Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Too much religion

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2009, 08:23 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Too much religion

So I go to church every sunday, pray before eating and going to bed, read my Bible. And i don't think this out of the norm, and others i bet would agree that, that isn't out of the norm either. But how much religion is too much? Like how much do you have to get into religion for it to be too much?
Last week I went to work(I work at a banduet hall) and we had these 300 or so African-American womans Babtist retreat. Now they have been coming to our work for about 5 years or so, and we knew somewhat to expect. But nothing prepared me for their saturday night service. This we have come to know as their big fanalee and boy was it.
The service started at 8:30pm. 8:35 some normal songs, 8:45 the sermon begins , at 8:55 sharp, the praise jesus begins to get louder. 9:00 the infamous screaming, now this we had observed the previous year and added a complimentery water station to accomodate the parched throats. 9:10 we are in our back hall when the head contact inquires if they can have some blankets to cover the divinely touched that are laying on the very dirty room floors, ok not realy in the norm but we had our share of holy rollers before. Around 9:25 someone comes to the back hall and inquires about a biohazard cleaning kit that we are mandated to have at all times..........Apparently someone had a little to much to eat and thought of sharing :S. So, Seeing that i was being deemed the biohazard cleaning kit. I went out to assess the damage and quickly get rid of it. Saying that it was everywere is an understatement, and the fruit punch for dinner gave it an interesting color, regardless i started cleaning. As I'm cleaning another divine touched falls 2 feet away from the cleanup. As someone quickly comes over with a blanket I'm assured she will be fine being that close to the affected area, but it's not till she starts violently couffing and spitting on the floor.......well she didn't last much longer and now i have sight 2 . Not 3 minutes into cleaning sight 2, when i get another divinly touched who goes to sight 1 to cough and releave herself to make sight 1 now sight 3 .........What a night, out of all 300 people i never herd one person say i'm sorry, quite the conturary. I had someone scream from the back OH LORD SHE HAS REACHED THE NEXT LEVEL, SHE HAS PURGED!

Old 04-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear... That is kind of out there...

I do not know what you expect to get out of this thread, but I suspect it will get out of hand...

Old 04-02-2009, 09:18 PM
Thor_449 is an unknown quantity at this point

ya, after i posted it i sat back and thought.....hmm was that a good idea

Old 04-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Starting Member
blzrls is an unknown quantity at this point

wondering if that crowd will be welcomed back next year by that banquet hall?

Old 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM
BF Veteran
blazinloud is an unknown quantity at this point

zietgiest......there is noooooo God

Old 04-03-2009, 05:23 PM
Beginning Member
BomBlazer is on a distinguished road

I believe in miracles and being touched by the Holy Spirit, but to be honest it sounds like they were putting on a show... some people just get into the emotion of the moment and go all nuts and try to say they couldn't help it. THAT is what it sounds like they were doing to me...

Old 04-11-2009, 03:52 PM
Starting Member
fondo has a little shameless behavior in the past

Any religion is too much religion! Please rent Religulous...

Old 04-11-2009, 09:39 PM
Starting Member
Bigringtravis is on a distinguished road
Default .02

Originally Posted by Thor_449
Hmm... I think you're right.

There are extremes in everything and all this did is call you out! I would delete the thread.

In this day in age of unfounded scientific assumption being yeilded to as truth - we especially need to be carefull how we present anything religous. Now, more than ever, we are singled out by haters and asked to shut up and take a seat and called intollerant. I ask, who is intollerant..? This thread exemplifies just what I am saying.

It IS NOT our place to rush at people with anything Jesus (though Muslim and Buddhist is OK!?!)but, to present it when asked. It's about freewill and that's just it.

Furthermore:

Historical evidence

First of all, they are over 24, 000 ancient copies of portions of the New Testament. The closest in all other books is Homer's Iliad, which has 643 ancient copies

Secondly, the Bible itself does not have any contradictions within it. Some people will claim there are contradictions, but when you ask them about it, they have a hard time naming them.

Thirdly, the external evidence for the Bible is incredible. There is a Roman historian named Tactitus and a Jewish historian named Josephus that both support the historical accuracy of the Bible. Also, there were 17 secular historians, who wrote about the death of Jesus by crucifixion. This could not have been made up by men, and shows that external historical records support the Bible.

Finally, no one has been able to identify one historical mistake anywhere in the Bible. If man did write the Bible, we surely would have found mistakes after 2000 years. But there are none.

Archaeological evidence

There have been more than 25,000 archaeological findings relating to people, places, and events in the Bible. And believe it or not, not one of them has contradicted anything in the Bible. That in and of itself is incredible proof of the Bible's trustworthiness.

So if we can believe the historical and archaeological evidence for the Bible, why do you think it's hard for us to believe the spiritual part of the book? Or can we believe the spiritual part of the Bible?

Fulfilled prophecies validate the Bible

Did you know that approximately 25% of the entire contents of the Bible is prophecy. That means about 25%, predicts future events. And to this date, every single one of them has come true to the smallest detail, except the remaining prophecies about the return of Jesus.

Statistically, there is no way any man can predict the future with 100% accuracy. Therefore whom is the only one who can do this?

When someone predicts the future, and then what they say, comes true. And then they predict the future again, and what they say comes true over and over and over again...you can trust whoever it was that predicted the future to 100% accuracy.

The only one that can do this is the God of the Bible, which includes Jesus Christ.

We have reason to put our full trust in this book, the Bible, as eternal truth.

Here are a few.

Micah 5:2 says the Messiah will be born in Bethlehem. This is fulfilled in Luke 2:4-7.

Zechariah 11: 12-13 says the Messiah will be betrayed for 30 pieces of silver. This is fulfilled in Matthew 26:15.

Psalms 22, says the Messiah will be pierced in his hands and feet. This was written about 800 years before crucifixion was ever used as a means of punishment. The New Testament says that Jesus was crucified on across the pierced in his hands and feet.

For my favorite quote of all time:

"Look, the secular response to the Christ story always goes like this: He was a great prophet, obviously a very interesting guy, had a lot to say along the lines of other great prophets, be they Elijah, Muhammad, Buddha, or Confucius. But actually Christ doesn't allow you that. He doesn't let you off that hook. Christ says, No. I'm not saying I'm a teacher, don't call me teacher. I'm not saying I'm a prophet. I'm saying: 'I'm the Messiah.' I'm saying: 'I am God incarnate.' . . . So what you're left with is either Christ was who He said He was—the Messiah—or a complete nutcase. . . . The idea that the entire course of civilization for over half of the globe could have its fate changed and turned upside-down by a nutcase, for me that's farfetched." Bono - U2

swartlkk - I would watch this thread closely Actually, I would pull it all together.

Thanks!

P.S. I hang with Drunks, Athiests, Pot Heads and Gays and all kind of nationalities. My friend married a former call girl! Quit judging and hating, you're just cutting yourself off from some really enjoyable people! Life is too short!

I leave with this:

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=facts+of+the+bible

Old 04-11-2009, 10:15 PM
bandidolenny is on a distinguished road

LOL!! Hard day at the office eh? Good God I am glad I wasn't working there! Maybe next time you need a miracle, you can serve up some "old" potato salad! LOL!!

Old 04-12-2009, 01:30 AM
Ugly_Monkey is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Thor_449
HaHa!

No but seriously...

I think its cool just because you have now inevitably included all of us into the "drama" that was "that evening". It feels special to be included!

IMO, I think those people are all nutz, ( I do even think all your praying is kinda wierd too, lol! don't be mad!) but hey I'm Agnostic so I'm not required to pass judgement on others religions, hehe!

Awesome story!

Originally Posted by swartlkk
...but I suspect it will get out of hand...
HeHe, You got your locktight on quickdraw...

Originally Posted by Bigringtravis
...I would delete the thread...
No No, deleteing threads is censorship! You lock it, so it sets an example, lol

Last edited by Ugly_Monkey; 04-12-2009 at 01:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Too much religion