Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

Would you trust your blazer on a 1,000 mile trip?

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2018, 11:41 AM
Beginning Member
kwbond is on a distinguished road

Yes I would. 92 with only 39k miles on a brand new 383 stroker, I cruise to Houston and back to DFW, just to put mileage on it.

Old 07-22-2018, 12:24 PM
Beginning Member
VI-Joe is on a distinguished road

In my 2001? Yeah, I would. No worry or hesitation. I have new tires, shocks, and just replaced the starter a few days ago. AC compressor is a brand new GM unit as well and is ice cold. I’m at 138K on it, but the truck was treated like a princess before I got it (has always been in the family). I might be getting a little antsy about my alternator, so I’d have a few common sockets with me just in case. I’ll be using her as my daily work vehicle this year (client to client, all city driving) which is much harder on the truck than any highway cruising. I took many long drives in my dog of a 2.8 powered ‘85. If I survived standing on the gas pedal just to go 30 up a hill with my hazards on, my 2001 with the 4.3 is more than adequate.

My only two hang ups: Fuel economy is the first. I get 16-18 highway, whereas my 2016 Jetta gets 35-41, and is faster, rides nicer, and handles a whole lot better. It really depends on what I’m doing once I get there. Second is snow. It’s a RWD model, and even with good all-season snow rated tires and a set of chains (just in case), that can get dicey on a frozen road (Could always grab a few sandbags for the back, lol). Thankfully, that doesn’t happen a lot in AZ, but a lot of snowy drives are well within 1000 miles.

Mechanically and comfort wise? Without hesitation I’d take the blazer.

Last edited by VI-Joe; 07-22-2018 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:40 PM
Starting Member
Captain Kirk is on a distinguished road

deleted....premature .......

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 07-22-2018 at 12:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 12:46 PM
Starting Member

KWBond
383 Stroker....how about posting a pic with the hood up? What kinda mileage you getting with that motor? 2 or 4 wheel drive; gearing? I personally don't care for the look of the gen 1s but got to admit; yours is clean and looks good (Is the scoop hood functional)?
Originally Posted by kwbond
Yes I would. 92 with only 39k miles on a brand new 383 stroker, I cruise to Houston and back to DFW, just to put mileage on it.

Old 07-22-2018, 01:02 PM
Starting Member

VI Joe
I get 16-18 highway
I have a 98 4x4 4door that I have put way to much time and money into but I Love my truck...I have a posting in this thread a few pages back but I only get 13 mpg highway; so don't feel to bad about the mileage your getting. And this is just my 2 cents but if you do have to replace your alternator I would suggest spending just a bit more money and getting a high output model.

I see you just joined the forum last month....Welcome Sir! Alot of great info here. I spent 30+ yrs in Phx & Glendale; where in AZ are you?

Last edited by Captain Kirk; 07-22-2018 at 01:07 PM.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:15 PM
Starting Member

Red

2 12" subs; 3 amps; 6 other speakers....what tire noise? lol

Originally Posted by blazen_red_4x4
If you would have asked me 4 years ago, no, lol

Today, absolutely yes, although I'd pull the mud tires off first because I don't think I could stand to listen to that rawr for 1000 miles non stop :P

Old 08-13-2018, 12:24 AM
G0LFADD1CT is an unknown quantity at this point

Not at 16 mpg.......no way.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:54 AM
larcon is on a distinguished road

I bought my '99 to drive it! I've been back and forth to Denver and beyond from Missouri several times in it. It lacks power running with a trailer behind me in the mountains but it still gets it done. Transmission runs a little hot towing. Sure I've had problems. First time I went west as soon as I started getting into higher altitudes it started to die and just ran like crap. Figured out it was starving for fuel and replaced the fuel filter and it ran much better and didn't have any problem after that. I replaced the MAP sensor recently and hope it will run even better when I head to the mountains this year. The old one was carbon plugged and the rubber seal was falling apart. Now I just need to flush or replace the aftermarket trans cooler that was on it when I bought it and hope that helps with the heat when I'm pulling my little pop-up trailer. I'm not scared! I can't afford new so I buy cheap and done what needed to be done to get there and back. I just remember to bring my overstocked tool box with me, a jack stand, a small floor jack, a little common sense, and a sense of humor and there is no place that I'm afraid to go with it....except maybe on some way back woods 4wd trail without support with me.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:04 AM
larcon is on a distinguished road

And tires make all the difference. I have a set of Cooper 33 inchers that I run in the winter and I only get 12-14 MPG. My summer tires are just stock sized OEM radials and I get 18-21 MPG. Yesterday when I filled up I was able to eek out 22 MPG for the week. Not bad for a motor with 180,000+ miles that leaks oil all over the place. When it finally does die I'm just going to buy a re-man long block, a case of Budweiser, multiple Imo's pizzas for my fellow grease monkey's, and devote a weekend to swapping the motor out.

Old 08-25-2018, 08:42 AM
2001ZR2 is on a distinguished road

2001 ZR2 Blazer here. Just made a 4000 mile trip over 12 days. Including off roading at the Oregon Sand Dune and taking the 4X4 trail into and out of Cutcher Crossing in Southern Idaho. Was great until the bolts backed out of the drive side brake caliper. Should have checked them after I changed the pads and rotors. So yes I would.

Quick Reply: Would you trust your blazer on a 1,000 mile trip?