Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Think it's time to give up

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 11:49 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy Think it's time to give up

Well guys, as they say, good things dont last forever. I think its come time to give up on my 98 jimmy, just cant keep up with the repairs. If i tryed i might as well lease a 2010 ZR1, be around the same monthly cost

everthing rattles, i mean everything, weird clank sound from underneath, stripped skid plate bolts rattle, theres a slight tick underneath, rust hole in the rockers, seat levers snapped off like cheapo plastic, windshield wipers dont work most of the time.....you get the idea. 270,000km's on her, but still fires up like its brand new

in the 5 years i owned it. new: water pump, rad, heater core, battery, plugs wires, 2 fuel pumps($2100 total) block heater, brakes, rotors, both wheel bearings, all 4 balljoints, catalytic converter effed up. thats all i can think of, for major repairs. so by my estimation thats around $5000 worth of repairs.

but anyway, looking at either the gmc canyon Z71 with the 5.3 or a full size z71 with a 5.3

Old 05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by blazinloud
...in the 5 years i owned it...by my estimation thats around $5000 worth of repairs...
So, about $1,000 per year. Good luck having new car payments less than that.

Old 05-28-2010, 04:50 PM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

of course thats on top of the payments i made on the truck. you can add another 4000 a year for the payments.....im going to save a bottle of beer for when i push it off a cliff.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:16 PM
blueblazer1982 is on a distinguished road

a new vehicle is going to be alot more reliable and usually safer then an older one.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:30 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

I wouldn't necessarily say safer or more reliable. But, hope you enjoy your new vehicle.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:47 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
I wouldn't necessarily say safer or more reliable. But, hope you enjoy your new vehicle.
Why wouldn't you say safer and more reliable on a brand new vehicle vs a 98?

I like the idea of the Canyon with the 5.3. But nothing beats a Silverado IMO.

Old 05-30-2010, 11:34 AM
Phil is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer

Because some vehicles are just unlucky from the factory. My grandmother's Impala (bought new in 04) has had so much crap thats needed to be replaced since buying it. Radiator, intake manifold gasket, several sensors, and other nagging minor things. Brand new. To this day only has 30k on it. My friend bought a 1984 Camaro around the same time for his first car for $900, V6, carb, 150k on it. Aside from oil changes and plugs and wires, he hasn't had to fix it once, nor has it broken down or stalled out on him since 2004. Another friend of mine bought a 1994 Camry, I4 with 220k on it about 3 years ago. Knew he had to replace the radiator when he bought it, and aside from that he hasn't had anything go wrong. Luck of the draw, and for the most part yeah the brand new vehicle is gonna be the better option, but osmetimes...

Last edited by Phil; 05-30-2010 at 11:37 AM.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:22 PM
shligger is on a distinguished road

Good luck with a new vehicle. Some vehicles are done from the get go but most new cars are reliable and safe machines. It's a shame they don't make small trucks anymore.

Old 05-31-2010, 09:54 PM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by 88s10Blazer

Well reliable in terms of I have friends with brand new cars that have more repair bills than I do and we had a brand new ford that was in the shop more than we drove it.
In terms of safter after seeing wrecks of a lot of your small cars they are roast after hitting the slightest thing. For example I just came back from a friends house where he towed in a brand new 2010 Chevy Aveo and they hit a tree going 20mph on a dirt road the car looks like a pancake and the insurance company totaled it out. The driver was severely injured. At least with steel I know it will take a little more than that to do that amount of damage.

Old 05-31-2010, 10:41 PM
88s10Blazer is an unknown quantity at this point

But for the most part a new vehicle is going to be more safe and reliable...

Quick Reply: Think it's time to give up