Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

79 2wd Lowering Questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 03:32 PM
Starting Member
Hephaestus is on a distinguished road
Default 79 2wd Lowering Questions

Hello everyone,

I have a 79 2wd blazer and I have been entertaining the thought of lowering it a bit. I’ve done some searching around and I’m having a hard time finding much info about lowering the older blazers. I have a good idea about how I want to lower it, I just have some concerns about clearance issues.

Right now it’s at stock ride height, and it has 32x11.5 tires on 15x10 rims. I like look of the diameter and width of the wheels I have on there now, and would like to be able to use something as close to the same size as possible. I plan on eventually moving up to a 17 inch rim, but with roughly the same overall wheel size. I was thinking of using the djm lower control arms that lower the front 3 in, or possibly using drop spindles to lower it 2 in. Does anyone know how large of a wheel I can use with the three inch drop? Or how I can find that out before I buy anything? And if a larger wheel is going to have clearance issues, where is it going to make contact? And is it possible to give a larger wheel clearance? Are there other possible issues I’m not thinking of? If I could somehow keep the same size wheel I have now, or something really close, that would be great.

Thanks in advance, any help you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated.