Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Sorry for my absence...

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 01:42 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sorry for my absence...

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am doing kind of well. This past Tuesday (21OCT08) at 2AM I was awaken by my pager for a structure fire. The fire was at my parents place. I was there for 20 hours that day. I did not fare too well from it either and am still sort of recovering (hands/wrists mainly). All told, things could have been much worse.

A 30 foot diameter 12 ring tall grain bin almost full of corn (15,000 bushel) was on fire with flames reaching 30+ feet above the surrounding bins. Damage to grain and the bin itself total in excess of $250k replacement cost. Sadly, insurance coverage was not kept up to current steel prices.

Anyway, I am back now with somewhat diminished typing ability (hence my absence). There were quite a few cameras out during the incident so I am sure I can find some pics. At that moment, I was worried about a lot of other things. My parents were in Tennessee at the time.

Cause... A high level switch failed in the grain drier which kept the 10 million BTU burner going as the level of the corn reached too high in the top of the bin.

Old 10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default RE: Sorry for my absence...

Sorry about the craziness Kyle. Glad to have you back and in one piece!

Old 10-27-2008, 02:41 PM
Blazin NC is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that Kyle, glad you are not seriously hurt.

Old 10-27-2008, 04:34 PM
djdrew010 is an unknown quantity at this point

Sorry to hear that and hope every will come around for your parents! Glad to see know one was hurt!!

Old 10-27-2008, 05:09 PM
salvy is an unknown quantity at this point

Gee Kyle sorry to hear of the tragedy, hope everything works outs, very nice to see you back here. Not for anything but do you have city water out there? I'm a Fire Sprinkler fitter L U #676, seems it would be a good place to install a sprinkler system in these dryer area(s), and would save mega $ on insurance, even though an install would be pricey too.

Old 10-27-2008, 06:54 PM
2002XTREME is an unknown quantity at this point

Welcome back Kyle, Glad to hear your ok and no one was hurt too badly, Its a good thing you were home to get that call, and realize where it was...Thanks for being the fireman you are...

Old 10-27-2008, 09:00 PM
4x4blazerguy is on a distinguished road

Welcome back. I'm really sorry to hear ofyour loss. I'm grateful you are recovering. Take care of yourself.
Craig

Old 10-27-2008, 09:17 PM
BF Veteran
user 1016 has a spectacular aura aboutuser 1016 has a spectacular aura about

It's the call you hate to get...but unfortunately working in the same area you live is always rough..that's why I don't work where my family lives. At least no one was hurt..

Old 10-27-2008, 09:45 PM
blazin97 is on a distinguished road

Glad that it was only property damaged... could be much worse.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:44 PM
BF Veteran
kiwiblazer is on a distinguished road

Yea, sorry to hear the news Kyle. Good to have you back again. You've been missed, especially over on bf.net where it's been awfully quiet lately.

Quick Reply: Sorry for my absence...