Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

What to do?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2012, 01:23 AM
Beginning Member
Druidic is on a distinguished road
Default What to do?

Besides the Blazer, I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse that I have owned for the past 5 years. I have 167K on it, and currently is out of commission, needing some work done to it. Been debating with myself about fixing it up enough to get it into a decent running order, which is about $700 or so if I do most of the work myself, and then giving it to a family member that needs a car, and later on, when my disposable income raises, getting another of the same year and play with that, or to keep the current Eclipse, and upgrading the one I have. It would be about 2 years, give or take, for the income to raise up (giving time to finish school and get a job in the field I am aiming for). Any ideas? And no, staying away from the eclipses is not an option lol

Old 03-21-2012, 04:43 AM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Druidic
Besides the Blazer, I have a 2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse that I have owned for the past 5 years. I have 167K on it, and currently is out of commission, needing some work done to it. Been debating with myself about fixing it up enough to get it into a decent running order, which is about $700 or so if I do most of the work myself, and then giving it to a family member that needs a car, and later on, when my disposable income raises, getting another of the same year and play with that, or to keep the current Eclipse, and upgrading the one I have. It would be about 2 years, give or take, for the income to raise up (giving time to finish school and get a job in the field I am aiming for). Any ideas? And no, staying away from the eclipses is not an option lol
Not trying to be rude but i would dump the eclipse. Those years are ok but the 210hp V6 is more than half a sec slower 0-60 then the 2nd gen 210 hp GSX and can be money pits. One main reason was before R/A it was hard to get parts for them unless you went through the dealer. But if you like eclipses i would get that one up and running for a family member or as a beater/fuel efficient car since gas is going to hit $4. Plus at 167k that mitz is over the hill, if it was a honda or nissan you might have been ok but not mitz. Anyway then find a 2nd gen turbo AWD Eclipse GSX or eagle TSi and mess with that. i dont really like FWD for performance, but i am hypocritical cause i am trying to mess with my Vtec accord. XD

But thats if you want performance if your just making it look nice, once you have the money upgrade what you got. Its always easier and cheaper to upgrade what you have then what you could have.

thats just my thoughts and its your car so you have the only say

Old 03-21-2012, 12:03 PM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Besides the fact I still have memories of 80's era mitsu's and consider all of them henceforth as POS.. what you like is up to you and dont let anyone tell you what you should or should not like.

But some advice on the concept of fixing it up for a family member.. when you do that, it's like you still own it but have no control on how it's treated.
It doesn't even matter if you actually sell it to them.

Whether that person expects you to continue fixing it is irrelevant.. it's YOU that will feel the obligation.

How far does that go? Well, I allude to fact I'm a Ford guy often... my brothers are dyed in wool GM. When I told them I bought the Bravadiva they were quite a bit less than thrilled. Because they felt somewhat responsible, I guess, even though I reassured them I knew exactly what I was getting into. The other element of course, they didnt want to put up with hearing me bitch. Which I have not.

Last edited by pettyfog; 03-21-2012 at 12:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:13 PM
Beginning Member

Petty, I wouldn't have to worry about that, the family member in question lives a couple states away from me, so there is no expectation or obligation.

K1500, for some reason, this specific eclipse has done really well, considering how much crap I put it through. It's the second car I've owned, (the first one I only had for a couple months), and when I first got it, I had played around quite a bit. Wife and kids tempered that down. If the trend continues, I do think I could break 200, possibly even 250 before I would need major work done, ie motor, tranny, et cetera... Granted this is speculation, and I could be off the mark, but I'm going by what I have seen so far

Old 03-22-2012, 04:57 AM
K1500brute is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Druidic
Petty, I wouldn't have to worry about that, the family member in question lives a couple states away from me, so there is no expectation or obligation.

K1500, for some reason, this specific eclipse has done really well, considering how much crap I put it through. It's the second car I've owned, (the first one I only had for a couple months), and when I first got it, I had played around quite a bit. Wife and kids tempered that down. If the trend continues, I do think I could break 200, possibly even 250 before I would need major work done, ie motor, tranny, et cetera... Granted this is speculation, and I could be off the mark, but I'm going by what I have seen so far
K but what major work??? if its a new or rebuilding a trans/motor you might want to pass it on unless you got the money to fix it or the know how to fix it for less than you can sell it in running condition. I know its the (i would call that your first true car) first car syndrome could be time to find another 3rd gen. but like i said your car you call

Old 03-22-2012, 01:14 PM
Beginning Member

What I was saying is I could possibly get that high of mileage before I would need to do that major work. The work I need to do right now is the inner tierod, which is needed, but not uber major like a transmission would be.

Old 03-22-2012, 02:06 PM
atvwarrior will become famous soon enough

So the tie rod is 700 dollars if you do it your self , holy crap .

Old 03-22-2012, 04:03 PM
Beginning Member

Nah, tie rod by itself isn't 700. The 700 is the part and labor for the tierod, because I don't knw how to do the inner tie rod, and the parts for me doing oil change, plugs, brakes, et cetera

Old 03-22-2012, 05:09 PM
unixbro is on a distinguished road

Everything you just listed isn't even close to 700 even at the stealership. Inner tie rod is easy, but if you don't know what your doing and would rather a shop do it, my son bought his part at Napa then brought it to the shop to have it installed and then aligned (never do front end work witthout an alignment afterwards) and total it cost him $115.00 for everything plus an oil change and lube.

just an fyi
unixbro

Old 03-22-2012, 05:15 PM
Beginning Member

Sweet, looks like it will be cheaper than I thought. Always a good thing lol