Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Update to Envoy/Trailblazer

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2010, 10:18 PM
Starting Member
megaroos_00 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Update to Envoy/Trailblazer

So my fiance and I were discussing which suv I might purchase next when my blazer meets it's maker finally and we got on the subject of envoys and trailblazers. We were wondering why they haven't had an update to their look like the equinox recently received.

Are they discontinuing the trailblazer/envoy after 2009? I did some searches on google and couldn't really come up with much for those models after last year. Does anyone know?

Old 02-22-2010, 10:49 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The GMT360/370 line (Trailblazer, Envoy, Rainier, 9-7x, Ascender) are likely being replaced with the newer GM Lambda platform vehicles (Traverse, Acadia, Enclave, Outlook, etc). Even though the Lambda vehicles are being classified as a cross-over and not an SUV, they are equivalent in size and function. With a 275hp/251ftlb v6 (newer engines bump this output up a bit) and a 6 speed automatic transmission (albeit transverse mounted giving it a FWD or AWD platform only), they are pretty quick and the transmission is a beauty.

While the outgoing GMT360/370 still had the body on frame construction, the newer unibody chassis are VERY strong and offer more room, increased rigidity with better ride quality than the previous trucks. This is based off of my personal experience with tossing one of the new Acadia models around when they came out in 2007 comparing it with my Rainier.

The towing capacity is actually a bit higher than the out-going GMT360/370 (4500lbs vs 4000lbs).

The ground clearance is a bit lower than the GMT360/370 trucks (7.4in vs 8.0in). The s-series suv's only have around 7.5" ground clearance stock.

Add to that the fact that there likely won't be too much call for aftermarket lifts, etc for this truck, if you are into serious offroading, you will want to look elsewhere. Most will probably find that it handles the light to moderate offroad obstacles much the same as stock s-series and GMT360/370 trucks do. I haven't found much that my Rainier and my 2k Bravada before it couldn't do when out checking tree stands, putting up posted signs, and working out in muddy fields with my father, but I also haven't gone out looking for situations to get myself stuck in. I don't need the aggravation.

The part that bothers me the most about the Lambda chassis is the standard FWD configuration. It does keep things nice and compact, but it just isn't a truck. They do ride nice though. Much better than any s-series I have ridden in and a bit better than my Rainier.

Old 02-23-2010, 12:10 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

That's disappointing. My friend's parents have a GMC Acadia, very nice luxury vehicle however the thought of towing or even trying to make it up an un-plowed driveway wouldn't even cross my mind. Seems like there would still be some market for a more capable vehicle but I guess since the average SUV buyer of today doesn't want the tough truck ride, poor mileage, road noise, and doesn't want to admit a van is more fitting of their needs this must be the compromise.

Old 02-23-2010, 07:56 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

I thought they already confirmed they were dead? There isn't a 2010 model year for either yet is there? That is a sure fire sign that they're dead.
I was under the impression that the Envoy was being replaced by the Terrain and the Trailblazer will be replaced with something based on the Terrain.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:02 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

The Terrain is the Equinox equivalent to the small cross-over market. The Trailblazer/Envoy/Rainier was the Mid-sized SUV which is where the Traverse/Acadia/Enclave/Outlook/etc come in.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:12 AM
BF Veteran
Sisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant futureSisk has a brilliant future

Ohh, ok. My mistake. I thought the Terrain was in the same class as the Envoy since it's about the same size. Those Lambda vehicles are HUGE compared to the current Envoys/TB's.

Old 02-23-2010, 08:24 AM
Administrator

Outsides the Lambda platform fits between the GMT360 & GMT370 in terms of length and wheelbase. The Lambda platform is 14" longer than the standard wheelbase GMT360 (205" vs 191"), 4" shorter than the extended GMT370 trucks (205" vs 209") and 3.7" wider overall (78.4" vs 74.7"). That ~4" wider makes for a LOT more room inside. The Traverse has a 118.9" wheel base vs. the GMT360 113" & GMT370 129" wheel base.

The Terrain/Equinox is 6" shorter and 2" narrower than the GMT360 and rides on a 112.5" wheel base. That is quite a bit smaller than the outgoing GMT360 platform.

Basically, they increased the size of the old Equinox platform by a bit and downsized the GMT370 platform a tad to get to the new small & mid-sized CUV category vehicles.

Old 02-23-2010, 10:27 AM
Starting Member
TheStig is on a distinguished road

I would be willing to bet the engineers that designed these cars cant rattle that kind of info off lol

Old 02-23-2010, 12:11 PM
BF Veteran
Benedict1337 will become famous soon enough

those crossovers are pretty much mini vans with 4 wheel drive. the funny thing about all of it is my mom's subaru outback is probably better offroad than most of those cross overs. Its really sad actually that the only vehicle you can buy for offroading brand new is a jeep wrangler. Even tahoes and suburbans are made more for luxury. I do wish chevy would make a comparable truck to the ford raptor, that thing is really cool

Old 02-23-2010, 12:28 PM
BF Veteran

Keep in mind the Subaru's have an awesome AWD system though. I do agree however, there is a severe lack of serious off road capable vehicles beyond a large truck or Jeep. The only ones that come to mind are the Jeep, the Toyota FJ, Toyota 4 Runner and then all the full sized trucks.

Quick Reply: Update to Envoy/Trailblazer