Old 12-17-2021, 09:03 PM

Yes it did it's job. We're now just waiting for his insurance to get the adjuster out and finish the claim. Trying to get them to get her a rental. She's driving the blazer for now.

Old 12-18-2021, 12:14 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

A 45MPH crash is no joke. There are some incredible forces at work there. She's really lucky there weren't more serious injuries. Airbags scare the crap out of me, but they have definitely been proven to work.

And, if it makes you feel any better, the battery probably suffered internal damage from the shock of the crash. Even if it still works, I'm guessing it wouldn't have for long.

Old 12-18-2021, 02:42 PM

It was still working after the crash. The car wasn't running but it was on and the fuel pump was still running and spraying fuel on the ground. They had to disconnect it so it wouldn't set off the fuel.

Old 12-18-2021, 03:32 PM
BF Veteran
Tom A will become famous soon enough

You would think GM would program them to kill power to the fuel pump when the airbags deploy, but that's obviously not the case.

Old 12-19-2021, 08:45 AM

Hmm. not a bad idea. But it'd probably be rolled out in their luxury lines before it would be made available to the lower line of cars, like the old saturns. I considered it a "no frills" ride. I was suprised it actually had heated seats. Heck it doesn't even auto lock the doors when you drive. My old grand am did. but hey like I said, it did it's job.

Quick Reply: So lost a vehicle tonight