Lowering Tech This section is for suspension questions related to decreasing the ride height of your vehicle.

AWD lowering?

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2007, 01:21 AM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute
Default AWD lowering?

Vehicle in question is an '01 Bravada. The lowering blocks I found on Summit says "Does not fit AWD models". What's the difference between AWD and 4WD when it comes to lowering? Summit gave me Belltech's number but no one is picking up!

Old 09-05-2007, 06:10 AM
Blazer Forum 2009 Ride of the Year Winner
nj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura aboutnj4x4blaze has a spectacular aura about
Default RE: AWD lowering?

Try looking at a 4wd blazer rear and the rear on your truck and see if they look similar especially the U-bolts. If they look the same then you can use this kit from Belltech #6100 2" blocks or #6200 for 3" drop blocks. Then just get the torsion key for the front.

Old 09-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Administrator
swartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond reputeswartlkk has a reputation beyond repute

There is no difference in the rear end of a Bravada. None, zero. Even when equiped with the auto leveling rear suspension, if you lower it with blocks, I do not think that this will change anything. The auto levelling rear was only rear air assist shocks. Not like my Rainier which has actual air bags instead of springs!

Old 09-05-2007, 02:50 PM
BF Veteran
TripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond reputeTripleBlackBlazer has a reputation beyond repute

So are they afraid of a lawsuit or something when they describe the blocks? Also the 2" ones linked to don't seem to be angled, but the 3" ones do. If it's 2" or less does it not need a correct pinion angle?

Old 09-05-2007, 05:31 PM

I have the 2" one in my hand and they are not angled, but not sure about 3".. I know alot pics shown online are not always what they are actually going to look like... Here's how the 2" drop will look which I am doing.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2463656

Old 09-20-2007, 08:47 PM
BF Veteran

Ok, now what (if any) are the limitations to keeping the stock shocks after a 3 inch drop block in rear, 2 inch t-bar crank in front? Will the stockers be a stiffer ride because they're more compressed than stock once it is lowered? Can you keep them at all or are drop shocks a requirement?

Actually, just took measurements and came up with these (in inches): LF: 4.75, RF 4.75, LR 5, RR 5. Maybe I should get 2 inch drop blocks instead?

EDIT: I originally figured 3 inch blocks because every Blazer I've seen has been lower in the front (including mine) and wanted to level it out. Instead of over-cranking the t-bars I figured I would just bring the rear lower.

Old 09-24-2007, 11:26 AM
BF Veteran

Bump, the blocks should be coming in today, trying to get the info about stock VS drop shocks.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:29 AM

What size blocks did you get??

Old 09-27-2007, 07:33 AM
BF Veteran

Got 2" blocks, cranked the front down. He just had the ball joints replaced so I told him to hold off on the alignment until everything was lowered again. Looks sick! The measurements now are (in inches): LR: 3.25, RR: 3.25, RF:3, LF, 3. I didn't want to crank the front any lower because the passenger's side bolt actually lost all tension. I tightened the bolt back up 2-3 turns back into its threads and matched the driver's side for height. I want to say 8-9 turns counterclockwise was the total drop.

It's odd that drop shocks would actually be longer for the back. I'm still wondering if he would benefit from them. RR shock looked like it had some oil leaking out of it so I'm going to recommend replacing them anyway.

Oh, and the universal drop from Summit DOES NOT WORK on our trucks. The u-bolts are too wide to fit the lower shock mounting plate on the Bravada, and my Blazer. FYI for future DIYer's. I ended up going to a local spring shop and getting u-bolts made.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:11 PM

Universal Drop Blocks?? Why didn't you get the drop blocks from Belltech? I have some for sale with shocks and torsion keys. Post some pics.

Quick Reply: AWD lowering?