Notices
The Lounge For casual talk about things unrelated to Blazers (ie. Off-Topic).

yet another reason to not buy monster cable products

Old 01-16-2012, 01:59 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road
Thumbs down yet another reason to not buy monster cable products

so monster is supporting sopa and they say that sears, criagslist costco and a few others are rogue site and should be shut down, under the same law blazerforum.com would be a rogue site and the owner and all admins would face prison time......but theres nothing to fear from the sopa.....

Monster Cable Claims EBay, Craigslist, Costco & Sears Are 'Rogue Sites' | Techdirt

Monster Cable Claims EBay, Craigslist, Costco & Sears Are 'Rogue Sites'

from the total-failure dept

When we talk about how dangerous PROTECT IP is as a censorship bill, we're often told that we shouldn't worry so much, because it's only targeted at "rogue sites" and thus wouldn't impact any legitimate sites. We're told there's nothing about rogue sites that is worth defending. And yet, as we've seen with the list of "pirate" sites that GroupM put together with help from the music and movie industries, their definition of a "pirate" site is expansive in the extreme. It included the Internet Archive, Vimeo, Soundcloud and a ton of blogs and news sites, including the famed Vibe magazine.

And don't think it gets any different when you hop over to the trademark/counterfeit side of the debate. In Tim's post about Monster Cable lobbying in favor of PROTECT IP, as an aside at the end, he notes that on Monster Cable's own list of "rogue sites," eBay and Craigslist top the list. And it doesn't stop there. Retailing giant Costco is on the list. As is Sears. Also some Backpages sites are listed as well (Backpages is a Craigslist-like classifieds system). There's also FatWallet, which is one of the most popular "deal" listings sites out there. There's also PriceGrabber and ComputerShopper -- popular legitimate sites for comparison shopping and computer purchases. These are not "rogue sites." These are legitimate companies that Monster Cable appears to have a vendetta against, because they allow for or promote the resale of perfectly legitimate secondhand goods.

In other words, for all the misleading whining from Monster about how it needs PROTECT IP to stop "rogue sites," you can see from Monster's own definition of what it considers a rogue site, that it would like to use such things to stomp out legitimate secondhand sales. Now, you can argue over whether or not these sites would pass following a judge's scrutiny under PROTECT IP, but we've seen judges rubber stamp similarly questionable claims against blogs in the past as being "rogue sites."

If you look at both the GroupM and the Monster lists, one thing becomes clear: these companies are defining any site they can't control as being a "rogue site." This isn't about stopping "piracy." It's about using the law to stomp out channels that they can't control. This is a key point that becomes obvious if you spend any time looking at the details of this law. It's not about protecting "IP." It's about protecting old business models that were based on absolute control of the channel. The complaints of the Universal Musics and Monster Cables of the world isn't really about counterfeits and piracy, but about the fact that they no longer have absolute control.

And they're just using "piracy" as the wool to pull over Congress' eyes to pass a law that tries to give them back control over the channel... by declaring tons of perfectly legitimate sites "rogue sites."

41 views and no comments i guess you guys dont really know whats going on and are ok with it

Last edited by swartlkk; 01-16-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: *Combining Consecutive Posts* - Please use the edit function to add additional information in your post if another member has yet to respond.
Old 01-16-2012, 08:08 PM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by serrasalmus
41 views and no comments i guess you guys dont really know whats going on and are ok with it
Please familiarize yourself with the rules of the forum and don't bump your post within 24 hours of posting it. Especially if you are only going to comment on how many views a thread has and follow it up with an ignorant observation... It doesn't have anything to do with the content of the thread.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
BF Veteran
AJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the roughAJBert is a jewel in the rough

I'll admit it, I don't have a clue what the OP is talking about.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:38 PM
Starting Member
serrasalmus is on a distinguished road
Post let your voice be heard

https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

this is the petion to your state senators to help stop sopa and pipa please sign it if u want. let your voice be heard

Old 01-18-2012, 03:02 PM
BF Veteran
Thogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura aboutThogert has a spectacular aura about

I signed it.

Old 01-18-2012, 03:50 PM
BF Guru
xgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura aboutxgiovannix12 has a spectacular aura about

signed it

Old 01-18-2012, 04:49 PM
tibby has a spectacular aura abouttibby has a spectacular aura about
Default .

This is ridiculous! Protest this crap! I hate politics, and politicians are some corrupt grumpy old men! Down with them!

Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
BF Veteran
warthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the roughwarthogdriver is a jewel in the rough

signed....i know its a piracy thing....i am sure its "for the children" ....every time i hear that i cringe!!

Old 01-18-2012, 07:50 PM
BF Guru
rriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond reputerriddle3 has a reputation beyond repute

*Threads combined. Same soapbox, same subject.*

Old 01-18-2012, 08:00 PM
deadmanet is on a distinguished road

Signed it.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: yet another reason to not buy monster cable products