Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Strange idea from the die-hard Chevy guy

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Starting Member
99LS4x4ryanlw is on a distinguished road
Default Strange idea from the die-hard Chevy guy

So I did a little digging and found out that Chevy no longer offers a manual transmission in their trucks. Which for a farmer like me, who chances are, will have cattle when I start my own farm (branching off of my already established family farm) and having the need for a large truck to pull goose necks and other large, heavy loads a manual tranny can work wonders especially when it comes to wear and tear on the vehicle and tranny itself. But I have always been die-hard Chevy, and I realize that the Allisons that they offer now are great, but I am seriously contemplating getting a Dodge where manual trannys are standard. I am certainly making this a bigger deal than it should be, but what do you guys think? I'm open to opinions and thoughts, and yes, I do want a brand new truck being as it will probably be the one truck I buy my entire life as long as it is running, which I intend to keep it fully functional. It just seems weird that a Chevy guy would think of buying something else lol

Old 02-22-2012, 10:22 AM
Starting Member
Mczuk is on a distinguished road

regular cab dually from the 80's sqare and simple.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:49 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Hey, Ryan.. where ya been?
I find your conundrum amusing.

1. All Chevy all the time
2. Want a stick trans to lessen wear and tear of hauling heavy.

love you cuz your farm kid like I was but a WAY different generation.

But I can make arguments against both the above.

And especially...
seriously contemplating getting a Dodge** where manual trannys are standard. ...

*** I do want a brand new truck being as it will probably be the one truck I buy my entire life as long as it is running, which I intend to keep it fully functional.
Well my OPINON is that ** rules out *** Seriously.. look around.

I am certainly making this a bigger deal than it should be, but what do you guys think? I'm open to opinions and thoughts..
Well, now you got mine, from down-state. I understand.. you're still young'n'dum and that's okay.
I was too.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:25 PM
Starting Member

I guess I wont deny young and dumb. I know that I am, I haven't been around the block I can say for Dodge (from what little I've been around them) they seem to do their fair share of work and last to get their money's worth out of them, but that is only counting a few of the hundreds of thousands that are out there...
and...I may be wrong on the tranny business, but that is one reason for the post...more input. Although I would much prefer a stick any day over an auto regardless....
but I digress, if I am amusing then I am amusing without trying to be of the sort. young and dumb, yes, but not young and a moron

Old 02-22-2012, 03:45 PM
Beginning Member
Nepa is on a distinguished road

Never thought i'd see a time when manual wasn't even an option on some vehicles. Lousy.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:09 PM
BF Veteran
abig84 will become famous soon enoughabig84 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Nepa
Never thought i'd see a time when manual wasn't even an option on some vehicles. Lousy.
ford might be the same way. when i bought my 07 f150 back in 07 i couldnt get a manual. it was available for the 6cyl and for the f250s or bigger but nothing in the halfton range. how stupid. i even tried to get it without a/c to be a cheap *** and couldnt do that either, but im glad i did get it

you might be better off getting a older truck, buy a newer used one or do what i always do. i have a 2wd for a daily driver then i got the 1ton 4x4 for whatever i need it.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:30 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

I can think of 2 reasons.
1. Consumers buy a lot more automatics than manuals.
2. Automatics help the manufacturers acheive the CAFE ratings required
by the government since they are more fuel efficient than standards for the average driver.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:02 PM
Starting Member

Yeah, not having manuals as an option is pretty lousy, but that is exactly what Chevy told me was because there wasn't much want for them any more. And I certainly hear ya on looking for an older truck, but that is where I am stuck, I want something with pretty low miles (or zero as with a new truck) beings that I plan on keeping it for a very long time and it goes without saying that the more miles a vehicle has the more potential problems it could have right out of the gate. but yes, demand has everything to do with whether a stick or auto is offered...unfortunately

Old 02-23-2012, 09:17 AM
Starting Member
rezlab will become famous soon enough

a friend of mine is a framer he went to sc and bough an f350 crew cab 7.3 turbo diesal 4x4 auto he hauls hay and what ever else he has had not any problems
i guess it depends on the truck and what you want

Old 02-23-2012, 10:09 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by rezlab
a friend of mine is a framer he went to sc and bough an f350 crew cab 7.3 turbo diesal 4x4 auto he hauls hay and what ever else he has had not any problems
i guess it depends on the truck and what you want
Ummmm.. Ryan's talking a whole different level of 'haul'. Did all that in sixties with 2wd Gimmy 270 ci ... Ford PU was for fetch something from town duty.
- and note I AM a ford guy.

What Ryan wants is a truck can do tractor duty on occasion. Only thing I disagree with is about replacing clutches and getting a superduty torque converter with a custom lockup tune.. coupeld with a humongous tranny cooler would be the way I would go

And how long those Rams really last.

Last edited by pettyfog; 02-23-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Quick Reply: Strange idea from the die-hard Chevy guy