Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

4x4 lowering kit found

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 08:26 PM
blazin 320 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default RE: 4x4 lowering kit found

i just lowered my 95 blazer using 3" blocks in the rear and using the stock keys in the front and got a 3" drop in the front the ride is so much better than stock height only took about a hour and a half to do with basic hand tools you do need to cut the bump stops and a toruqe wrenchto get the u-bolts torqued down to specs

Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 PM
Banned
Chriscursle81 is on a distinguished road

Yeh i went with lowering kit for my 04 4x4 blazer. do i need to get different shackles in order to make the 3 inch lower leaf springs work. Reason y im asking is i had my mechanice install the leafs and he said the shackles were touching the frame preventing the leafs from working. Ive been trying to lower my truck for months and i need some input.

Old 05-27-2009, 07:14 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

ive never heard of anyone need new shackles in order to use new leafs. are you sure the leafs are made for your truck? also what kit did you go with?

Old 06-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Beginning Member
Kjared2 is on a distinguished road

You can lower the front more than 3" just by cranking the torsion key bolts counter clockwise I cranked mine down as far as it would go with out the bolt coming out and the tire was 1" from the fender....Stock I think the tire is like 5 1/2" away from the fender so that's like 4 1/2" inches just by cranking loose the torsion key bolts....That was way to low so I cranked it back up a little and put 3" lowering blocks in for $32.00 at Pepboys and now I have a 3/3 drop

Trimmed the rear pump stops a bit and it rides fine been driving on it for over 1,000 miles and no weird noises or sheared tires.....

It probably could use new front shocks as the old original 13 year old shock are kinda shot but for the most part this is the cheapest way to 3/3 drop a 4x4 blazer or S-10 pickup

A lot of people have been saying that when you lower the front like this you have cv axle problems....just take out the front cv axles now its a 2 wheel drive blazer essentially.....It won't have the 4x4 feature anymore but if your lowering a 4x4
you can kiss off roading good bye anyway......

Lets go hit that trail with 9" of clearance that sound fun.....

Last edited by Kjared2; 06-24-2009 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 05:25 PM
Banned
Chriscursle81 is on a distinguished road

I went with belltech drop shocks, 2 leaf springs from belltech which would lower my blazer 3 in rear then i bought torsion keys for front also 3 inches. They must have sent the wrong leafs cuz we tried every possible way, upsidedown, removing a leaf and still wouldnt fit correctly. I have an 04, 4x4. I looked at kit on performancecenter.com but looks like they went outta buisness. Any inout would help. Im dying to lower my truck. thats all i need now. It will look nice wit my 20s.

Old 06-25-2009, 05:38 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

just curious why anyone would want to lower a 4x4. doesnt that defeat the purpose of having 4x4?

Old 06-25-2009, 09:10 PM
mikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud ofmikeinwi has much to be proud of

why would someone tint their windows or get euro taillights and different rims?? its because they like it and it is their taste and thier vehicle so they do you they want to it. lowering a vehicle doesnt disable the 4wd so if you need it its still there and not everyone likes to go and jack there rides up and go trail riding. if you dont like somone lowering a 4wd then thats your opinion and there is no reason to knock somebody just because they dont do what you think is right.

Old 06-25-2009, 09:55 PM
bobditts is an unknown quantity at this point

arent moderators supposed to be level headed? I didnt attack anyone like you did to me. All I did was ask a simple question. You remind me of the big fat trucker in the beginning of the movie "religilous" who got all upset for Bill Maher asking some simple questions. lol. might want to re-read what I wrote and look to see if I was telling anyone what I think is right.

The purpose of me asking that question was to find out the OPs reasoning behind lowering a 4x4. That was it. And how is lowering a 4x4 similar to tiniting windows or getting euro tail lights. lowering a 4x4 can actually hinder the performance of the vehicle where as a tint or tail lights wont. If you lower a vehicle, you lose articulation, correct? that can come in handy when possibly needing your 4x4.

Last edited by bobditts; 06-25-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:39 PM

i am being level headed, if they OP wants to lower his 4wd why does it matter? it is his choice afterall. tinting widows or adding euro tails is simmilar because not everyone likes the look of it but it doesnt matter what everyone thinks as long as the owner of the vehicle is happy and if somone lowers there 4wd im pretty sure they dont care too much about how much suspension travel they have. lowering a 4wd will not affect how the 4wd system functions one bit(assuming its in good running order) i also do not think i "attacked" you with my previous statement i just simply stated my opinion just like you did. again if the OP wants to lower his 4wd let him and as long as his 4wd is in good running order then it does not defeat the purpose of 4wd IMO.

Last edited by mikeinwi; 06-25-2009 at 10:42 PM.
Old 06-27-2009, 05:42 AM
Beginning Member
blazer206 is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking

Who lowers a 4X4?? I do for one especially when EVERYONE drives on the STREET 90% of the time. Its 100% functional when its lowered. I dont see anything wrong it or it going to waste. Its a beast in snow (w winter tires) and looks way better then stock height or lifted imo but thats just me. I saw it as lifting you get A LOT more problems (killing tranny) then you do lowering it (wearing out front suspension faster).
Check out truckin magaizine.com they did an article on Lifted vs Lowered -Lowering wins- but then again its all what the owner wants..

Quick Reply: 4x4 lowering kit found