Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Visiting US for the first time, Minneapolis, MN

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:09 PM
Beginning Member
mange is on a distinguished road
Default Visiting US for the first time, Minneapolis, MN

Hi

March 19th I'm going to US for the first time.
Helping a company starting up their production.
I'll be there for two weeks and want suggestions what to visit. As I'm working I can't travel very far but I'll have a rental car with unlimited kilometres. I'm visiting Minneapolis, MN.

At some point I will probably want to get out of town and see some country.

What do you suggest?

Best regards
Magnus

Last edited by mange; 03-02-2011 at 12:10 PM. Reason: city in title
Old 03-02-2011, 12:35 PM
m3ch is on a distinguished road

one place i would go would be MOA (i live in state but further north) and just got about 2 hours in any direction from minneapolis and you will eventually get into some country, mostly north, brainerd area is a nice area (i live further north than that) and where i live theres nothing but woods, forests and lakes

Old 03-03-2011, 08:06 PM
BF Guru
old skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of lightold skool luvr is a glorious beacon of light

nowhere near where you'll be visiting, but welcome to this side of the pond.

hopefully this will be enough notice for any members in the Minneapolis area to arange a member meet.

hope you enjoy your visit.

Old 03-05-2011, 06:10 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by m3ch
one place i would go would be MOA (i live in state but further north) and just got about 2 hours in any direction from minneapolis and you will eventually get into some country, mostly north, brainerd area is a nice area (i live further north than that) and where i live theres nothing but woods, forests and lakes
Okey, thanks I'll see what I find and do.

Originally Posted by old skool luvr
nowhere near where you'll be visiting, but welcome to this side of the pond.

hopefully this will be enough notice for any members in the Minneapolis area to arange a member meet.

hope you enjoy your visit.
Thank you. It will be exciting to visit US. I just hope my rental car is an american car... if I get something like a Prius I will rather walk.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:32 AM
84BlazerS10 is on a distinguished road

Welcome to the US hope you enjoy your stay. Just tell them you don't want that girly pos and to get you a real car. :P

Old 03-07-2011, 10:37 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by 84BlazerS10
Welcome to the US hope you enjoy your stay. Just tell them you don't want that girly pos and to get you a real car. :P

Thank you! I don't think it'll be a Prius, probably like a Focus.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:49 AM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

Most rental companies will try to comply with your wishes for what you want to drive - if they have it available at the time.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:57 AM
ohsofly will become famous soon enoughohsofly will become famous soon enough

The states where I went was pretty cool. I went to the coast of Washington in the NW. People have an american accent and they only live 10km away from me. There is sooooo many eagles on the coast, and the roads have these weird bump/reflectors attached to the road instead of paint, they make alot of noise when you drive over them. The border crossing guys dont mess around either, they even took the subs out of my speaker box and let the german shepard climb around in my truck for a while while I had to stand in the building and wait quietly and answer ALOT of questions. Some of the questions were personal and borderline insulting like the guy was baiting me to get mad. The funniest part is that if I was going to transport something illegal, I would have just put them in my pocket cause they went over everything with a fine tooth comb EXCEPT for me... I think it was just cause it was my first time crossing, every other time it was OK. The border wait can be insane too, luckily I could cut right into the front of the line like a v.i.p. from 0 ave because my adress proved that I lived in that area, and that cut a rush hour crossing by a huge amount not having to get in the back of the line. You will have to pass through these huge yellow things, and from what I have gathered they measure density. If you had a secret compartment in the gas tank, they would see if cause the density of the gas wouldnt be the same as the object inside. Pretty neat technology. Some poeple I know have a "Nexus" speed pass, and those are crazy. You have to get an Iris eye scan to get one, and then the cameras just zoom in on the eyes of the people in the car, and a number comes up on the screen of how many nexus card holders are in the car, and they dont need to show their ID cause the computers and stuff confirmed who you are before you even said Hi to the USBP officer who usually just waves you through... Needless to say your first border cross at a major crosspoint is very intimidating.

Have fun. Hopefully your work will need you to set up shop in hawaii one day!

Old 03-07-2011, 11:34 AM
Beginning Member

Originally Posted by rriddle3
Most rental companies will try to comply with your wishes for what you want to drive - if they have it available at the time.
Yes, but I have no contact with the guys in the US, except with a couple of the workers. But it doesn't matter really.. I get a free trip to US.

Originally Posted by ohsofly
The states where I went was pretty cool. I went to the coast of Washington in the NW. People have an american accent and they only live 10km away from me. There is sooooo many eagles on the coast, and the roads have these weird bump/reflectors attached to the road instead of paint, they make alot of noise when you drive over them. The border crossing guys dont mess around either, they even took the subs out of my speaker box and let the german shepard climb around in my truck for a while while I had to stand in the building and wait quietly and answer ALOT of questions. Some of the questions were personal and borderline insulting like the guy was baiting me to get mad. The funniest part is that if I was going to transport something illegal, I would have just put them in my pocket cause they went over everything with a fine tooth comb EXCEPT for me... I think it was just cause it was my first time crossing, every other time it was OK. The border wait can be insane too, luckily I could cut right into the front of the line like a v.i.p. from 0 ave because my adress proved that I lived in that area, and that cut a rush hour crossing by a huge amount not having to get in the back of the line. You will have to pass through these huge yellow things, and from what I have gathered they measure density. If you had a secret compartment in the gas tank, they would see if cause the density of the gas wouldnt be the same as the object inside. Pretty neat technology. Some poeple I know have a "Nexus" speed pass, and those are crazy. You have to get an Iris eye scan to get one, and then the cameras just zoom in on the eyes of the people in the car, and a number comes up on the screen of how many nexus card holders are in the car, and they dont need to show their ID cause the computers and stuff confirmed who you are before you even said Hi to the USBP officer who usually just waves you through... Needless to say your first border cross at a major crosspoint is very intimidating.

Have fun. Hopefully your work will need you to set up shop in hawaii one day!
Thank you. It will be interesting to experience those bordercontrols.