Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

What Tools Do You Use For Automotive Need?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2012, 08:30 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default What Tools Do You Use For Automotive Need?

Question says it...

What tools does everybody use to work on their vehicles?

Air tools?
Electric?
Cordless?
Hand?

What brand? What do ya have? Pictures are welcome too!

Personally, I'm just trying to see what kind of tools are out there.
I want a cordless impact wrench but they aren't cheap.

Right now, I've got mostly hand tools. 3 or 4 ratchets, 1 craftsman, 1 sparta or a name similar to that (usa made, really old, was my grandfathers), 1 from harbor freight

Electric random orbital sander from harbor freight
Electric drill from somewhere lol, can't remember right now

And some other odds and ins like a craftsman screwdriver set as well as a harbor freight screwdriver set

Old 01-02-2012, 09:15 PM
neo71665 will become famous soon enoughneo71665 will become famous soon enough

Um, yes

I have a lil bit of everything.

Craftsman still makes good hand tools but run away anything they have that powered.

Electricain in me but all my screwdrivers and most of my pliers and stuff are klein.

I'm a dewalt fan. I do have a few other brands but all my cordless is 18 volt dewalt.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:19 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

craftsman is starting to make weak ratchets ....

some of mine are starting to slip

Old 01-02-2012, 09:24 PM
May One is on a distinguished road

I have a set of Snap On hand tools and I borrow anything I need that I dont have. Otherwise Im old school, I do everything by hand (unless Im at my Dads, he has Craftsman air tools/ sockets, wrenches, etc). Hoping to slowly add to my collection as the years go by or as I need them,lol.

Old 01-02-2012, 09:33 PM
mr.vls will become famous soon enough

Hand tools, Air Tools (Could not work without them). I have a fair amount of craftsman, some MAC and Snapon and a bunch of no name along with some tools I purchased from harbor freight. I use whatever will help me get the job done at hand. If I only need a tool for a one time job I will try and get if from Loan A Tool at auto zone or buy from harbor freight. I have had success with purchases from harbor freight and I have had junk from harbor freight. It depends on the tool. I purchased a bolt head extractor socket head set for removing rounded bolts from harbor freight and they work perfectly

Old 01-02-2012, 09:44 PM
Beginning Member
Scorpious is on a distinguished road

hand tools are key used to use only husky and stanley sockets.. i stay away from craftmen and mastercrap
alot of mastercraft vice grips and pliers though..

also just started using power tools with my new 11gal compressor and tools.. works great but looses air alot, would use a 20gal or 60gal in the future if the budget gets that far lol.

i will say for record.. hand tools are very important, its hard to gauge trq spec with a air rachet, but a hand rachet you can feel when it tight or loose or close to broken.

for power tools Bosch all the way... never understood the dewalt hype

also to OP if you find a cordless impact that can break free a tire nut let me know ill buy it asap, ive used dozens ranging from $50-$500 and still havent found one with the trq needed

Last edited by Scorpious; 01-02-2012 at 09:47 PM.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:54 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

Yea it would be nice on the highway to have a cordless impact

1 2 3 tire change

Old 01-03-2012, 12:53 AM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I'm all hand tools but my new Makita 18v cordless drill. I'm liking how fast the drill takes the small stuff out, but everything else is hand done here. I don't even really like the ratcheting screwdrivers. Don't ask me why.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:38 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

I have mainly Craftsman hand tools. My torque wrenches are from NAPA along with some of my impact sockets. My air tools are Ingersol Rand for the most part. Rockin' a Brunner 30 gallon air compressor built in the 1920's at the moment. Still waiting for a buddy to hook me up with a solid state phase converter to run the 3 phase 5HP motor for my 'new' air 120 gallon Saylor-Beall air compressor. Heck, it's been over a year since I picked that up...

Old 01-03-2012, 05:38 AM
Starting Member
wheelhead4x4 is on a distinguished road

Lets see:

For hand tools I got some craftsmen an great neck from auto zone

No air tools

Power tools: impact wrench is a ryobi from depot. impact drill is ryobi too

Quick Reply: What Tools Do You Use For Automotive Need?