The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Visit US

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2024, 01:44 PM
Starting Member
jimmy_for_ever is on a distinguished road
Post Visit US

Hello everybody,

I will visit USA for first time and I will stay for 1 month in Connecticut. My question is where is the places that I can visit there or what states I can visit ?
Because I like cars and boats but I don't know the places that have the things that I am interesting in. Second, question what is the most people use in US cash or credit card which is better as a tourist and what is the places that I should be away from to be safe

thank you

Old 05-08-2024, 03:06 PM
BF Veteran
christine_208 will become famous soon enough

Where do you currently live? That will give people a reference point for answering your question.

Old 05-08-2024, 03:22 PM
Starting Member

Hi christine I living in middle east

Old 05-08-2024, 10:53 PM
LesMyer will become famous soon enough

Do you have a host in the USA - or are you visiting completely on your own?

Old 05-09-2024, 09:44 AM
Starting Member

Yes, I have host there but he is new. He just spend 4 months there

Old 05-09-2024, 11:47 AM
BF Veteran

OK!

Connecticut will be a good home base for an exploration of New England. A lot of important events in US history occurred in Massachusetts so that there are many museums, monuments, and parks that describe these events.

The coast of New England has a long seafaring tradition so that there are many maritime museums and neat towns and cities with access to the sea. You can likely also find whale-watching tours too.

I'm a sailor so I really enjoyed the maritime museum I visited in Maine. I think it was in Bath or Portland.

There are beautiful public beaches along with state and national parks to visit along the coast and inland.

Depending on the time of year, Cape Cod can be very busy. I had a great visit in April a long time ago. The challenge was finding a place to stay as most motels and hotels were closed until Memorial Day Weekend (at the end of May). I really enjoyed staying in Chatham. Provincetown is nice but I like quieter places.

Inland the Green Mountains of Vermont and White Mountains of New Hampshire are beautiful and have lots of cute little towns scattered among them. I lived near the Connecticut River Valley which I liked. There is a small diner in Fairlee that I still think of 20 years later. :-)

Between Fairlee and the next town north is a motel that also had a drive-in movie theater which I think is still there. Seeing a movie there is quite the American experience!

If course there is Boston with all of its museums, restaurants, and history. And for another purely American experience, you can see a baseball game at Fenway Park. But be sure to take a friend who knows the game. Baseball can hard to understand if you are not familiar with it. LOL

As for money, credit cards are a good way to go. There are ATMs, automatic teller machines, very many places from which you can get some cash using a bank or credit card. It can be handy to have at least $40 in your pocket for buying small things.

Have fun!

Old 05-09-2024, 11:51 AM
BF Veteran

BTW, I was very biased in my recommendations since I lived in Vermont.

However, Rhode Island has lots of maritime museums and a long boating tradition too.

Then there is New York City. I cannot help you with advice about it except I've heard it can be overwhelming!

Old 05-10-2024, 04:20 AM
Starting Member

Thank you very much Christine. I saw some photos of Rhode Island it seems a beautiful place but I don't know if I can reach there by train or not because I don't have car and even if I want drive rental car I think my driving license is not accepted in USA.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:34 AM

To drive in the USA you will need to obtain an IDP before you travel outside your country.

--------------------------------------------------

Getting an international driver permit

An international driver permit (or IDP) is essentially an English translation of a foreign-language license that was issued by a country outside of the U.S. An international driver permit can only be obtained in the country that issued the actual license.
Important:
An IDP alone is not considered a valid license; it must accompany the valid foreign license.

Students and visitors to Connecticut:
Connecticut permits a student or visitor to operate a motor vehicle in Connecticut for up to one year with a foreign license. If the license is in a language other than English or Spanish, the license must be accompanied by an IDP, which serves as an English translation of the foreign license.Note: Out-of-country licenses are not acceptable as a form of identification.

Old 05-10-2024, 07:35 AM

What is your age? Rental car companies can have minimum age restrictions. Credit card you would use for typical rental car would need to have significant credit available for the rental company to accept it, and then that is taken from your available credit. But there are local rental companies that are much cheaper and could rent older car for entire time you are in the USA if you like.

If you have trouble renting, then have your sponsor rent car and put you on as a second driver. Don't forget to take insurance.

Make sure you have more than one credit card + emergency cash when coming to the USA. You need a backup if there is ever a problem.

Last edited by LesMyer; 05-10-2024 at 07:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Visit US