Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

The Ultimate Fun Gun?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2011, 01:31 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough
Default The Ultimate Fun Gun?

Just picked this up yesterday and will hopefully get a few rounds down range this weekend.

Thompson M1927-A1 made by Auto Ordinance, which was one of the manufacturers of the originals back in the '20s and '30s. Today, they are built using the exact same plans and specs as the originals. 230gr .45 ACP ball ammo. Semi-automatic instead of the full auto of the originals. Flip up rear peep sight that will probably be used once just to see how it works. 20 round stick magazine, 50 round drum magazine, violin case and a hard case.

I have always loved these guns and one showed up in the store a couple of months ago. Put her on lay away and snuck it home today. Weighs quite a bit more than all of my hunting rifles but this one is for play.

I really don't plan on using the 50 round drum except a couple of times. Once, at least, with a stop watch to see how fast I can empty it.

Should be fun!

Attached Thumbnails The Ultimate Fun Gun?-tommy.jpg  
Old 11-12-2011, 01:43 PM
FsTFwRd is on a distinguished road

Ahhhh! that is too awesome!! Look's like its in great shape to.
Great find man!

Old 11-13-2011, 04:49 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

Well, went out and put about 100 rounds down range.

Conclusion:

You really need to be a masculine sort to have fun with this thing. Pulling the bolt back takes a bit of effort as it bit into my hand. It weighs probably more than any firearm I've ever shot that was not mounted. Loading the 50 round drum can take a bit of time time. Winding the key on the drum to load the spring, well, I need to do a bit more shooting to get it down. I had two jams and I believe there was not enough load on the spring.

The good?

I had the best time EVER with any firearm I've ever fired. Turns out what I though was a 10 round stick magazine (as advertised) is actually a 30 round magazine! The stick mag had no problems what so ever. I didn't try the flip up peep sight as when it is down there is a dove tail rear sight and I figured I'd see how that would work.

It works.

My old laptop was the target and it caught more than a few rounds. I felt very good to see the demise of that piece of crap.

No recoil that you could really notice as the thing weighs so much plus that bolt spring is HEAVY. I've got a couple of bite marks in my hand from pulling it back. Changing out the 50 round drum is a bit of a chore. For those who have shot one of these, you know what the "third hand" is. For those who haven't, well, be prepared.

I had a blast shooting this thing with my cousin. Nothing like sending 230gr of lead down range as fast as you can pull the trigger! I'm talking about sending 30 or 50 rounds down range, not 7 like my 1911A1! And seeing that barrel smoke just adds to the cool factor!

For those wanting videos, I don't own a video camera, let alone have a clue how to upload one. I know my phone will do videos but the quality would be so bad I might get banned. Let's just say that my cousin now wants one and I'm not sure he can even own one legally.

Yes, I'm sure this is the ultimate fun gun, but not for the weak wristed .

Old 11-13-2011, 04:56 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

May i ask what you paid for it? Gun shop near me has one. he wants 1,299 for it. its in MINT shape.

Old 11-13-2011, 05:45 PM
BF Veteran

I bought it new, with the hard case, violin case and the two mags. With my discount and after taxes it came out a few bucks below $1400. The price without discount and before taxes was $1400.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:07 PM
BF Veteran
chris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura aboutchris015 has a spectacular aura about

Hmm ok. I used to collect old mosin nagants,m38's,sks's,enfields etc. Im not sure what these go for.

Old 11-13-2011, 06:25 PM
BF Veteran

Orignals, as in from the '20s and '30s, will go anywhere from $15,000 to $25,000. These will be full auto models which will require a special license from the Feds to own.

Looking at the "parts" the mine came with you should be able to get a bare bones model for $600-$800. This wouldn't include and magazines or drums. The 50 round drum alone goes for almost $200. The 30 round stick magazine isn't much less.

Old 11-14-2011, 08:46 AM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by chris015
Hmm ok. I used to collect old mosin nagants,m38's,sks's,enfields etc. Im not sure what these go for.

love the mosin nagants, i have one right now and i use it for hunting/just shooting

but either way nice looking gun, my favorite gun is a toss up between the hi-point 995 or my SKS

Old 11-14-2011, 07:01 PM
BF Veteran
oktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant futureoktain has a brilliant future

Semi auto eh? I should be able to get it in Canada, especially once I get my restricted firearms lisence... I've got a .44magnum that's dying to be shot off lol.

Old 11-14-2011, 09:23 PM
BF Veteran

I don't know the laws in Canuck land but if you want a gun that is an absolute blast to shoot, I can't recommend anything better than this.

Quick Reply: The Ultimate Fun Gun?