Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

When will GM learn?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I had to move a coworkers '05 HHR last week and just from that I would hate to actually drive one. It seemed really cramped and difficult to see out of. Plus I don't really like the looks all that much

Old 07-18-2011, 04:54 PM
Starting Member
kevlar974 is on a distinguished road

That lifted picture of the hhr looks alot like a durango

Old 07-18-2011, 07:02 PM
Starting Member
maddie's dad is on a distinguished road

I love my GM products. For me they are easier to work on than other brands. Please don't think that I am a closed minded brand loyal idiot. I have had my share of GM lemons over the years too. I know that the Big Three auto manufacturers have some serious problems. All I have is opinions, not solutions, so in the interest of not pissing anyone off, I will keep them to myself.

Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 PM
RangerG will become famous soon enoughRangerG will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by maddie's dad
I love my GM products. For me they are easier to work on than other brands. Please don't think that I am a closed minded brand loyal idiot. I have had my share of GM lemons over the years too. I know that the Big Three auto manufacturers have some serious problems. All I have is opinions, not solutions, so in the interest of not pissing anyone off, I will keep them to myself.
It's a GM forum I think you're good lol.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:44 PM
davtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant futuredavtak has a brilliant future

All I favor for bringing back the Blazer raise your hands?? Just saying haha. I really think they should, GM is turning into a nursery rhyme only they havent gotten to the just right yet lol. Everything is too big or too small. Don't hit me, but I sort of like the Ford Edge *cough cough cough* Did I say that >.> <.<

Old 07-19-2011, 02:29 AM
Starting Member
nineTnine is on a distinguished road

I vote for resurrecting the Blazer, as long as GM doesn't uglify it like everything else they make. Don't get me wrong, I love a lot of GM products, but I stopped liking new ones in about 2006. Maybe the new CTS-V coupe is okay, i just hate the chunky/blocky style nowadays. Everything for years upon years was sleek and rounded no matter what body style. Now its all creases and box shapes. The only new vehicles I really actually like are the new F-150 crew cabs and the Ram 1500 crew cabs. If I were to get a new vehicle, it would be a Lariat F-150 4x4 crew cab but I'd keep the Blazer of course . And I've been an avid Ford hater all my life. That should say something right there GM

Last edited by nineTnine; 07-19-2011 at 02:31 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:29 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I rode in and drove a loaded Escape the other day. Very nice. Comfortable. Excellent amenities. Quiet and smooth ride. But alas a 4 cyl and FWD. Not exactly off road material.

Even the new Explorer and Durango aren't full framed anymore.

And the Edge? Might as well drive a PT Cruiser. I like the Flex, but only in black and only for street cruising.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:54 PM
BF Veteran
DKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the roughDKSDAD is a jewel in the rough

I was out on the beach fishing again last night and what do I see go by, a brand new Ford Explorer. A bit later on a Jeep Liberty and at the end of the night, you are going to love this one an Acura MDX with fishing poles on the roof. GM there is your competition on 2 of your crossovers Acadia and Terrain. How about offering a selectable 4 wheel drive option or a full time all- wheel drive. I am just saying.

Old 07-25-2011, 12:14 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't buy the Explorer, not a full frame vehicle. The Liberty gets worse mileage than the Blazer, is more cramped, and actually rides worse than my Blazer. I can't afford an MDX.

Old 08-02-2011, 11:07 AM
BF Veteran
pettyfog has a spectacular aura aboutpettyfog has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by DKSDAD
Last Friday I am airing up the tires on my wifes Envoy after a few hours on the beach fishing with the family when what do I see but a fairly new Ford Escape pull of the road and head down the trail to the beach. My turns to me and says did you see that, how come GM does not make a lower priced 4x4 like that? That is why you don't sell alot of Terrains. Even she gets it.
I'm a Ford guy.
eh..eh...eh!!!! Before you start.. I've lived in Dayton 'burbs all my life; I worked for GM 2 years, most my friends worked at GM, majority of my family -blood AND in-laws- is retired GM.

Guess what I was looking for when I found my Bravada? A decent used Escape at a decent price.. for my wife. There freakin' ARENT ANY!

I missed the boat 14 months ago when I count have gotten a cherry 07 Escape for 8 grand.. couldnt convince the wife THEN. Since then we all know that gas prices resulted in movement down at every level of the 'SUV Market'.

But that really doesnt address the issue.. FIRST, a car company aint worth a crap unless it listens to its customers. And I mean all its brand aficionados.. not just the ones that buy new. But they ALSO have to keep an eye on their demographics.

Note: The question was asked, I'm responding with a freaking essay. The issue is GM doesn't get it. My opinion is at least half you guys dont get it, either!
Know what a Probe is? It was a Ford skin on a Mazda MX-6 platform. Probe was ALSO the project name for Mustang in the 80's. Know what happened in that venue in the mid-late eighties?
The Mustang Fox platform was sorta blah.. so Ford was deciding where to go with it...
They ALMOST went with the European Sierra platform which some of you have seen here as the Merkur XR4. At least it was RWD. And it was a great modder/performance platform {Cosworth Sierra} in the UK, their version of the Mustang.

THEN they came THIS close to issuing what later sold as Probe as the Mustang. That caused consternation among the masses.. I was there, I recall only too well. The Probe, btw is a GREAT little car but it aint no way a mustang. The consensus among stang freaks was it's better to retire the brand than to make it a joke.
Ford listened. They kept the Fox, did a little facelift, kept improving performance up to the point of the 93 SVT Cobra. THEN did a major facelift and captured the freakin market.

GM responded with more performance for the F body line and making the cars look meaner culminating with the memorable fire and smoke Trans Am tv commercial which made me laugh out loud. For THAT was the death knell of the TransCamaBird. i dont recall anything presented at that time to sell to the secretaries.

See where I'm going here? The Pony car market made their money by selling IMAGE. Image backed up by actual performance but a car company doesnt make any money selling to Sunday racers or Surf fishermen for that matter.
They make money by selling that image. But in a cute and comfy platform.

Secretarys made the Mustang and Camaro a SALES hit.

Housewives and Grandma's made the Escape a hit. First two owners I knew were 60-ish women.

Some of you guys dont seem to get that.. from my intro:

Welcome to the forum also bravadas are cool but blazers are cooler =P Jokeing i think there the same

Oh, yeah? If I'd brought a blazer home, the old lady would kicked my butt. First and last time she check drove a Blazer {1990} she hated it and ended up buying a Mustang convertible instead. She always gripes about the cheap seats when she has to ride in a Suburban or about any Chevy, incly the Lumina she drove for a year after her 95 Taurus died.

She's no dummy.. She'd come back with something like a Lawn chair and Lazyboy analogy.
It's those tweaks that matter.

Talk about clueless. If anyone doesnt get my point drive an Escalade and then your Blazer. Maybe a bigger hammer will work.

THE CAR WAS FOR MY WIFE!!!!

she doesnt a crap about the technical details she only cares about the CABIN and she thought Chevy cabins SUCK and I cant argue with that. Because GM elected to purpose use sucky seat and appointment design on their Chevy brand in order to offer better in the upscale brands. So does Ford but it's a matter of degree in the baseline.

Now for perspective, the PRACTICAL car for what she wanted was a minivan.. I am NOT a bigot.. the minivan was a great idea and still is.

It's the image
of the minivan driver that ruined the market.

If someone had given me an Escalade, though, she wouldnt want it, either. Because the IMAGE would be wrong, for her.
So.. the bottom line is IMAGE, and then when tested, the FIT for the prospective owner/driver.
She hated the Blazer, she loves her Bravada, get it?!!!!

So we're back to the original two posts.

First sell the image but be able to back it up. THEN give the IMAGE buyer what they really want.

Which isnt really to break 14's in the quarter, OR drive down the dunes to the beach.

Just feel like you might if you wanted to. Meanwhile you feel real comfy driving from stoplight to stoplight.

Last edited by pettyfog; 08-02-2011 at 11:23 AM.

Quick Reply: When will GM learn?